Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: Any plans to add the yuzhan vong at some point?  (Read 6146 times)

January 28, 2018, 03:27:24 AM

Offline semillakan6

• Stormtrooper Captain
  • Approval: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Any plans to add the yuzhan vong at some point?
« on: January 28, 2018, 03:27:24 AM »
I am thinking as an end game treat or a new campaign all together I know i would likely take a lot of time to make but are there any plans for it?
"Anyone can make an error, Ensign. But that error doesn't become a mistake until you refuse to correct it."

January 28, 2018, 03:37:33 AMReply #1

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
Re: Any plans to add the yuzhan vong at some point?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 03:37:33 AM »
There aren't presently any plans for that. It'd be a huge amount of work, and there's still plenty left to do in the areas we already cover.
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

January 28, 2018, 05:08:50 AMReply #2

Offline Pali

• Tester
  • Admiral
  • Approval: +39/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 05:08:50 AM »
I can't help but feel that no mod for any game that I've played has really done the Vong justice - their military, political/social, and economic capabilities should feel very distinct from those of other factions, and they rarely do for even one of the three (the Borg suffer similarly in most Star Trek games/mods, in my experience, though Armada 3 for Sins and New Horizons for Stellaris make very noble attempts).  This isn't in most respects the fault of anyone trying to represent them in a game, but moreso a matter of them being mostly overpowered in the lore.  If you err too far on the side of making their abilities analogous to those of the other factions, then they lose their uniqueness and the main benefit of playing them in the first place.  If you err too far on the side of making them unique, balance will almost always become a significant issue - rock paper scissors is easy to keep balanced if all remain untouched, but what happens if the rock suddenly increases in size 50% while paper and scissors remain the same?  Do scissors still lose and paper win, or does the paper need to be made bigger so that it can cover the rock, and then the scissors stronger so they can still cut the paper, and so on.  The Vong, like the Borg, are simply too different from other factions for normal balancing mechanics in most strategy games to feel appropriately representative of the faction's uniqueness without making them too good in the process.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 05:10:32 AM by Pali »

January 28, 2018, 09:13:55 AMReply #3

Offline Rogue66X

• Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 09:13:55 AM »
Sins of a galactic empire has them and they did an ok job with them.

What about the Yuuzhan Vong at war mod how is it progressing I haven’t heard anything about them in awhile

January 28, 2018, 09:44:45 AMReply #4

Offline Legostarwarseu

• Stormtrooper Captain
  • Approval: +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2018, 09:44:45 AM »
I released a submod adding them to Imperial Civil War yesterday! Check it out: http://www.moddb.com/mods/new-jedi-order-compilation/news/released-the-new-jedi-order-compilation-mod-25-aby-pack

The submod has been in development for almost a year and this is the first of many packs adding content from the Yuuzhan Vong War/New Jedi Order era.

January 28, 2018, 02:25:59 PMReply #5

Offline Rogue66X

• Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2018, 02:25:59 PM »
Maybe in a later patch we might see the Preatorite Vong for raid fleets when you the unknown regions are added to the game. 

January 31, 2018, 01:45:10 PMReply #6

Offline Skyline5gtr

• Stormtrooper Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2018, 01:45:10 PM »
It would take a lot to balance something like that

January 31, 2018, 05:55:22 PMReply #7

Offline Rogue66X

• Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2018, 05:55:22 PM »
they would probably be like the new republic, they’d have great shields and fighters but there big ship wouldn’t have be worth a damn

January 31, 2018, 08:30:00 PMReply #8

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2018, 08:30:00 PM »
Vong ships didn't have shields per se. That's an area where we did once figure out what we'd likely do for them to represent Dovin Basals, years ago.
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

January 31, 2018, 09:21:40 PMReply #9

Offline Rogue66X

• Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2018, 09:21:40 PM »
Even if the Vong were added they wouldn’t be able to use there world ships unless hey made super small ones that are only 10 to 20 km

February 01, 2018, 12:27:46 AMReply #10

Offline Mord

• Stormtrooper Captain
  • Approval: +3/-0
  • Princess Leia has had enough of your shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2018, 12:27:46 AM »
Vong ships didn't have shields per se. That's an area where we did once figure out what we'd likely do for them to represent Dovin Basals, years ago.

