Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: [ICW] Testing Process & Release Date  (Read 11447 times)

January 13, 2018, 11:42:14 AM

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
[ICW] Testing Process & Release Date
« on: January 13, 2018, 11:42:14 AM »
That's right, the time has finally come for us to tell you all when the time will finally come for you to be able to play Imperial Civil War 2.2. As usual, this news post is available in both text and video form:

Before we go any further, I do want to stress that everything you're about to see is a tentative guideline, not a guarantee. We can't see the future, so we don't know what circumstances will come up, but we're fairly confident in what we have planned.

That being said, as we've discussed in previous updates, the testing of the mod will be handled in a few progressively more open phases. We've been testing the mod internally and with the permanent testers as we've gone, so there's a lot of issues which have been caught and dealt with already, but broader pools of testers make it far easier to test the less common occurrences and figure out things like balance issues, while exposing as few people as possible to the more major issues that tend to come up at the beginning of any testing phase. The goal with this structure is to find the easiest way to get a progressively bigger testing pool while allowing the dev team to focus on actually developing the mod, as opposed to herding a bunch of testers or trying to manually select a huge pool of potential testers.

With that goal in mind, the first bit of open testing will take place on the official Thrawn's Revenge forums in the Admiral's Lounge section. This is a post-restricted board, which requires 25 posts to access. It can be accessed whether you've posted 25 times before, or during the testing period- there is no cutoff date beyond the end of testing. We know there are plenty of people who love the mod and have been just as if not more active in other places, whether that's ModDB, Discord, YouTube comments on Corey Loses, or the Steam Workshop, but the point of this is not to somehow reward or punish anyone for activity or lack thereof- as I said above, this is the simplest way for us to get a narrower but still considerable starting pool of testers that requires the least direct management by the team so we can focus on the more important bits of actually developing the mod. This is about testing it and making it as bug-free and ready for widespread play as possible, not about rewarding anyone with early access or something like that. The forums also provide the best platform to handle the posting of feedback (which is far, far less manageable in the instant-message or comment thread style of, say Discord or Steam), distribution of instructions, patch notes, and the other bits that actually go into testing. This is also not an invitation to spam, which will just annoy us and put us off of doing any sort of open testing in the future if it becomes a problem. When we've done similar testing methods in the past, some people have either tried to spam their way in, or protested that it's unfair, which is why I again reiterate, this is not about who does or doesn't deserve access or something, testing is a very important part of development, and this is the way that lets us maximize feedback and minimize how much effort goes into managing and collecting that feedback instead of actually working on the mod and acting on that feedback. We promise, we are doing our best to make sure 2.2 is as enjoyable as we can make it, and we want as many people to be able to enjoy it as possible, as soon as possible, but we need your cooperation in this

The planned date for the testing to begin in the Admiral's Lounge is:
February 15th.

From here, we'll be testing for around 2-3 weeks in that stage as necessary to work out all the major issues that we can, and finalize any of the content that's still being worked on. Once we have all of that done, we'll be opening the testing board to all forum members to continue on with any balancing changes, bug fixes, etc. Once we're confident that we've sorted out everything we reasonably can, we'll be moving on from there to the final, full release of the mod. Currently we plan to have a version uploaded to ModDB, EaW Nexus, and we'll update the 2.15 Steam Workshop copy to 2.2, so if you haven't subscribed to that, make sure to do so. The Demo workshop item will be removed near the end of testing. Once the testing process is over, we plan to ask a few of the people who contribute feedback and bug reports during the process to stay on as permanent internal testers for our projects going forward.

Our target date for this final release is:
March 29th, 2018

Around that time, we'll start posting about our plans with 2.3 and Ascendancy 1.2, some of which has already started, as well as have a lot more information and content about Fall of the Republic, our Clone Wars-era mod. That's it for now though.

- The Thrawn's Revenge Team
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

January 13, 2018, 11:54:10 AMReply #1

Offline Ordo

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +2/-0
    • View Profile
Re: [ICW] Testing Process & Release Date
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 11:54:10 AM »
The thursday release meme is actually happening.

January 13, 2018, 12:24:20 PMReply #2

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 12:24:20 PM »
Thursday really is the best day to release the mod. It gets it out for all timezones before their weekend starts, and it gives us a day to put out any fires so people still have a whole weekend if they wanna play.
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

January 13, 2018, 02:13:40 PMReply #3

Offline taupin121

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +6/-4
  • Solo Command
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 02:13:40 PM »

Awesome news, I am very looking forward to it !

January 13, 2018, 03:42:49 PMReply #4

Offline Slornie

• Mod Team Member
  • Moff
  • Approval: +54/-13
  • Every Silver Lining has a Cloud
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 03:42:49 PM »
Can we ask Ted if Petroglyph can release a new patch for EAW that Thursday too? Then we can spend all weekend fighting Steam/Workshop fires as well as anything actually mod-related!  :angel:
Quote from: RonMaverick291 (Gametrailers)
why do u hate america? if it were not for us u guys would be lost. i mean we invented the tv, we invented the internet, cars and we even went to the planet moon. we won all the wars and we always help the little countries who cant fight and we give food to poor people.

