Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: Possible Projectile Rework for Thrawns Revenge (and overall of EaW)  (Read 2110 times)

January 16, 2018, 09:02:54 PM

Offline demcalves

• Stormtrooper Captain
  • Approval: +0/-0
    • View Profile
I've been thinking about projectiles in Empire at War and it seems that from playing the game it seems there is only 3 types of projectiles. Those like ion cannon that only do shield damage, those that penetrate shields those that do hull damage. After looking through the xml files I have discovered that some projectiles that have energy damage (it's how the ground ion cannon works) which with certain xml code, the ship can lose it's engines, etc. In general there are a lot of nuances that go into the projectiles, (you can even have death projectiles, that spawn when the main projectile dies!)

I find a lot of this interesting as for a strategy game there is a great potential here to incorporate within the missile, laser, and rocket projectile categories new variations of these to create different projectiles to have unique projectiles. It's something I think this game could use to build around adding more and more ships, which I feel most mods get lackluster when adding lots of ships that have similar weapons.

What do people think? (Hopefully everything above made sense)

January 17, 2018, 07:37:11 AMReply #1

Offline kucsidave

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +44/-4
  • Don't fear your Demons. Make them fear YOU.
    • View Profile
Re: Possible Projectile Rework for Thrawns Revenge (and overall of EaW)
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 07:37:11 AM »
First of all, rockets and torpedoes does not penetrate shields in ICW, as it was not Lore accurate.
Other than that, we separated lasers from turbolasers as well and so on. You can find out more in the manual.
BUT we will rework them again in 2.2 as well. I am just back from a long hiatus(sadly) but if I remember correctly the missles will be separated into two types as well, one being better in ship-to-ship combat, the other being anti-fighter missiles. (I am not sure if this changed or not since then.)
But what is for sure is that the number of pulses in a round will be lowered, while damage output will increase as to lower the number of projectiles on the screen (CPU hellhole) and therefore have less object creation(unit-selection freeze bug will therefore come later)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 07:42:30 AM by kucsidave »
"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster.
And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!