Well don't leave us in suspense... What did you figure out you'd likely do?

February 01, 2018, 08:41:21 AMReply #11

Offline AppTRL

• Stormtrooper Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2018, 08:41:21 AM »
Ya, like many have pointed out, the Vong simply don't work with most basic strategic game mechanics. Especially FoC's engine tbh.

February 01, 2018, 11:47:55 AMReply #12

Offline Empeor Cooler

• Brevet Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2018, 11:47:55 AM »
Ya, like many have pointed out, the Vong simply don't work with most basic strategic game mechanics. Especially FoC's engine tbh.
Yes, the Vong don't translate well into FOC, they'd be too overpowered if translated over with canon in mind. Also, other than some funky looking units, they wouldn't stand out that much from everyone else due to the limitations of the games mechanics, which would be the primary reason to have them in the first place, to have something totally different.
"You should become a politician." "I'm already a banker, and that's much more vile."- Pors Tonith to Count Dooku

February 02, 2018, 08:43:52 AMReply #13

Offline taupin121

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +6/-4
  • Solo Command
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2018, 08:43:52 AM »
Even if the Vong were added they wouldn’t be able to use there world ships unless hey made super small ones that are only 10 to 20 km

Some of the worldship were quoted at 10 km in Vector Prime. That being said, I would prefer to have the Yuuzhan Vong in Ascendancy. But that should be a nightmare to have them balanced with other factions and still with a specific gameplay which would portray their uniqueness in the lore.

February 02, 2018, 05:02:07 PMReply #14

Offline Rogue66X

• Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2018, 05:02:07 PM »
Sins of a galactic empire gave the Vong good shields and good regenerative abilities and there fighters were ok, there small ships suck there frigates are decent, it’s there capital ships you’d have to worry about they packed a punch like no other and with that shield boost and regeneration abilities it would take several star destroyers to beat one of there capital ships
There world ships are kinda like executors.

February 02, 2018, 05:06:44 PMReply #15

Offline Slornie

• Mod Team Member
  • Moff
  • Approval: +54/-13
  • Every Silver Lining has a Cloud
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2018, 05:06:44 PM »
I would prefer to have the Yuuzhan Vong in Ascendancy. But that should be a nightmare to have them balanced with other factions and still with a specific gameplay which would portray their uniqueness in the lore.
Personally I'd imagine if the Vong ever made it into Ascendancy they'd be handled somewhat like the Borg in Star Trek Armada.
Quote from: RonMaverick291 (Gametrailers)
why do u hate america? if it were not for us u guys would be lost. i mean we invented the tv, we invented the internet, cars and we even went to the planet moon. we won all the wars and we always help the little countries who cant fight and we give food to poor people.

February 04, 2018, 08:34:17 AMReply #16

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2018, 08:34:17 AM »
In terms of in-combat functionality, EaW may ultimately be better for separate ways to negate damage than shields. Sins may end up being better for the economy side. It's hard to say, but I think each game does have probably sufficient mechanical options to make them at least feel unique.

February 11, 2018, 06:33:50 PMReply #17

Offline Squasher04

• Brevet Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2018, 06:33:50 PM »
Its not an imperial civil war if the republic and empire team up, right?

February 11, 2018, 08:58:51 PMReply #18

Offline Schräge Musik

• Brevet Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2018, 08:58:51 PM »
I struggle to imagine how the Vong could be integrated into EaW while remaining unique. Even heavy use of special abilities probably wouldn't be sufficient.

February 11, 2018, 10:09:23 PMReply #19

Offline fireball900

• Brevet Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2018, 10:09:23 PM »
Really it's their odd way of negating damage that would eb the problem. AFAIK there's no straight  '-5 to incoming DPS' that would probably be the most accurate for Dovin Basals.

Worldships could be represented like the Death Stars I suppose.

The real big problem is the lack of models. They would have to be designed form the ground up, even more so than the EOTH does - at least the EOTH has imperial-esque ships, and has technological ships - the Vong ships are all Biological, which would look very different.

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!