January 13, 2018, 04:44:59 PMReply #5

Offline Pentastar Enforcer

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +8/-2
  • Hi everyone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2018, 04:44:59 PM »
I am sooooo looking forward to this.
The Galactic Empire - The best thing to happen to the galaxy since Midichlorian counts.

January 13, 2018, 11:35:40 PMReply #6

Offline Illidan Stormrage

• Admiral
  • Approval: +17/-10
  • Killing a Emperor doesnt end a Empire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2018, 11:35:40 PM »
Any information on what content will be included at the start of testing?
"The Empire did nothing wrong obviously" :)
"Your Memes will make a fine addition to my collection"
"YOU ARE NOT PREPARED!"

January 13, 2018, 11:48:30 PMReply #7

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2018, 11:48:30 PM »
Everything except FTGU, Bacta War, Isard's Revenge, Crimson Empire, Reunification, and Final Imperial Push. Some of those may also be there.

January 15, 2018, 02:10:45 AMReply #8

Offline rednax

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +2/-0
  • For the Pentastar Alignment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2018, 02:10:45 AM »
Yum

January 15, 2018, 10:26:41 AMReply #9

Offline Labria

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +0/-0
  • I have good feeling about this
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2018, 10:26:41 AM »
Good news. Finally, new version is so close. 8=)

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”
Yoda

January 15, 2018, 01:41:51 PMReply #10

Offline AppTRL

• Stormtrooper Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2018, 01:41:51 PM »
Been looking forward to this for awhile now  :)

January 16, 2018, 08:39:52 AMReply #11

Offline yutpaeksi

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +13/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2018, 08:39:52 AM »
Thanks for the update Corey! Looking forward to the first round of testing.
"That's not what the Empire would have done, Commander. What the Empire would have done was build a super-colossal Yuuzhan Vong-killing battle machine. They would have called it the Nova Colossus or the Galaxy Destructor or the Nostril of Palpatine or something equally grandiose. They would have spent billions of credits, employed thousands of contractors and subcontractors, and equipped it with the latest in death-dealing technology. And you know what would have happened? It wouldn't have worked. They'd forget to bolt down a metal plate over an access hatch leading to the main reactors, or some other mistake, and a hotshot enemy pilot would drop a bomb down there and blow the whole thing up. Now that's what the Empire would have done."
―Han Solo, to Vana Dorja

January 17, 2018, 04:44:45 AMReply #12

Offline StarBornMichaelh165

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +4/-6
  • Long Live the United Species Republic.
    • View Profile
    • www.YouTube.com
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2018, 04:44:45 AM »
Ok i am SO look forward to this mod....
Greetings my people and welcome to the United Species Republic. Come and join the Republic that is not Like any Republic you never know before come join today. Oh and check out my YouTube and my Fan Fiction Profile OK Everyone.
 [img] file:///C:/Users/Michael/Pictures/my%20photos/Conqueror_superlaser.jpg [img]

January 18, 2018, 04:45:26 AMReply #13

Offline Taessi

• Stormtrooper Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2018, 04:45:26 AM »
I am excited!

January 18, 2018, 08:44:17 PMReply #14

Offline Skyhammer

• Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2018, 08:44:17 PM »
Dang, now I wish I didn't just lurk on the forums so often. Oh well, good to see that things are on track.

January 22, 2018, 05:09:39 PMReply #15

Offline the_trots

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +4/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2018, 05:09:39 PM »
Will testing be open to anyone with admirals lounge access?

January 22, 2018, 09:08:33 PMReply #16

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2018, 09:08:33 PM »
Yeah

January 23, 2018, 04:30:05 PMReply #17

Offline Grand Admiral Rufaan Tigellinus

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +8/-0
  • One of the 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2018, 04:30:05 PM »
Wow, this made my day. Thanks Corey, you're the ultimate mood-lifter!
"To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Maybe those nihilist philosophers are right; maybe this is all we can expect of the universe, a relentless crushing of life and spirit, because the equilibrium state of the cosmos is death" - Arthur C. Clarke

"We even ignited the first atomic bomb on the day commemorating the transfiguration of Christ, thus unconsciously signaling that we intended likewise to transform the world, not only after the light but after darkness - with a blast that burned several times hotter than the surface of the sun." - Stanislav Grof, "Human Survival and Consciousness Evolution"

January 23, 2018, 05:12:40 PMReply #18

Offline Mr.Puerto

• Mod Team Member
  • Admiral
  • Approval: +18/-6
  • Professional Shut in, Steam Name: Mr.puertorican
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2018, 05:12:40 PM »
Very exciting times!
“In this world, whenever there is light, there are also shadows. As long as the concept of winners exist, there must also be losers. The selfish desire of wanting to maintain peace causes wars and hatred is born to protect love.“

January 23, 2018, 09:00:41 PMReply #19

Offline Illidan Stormrage

• Admiral
  • Approval: +17/-10
  • Killing a Emperor doesnt end a Empire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2018, 09:00:41 PM »
Wow, this made my day. Thanks Corey, you're the ultimate mood-lifter!
Mod-lifter? :)
"The Empire did nothing wrong obviously" :)
"Your Memes will make a fine addition to my collection"
"YOU ARE NOT PREPARED!"

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!