Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: The Last Jedi (spoiler free)  (Read 6557 times)

December 19, 2017, 07:01:03 AMReply #20

Offline Grand Admiral Rufaan Tigellinus

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +8/-0
  • One of the 13
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Jedi (spoiler free)
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2017, 07:01:03 AM »
We'll have to save that discussion for a spoiler discussion then.  To me, the soul of Star Wars was absolutely there from start to finish - and was in TFA and R1 as well.  But I suspect that what I view as the soul of Star Wars, and what you view as that soul, aren't quite the same thing.

I'm not saying the fandom shouldn't be pleased - I'm taking amusement in that the fandom is impossible to please, because the fandom is huge and diverse and every individual within loves their own unique combination of things about Star Wars, and so trying to please one will inevitably piss off another.  I've also been amused by how Star Trek Discovery has been received by lifelong Star Trek fans - many similarly say that it hasn't felt like Star Trek, but as another of those lifelong fans I couldn't disagree more in that case either.

Yep, you're right :) I happen to be a Star Trek fan as well (to a lesser extent), but this probably isn't the place to voice my frustration about that franchise too.  ;D
"To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Maybe those nihilist philosophers are right; maybe this is all we can expect of the universe, a relentless crushing of life and spirit, because the equilibrium state of the cosmos is death" - Arthur C. Clarke

"We even ignited the first atomic bomb on the day commemorating the transfiguration of Christ, thus unconsciously signaling that we intended likewise to transform the world, not only after the light but after darkness - with a blast that burned several times hotter than the surface of the sun." - Stanislav Grof, "Human Survival and Consciousness Evolution"

December 19, 2017, 11:01:02 AMReply #21

Offline turtle225

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2017, 11:01:02 AM »
The main characters all had solid arcs, the action was fun and well done, the humor was a great reprieve from the weighty character beats surrounding it.

Note: If you are really strict on spoilers then don't read on but I'll be vague.

I actually disagree with you on these points but I can't be too specific without spoilers. Two of the three main character's arcs could have been avoided entirely if characters in the movie weren't idiots. Only one of the three main characters actually seems to show some development.

The action was fun sure but consistently immersion breaking. Clearly made for Hollywood instead of logic.

The humor I disagree with also. A lot of it felt out of place and gag worthy. I know that humor can be a nice change of pace in a darker story but it just didn't feel natural to me.

I know it is a matter of personal taste so don't think that I'm attacking you or anything, I just didn't feel the same way.

I want to point out that regardless of the Star Wars paint on this movie, it is a badly written movie that has no world building, plot holes, flat/irrelevant/idiot characters and story arcs, and just overall bad writing. I want to make it clear that I don't just hate this movie because Disney made it and killed the EU, but really just that I believe it was a bad movie in general.

December 19, 2017, 04:58:07 PMReply #22

Offline Pali

• Tester
  • Admiral
  • Approval: +39/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2017, 04:58:07 PM »
Addressing any of those points requires a spoiler discussion.  Suffice to say, I don't agree.

December 19, 2017, 05:02:49 PMReply #23

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
  • Approval: +134/-14
  • Nothing shall withstand my ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2017, 05:02:49 PM »
Addressing any of those points requires a spoiler discussion.  Suffice to say, I don't agree.

And I'd be happy to both hear you out in such a discussion and offer civilized debate.
"I do not intend to be the Emperor's servant forever..."-High Inquisitor Jerec

"The New Order has never fallen. Only the Emperor."-Grand Moff Ardus Kaine

December 27, 2017, 04:06:47 AMReply #24

Offline Shermos

• Stormtrooper Captain
  • Approval: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2017, 04:06:47 AM »
I'm honestly surprised so much of the fandom didn't like TLJ. It's not a perfect movie, and since I started this thread, I've come across a lot of critiques which are perfectly valid. The thing I appreciated was that Rian took risks and took the story and lore into a new direction. The biggest complaint about TFA was that it was too similar to the original film, and now people are complaining about TLJ being too different. I can understand criticisms such as what was done with Luke's character, but I can also understand why Rian took him in the direction he did.

Since Disney decanonised the old EU, I wanted it to take Star Wars in a new direction, and TLJ is much closer to what I was hoping for than TFA was. The OLD EU and Disney canon exist in parallel universes in my mind. I can enjoy both.   

December 27, 2017, 06:01:19 AMReply #25

Offline Grand Admiral Rufaan Tigellinus

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +8/-0
  • One of the 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2017, 06:01:19 AM »
I'm honestly surprised so much of the fandom didn't like TLJ. It's not a perfect movie, and since I started this thread, I've come across a lot of critiques which are perfectly valid. The thing I appreciated was that Rian took risks and took the story and lore into a new direction. The biggest complaint about TFA was that it was too similar to the original film, and now people are complaining about TLJ being too different. I can understand criticisms such as what was done with Luke's character, but I can also understand why Rian took him in the direction he did.

Since Disney decanonised the old EU, I wanted it to take Star Wars in a new direction, and TLJ is much closer to what I was hoping for than TFA was. The OLD EU and Disney canon exist in parallel universes in my mind. I can enjoy both.

A much heavier discussion has been going on in the spoiler thread. TLJ is all people are talking about on this forum in recent weeks. But maybe this goes to most Star Wars-related forums at the moment, idk. It certainly seems like a divisive topic. People either love or hate this film. Not many consider it an average one, as I do, for instance.

I absolutely agree with your take on the EU. The "canon" doesn't have anything in common with it, spirit-wise, so they absolutely should be considered to be separate things, which they are. Now I sound like Anton Chigurh, lol. But you're right. The one way for me to deal with my disappointment with TLJ, and the direction the "canon" is going, was to remind myself that Thrawn's Revenge, Heir to the Empire, Knights of the Old Republic, etc., still exist, and won't ever go away.
"To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Maybe those nihilist philosophers are right; maybe this is all we can expect of the universe, a relentless crushing of life and spirit, because the equilibrium state of the cosmos is death" - Arthur C. Clarke

"We even ignited the first atomic bomb on the day commemorating the transfiguration of Christ, thus unconsciously signaling that we intended likewise to transform the world, not only after the light but after darkness - with a blast that burned several times hotter than the surface of the sun." - Stanislav Grof, "Human Survival and Consciousness Evolution"

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!