Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: moving turrets/more hard points  (Read 2308 times)

January 15, 2018, 12:43:48 PM

Offline at-dt

• Stormtrooper
  • Approval: +0/-0
  • courage is not fighting fear, but acting inspite o
    • View Profile
moving turrets/more hard points
« on: January 15, 2018, 12:43:48 PM »
during my time in the 2.2 demo that corey and the team gave me to test and review. i notice that the clone wars ships, particularly the providence had  the graphics of the original Foc.
however i have no doubt that this will be changed with the final version of 2.2.
recently i have returned to the mod and discovered this: the providence has to little Turbolaser Hardpoints.
this is optional and my personal opinion but i think turrets that move independently of the ship would be cool especially in imperial ships, and add in depth to the dream of star wars.
corey if you are reading this: over my time on this website  i have done nothing but complain about a certain ship, i am sorry about that and hope that this will provide some input for the fall of the republic :more hardpoints,moving turrets. or 2.2.
 what are your thoughts about these ideas?
J.F

January 15, 2018, 01:28:28 PMReply #1

Offline Bucman55

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +4/-0
  • Come on, boss, when have I ever let you down?
    • View Profile
Re: moving turrets/more hard points
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 01:28:28 PM »
According to Corey, rotating turrets isn’t something that they would do because it’s a huge CPU sink and they want the mod to run well on weaker systems as well. He did say, though, that in the future he might consider possibly doing an add on for them.

January 15, 2018, 04:21:07 PMReply #2

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
Re: moving turrets/more hard points
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 04:21:07 PM »
during my time in the 2.2 demo that corey and the team gave me to test and review. i notice that the clone wars ships, particularly the providence had  the graphics of the original Foc.

Many of the CW-era ships added in the mod between 2.2 and now were using old assets from when FotR originally existed, which was 2007-2008. They either have been, or will be updated. We've shown the Lucrehulk and Providence already, and the Munificent is currently being worked on.

recently i have returned to the mod and discovered this: the providence has to little Turbolaser Hardpoints.

What are you sourcing that on? Our armaments are based on the actual armaments of the ships, proportionally scaled against each other. Turbolasers in general were not especially common in this era, the Providence only had 14 Quad Turbolasers, which in 2.1 translated to 2 hardpoints firing 7 shots. With the projectile reduction, that gets divided by 3 and rounded, so it's 2 hardpoints firing 2 shots each.

this is optional and my personal opinion but i think turrets that move independently of the ship would be cool especially in imperial ships, and add in depth to the dream of star wars.

As Bucman says, this is something we've covered many times over the years- we have no plans for tracking turrets to be a common feature in space for the mod any time soon. They're particularly CPU intensive and one of the main causes of lag in mods where they're common. If we ever did them on most ships, then it would likely be as a separate optional download for people, and we've generally felt our resources were better spent working on things other than splitting the mod into two versions like that.
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!