Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: What if HV guns and Ion canons prevented Orbital Bombardment  (Read 1874 times)

January 24, 2018, 09:36:46 PM

Offline semillakan6

• Stormtrooper Captain
  • Approval: +0/-0
    • View Profile
It would be cool but kind of broken maybe if hv guns and ion canons prevented orbital bombardment, Like if they are preventing the ships to get in position thanks to the guns pointing at them.
"Anyone can make an error, Ensign. But that error doesn't become a mistake until you refuse to correct it."

January 24, 2018, 09:40:05 PMReply #1

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
Re: What if HV guns and Ion canons prevented Orbital Bombardment
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 09:40:05 PM »
I like the idea, but I'm not sure if it would be doable.
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

January 25, 2018, 07:51:15 AMReply #2

Offline kucsidave

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +44/-4
  • Don't fear your Demons. Make them fear YOU.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 07:51:15 AM »
actually... The shield generators already deny both bombardment and bombing runs within the shield. If we give the HVGs and ICs a HUUUGE shield that covers well over the entire map... then maybe...
Or just a large invisible shield without the slow troops and unable to be shot trough effects(if that is possible)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 07:53:01 AM by kucsidave »
"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster.
And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche

January 25, 2018, 10:23:10 PMReply #3

Offline Rogue66X

• Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 10:23:10 PM »
Thats brings up an idea a planetary shield would be nice it would probably be a shutter shield though so stuff could still pass through it.

For those that don’t know a shutter shield is a type of planetary shield the rebellion used one at hoth it still allowed small things like troop transports to get through.
Encasing shields wouldn’t work they severely damage ships that pass through and would destroy almost all transports going though it(like the one the second Death Star used)

Though torpedo spheres could break through them.

January 31, 2018, 02:17:46 PMReply #4

Offline Skyline5gtr

• Stormtrooper Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2018, 02:17:46 PM »
I like it but from a technical standpoint you would need to disable orbital based on the structure. Solid idea tho

February 11, 2018, 10:17:26 PMReply #5

Offline fireball900

• Brevet Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2018, 10:17:26 PM »
Actually like Kucsidave said, you could just make a large, invisible shield that covers the entire map. Whether the bombardment hitting the shield is visible or not could go either way, and probably be decided by how the mechanics work out.

It makes sense by lore/common sense too - AA guns stop bombing runs, so AO (Anti-Orbital) guns should prevent bombardment. It also gives players a reason to take them out instead of leaving them for last because they have to effect on the ground battle. I actually distinctly remember a couple of times I left them because I was taking out some natives' houses.

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!