Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: [FotR] Faction Profile: The Galactic Republic  (Read 11503 times)

December 06, 2017, 01:10:46 AM

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
[FotR] Faction Profile: The Galactic Republic
« on: December 06, 2017, 01:10:46 AM »

We said in the initial announcement for Fall of the Republic that we'll be focusing solely on Imperial Civil War 2.2 until release, save for some art assets, and while that has been the case (so no FotR-specific screenshots quite yet), as we get closer to the Imperial Civil War release we'll be able to start talking about Fall of the Republic a bit more. Keep in mind, while ultimately the mod will cover a larger time period, the first two releases will solely cover the 3 years of the Clone Wars, and that's what this faction profile covers as well.

The Galactic Republic

Leader: Supreme Chancellor Palpatine (22BBY-19BBY)
Capital: Coruscant

Historical Context

The Galactic Republic, for the years leading up to the Clone Wars, did not have a standing regular army. Instead, it relied on sector forces to control their own affairs and deal with any impending threats with occasional help from the Jedi, as in the cases of the Mandalorian Civil War, Stark Hyperspace War, and the Separatist Crisis at Naboo. Some of these sector forces stood out as more powerful than the others, like the Seswanna Defense Force under Ranulph Tarkin, and the Kuati Sector Forces, but all were subjected to strict limits on armament and hyperspace capability by the reforms of the Ruusan Reformation 1000 years prior. Large ships like the Mandator and Praetor classes had long served in these regional forces, sometimes flaunting the longstanding regulations. Ranulph Tarkin in particular spent years attempting to form a more organized defense fleet for the Republic and from 57 BBY to 22 BBY when the Clone Wars began, the Republic Outland Regions Security Force attempted to fill that void with the leadership of Ranulph and later his nephew, Wilhuff Tarkin. After this point, with the outbreak of the Clone Wars, the Republic fully organized and moblized its armed forces, bolstered by millions of Clone Troopers ordered in secret by Jedi Master Sifo-Dyas and supported by all new state-of-the-art warships.

Roster Overview

Within the first two versions of Fall of the Republic, the three eras present will be the three years of the Clone Wars. During the earlier years, there will be a heavier reliance on the sector forces, with the later eras involving more of the Grand Army of the Republic's units and some of the units they developed leading up to the declaration of the Empire. If the two primary factions of FotR could be reduced to their simplest form, then the CIS is quantity over quality, while the Republic is quality over quantity. While their and vehicles ships tend to be smaller than their CIS counterparts, they tend to be a bit better proportionally, and in terms of fighters, significantly outclass the Separatists.

As we're planning to do an initial beta release (0.5) and then a more fleshed out release (1.0), there will be some units left out until the latter release, allowing more time for testing while the additional assets are finished and ideally getting something playable out as soon as possible. The regular text below are unfinished 0.5 units, green are finished 0.5 units, and italics are units planned for 1.0. As ever, plans can change at any time during development, so don't take any of this as being set in stone. Some things will also be added in releases past 1.0.

Space Unit Roster
Praetor I, Imperator, Tector, Mandator II
Acclamator I, Acclamator II, Dreadnaught, Venator, Victory I
Light Assault Cruiser, Carrack, Arquitens, Charger
ARC-170, Delta-7, Eta-2, V-19 Torrent, H-60 Tempest, Z-95, Y-Wing, Alpha-3 Nimbus, NTB-630, PTB-625

Ground Unit Roster
AT-RT, AT-PT, AT-AP, Juggernaut A5, Juggernaut A6, AT-TE, BARC Speeder, LAAT, TX-130 Saber, TX-130T, AV-7, ISP, UT-AT
Clone Troopers (P1), Clone Troopers (P2), ARC Troopers, Jedi

Heroes will be covered in an upcoming post. We do have a poll going where you can vote on which jedi heroes get included by clicking here.

It's currently Mod of the Year time, so if you're so inclined you can vote for any of our projects by clicking on the links below and then the "vote" button on their page. We haven't shown much of FotR, but we'd still appreciate your vote for Ascendancy or Imperial Civil War if we haven't quite won you over yet with the bits we have shown.

Imperial Civil War
Ascendancy
Fall of the Republic

Also, as with ICW and Ascendancy, Corey will be doing some preview FotR livestreams and playthroughs on his Youtube/Twitch channels as the mod progresses. The pages for those can be found hbere:
YouTube
Twitch

So, hopefully that gives you a decent idea of where we're going with the faction. The CIS breakdown shouldn't be too far off.

I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

December 06, 2017, 09:42:05 AMReply #1

Offline Helix345

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +8/-3
    • View Profile
Re: [FotR] Faction Profile: The Galactic Republic
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 09:42:05 AM »
Is the tector a star destroyer or is it a completely separate ship?

December 06, 2017, 09:42:58 AMReply #2

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 09:42:58 AM »
It's the same Tector SD that was in use later.
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

December 08, 2017, 10:56:49 PMReply #3

Offline Bucman55

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +4/-0
  • Come on, boss, when have I ever let you down?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2017, 10:56:49 PM »
Will the Z-95 mentioned be the actual variant used by the Republic in the Clone Wars ( http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Clone_Z-95_starfighter/Legends ) or will it be more like the one seen in the vanilla game?

December 09, 2017, 01:37:55 AMReply #4

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2017, 01:37:55 AM »
Both, depending on instance and time period. First release will likely just be the original Z-95 and not the GAR variant.

December 09, 2017, 03:43:59 PMReply #5

Offline Bucman55

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +4/-0
  • Come on, boss, when have I ever let you down?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2017, 03:43:59 PM »
Fair enough.

December 11, 2017, 03:34:06 AMReply #6

Offline taupin121

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +6/-4
  • Solo Command
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 03:34:06 AM »
I believe you had to quite zoom to see the difference !

January 13, 2018, 05:43:13 AMReply #7

Offline Labria

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +0/-0
  • I have good feeling about this
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2018, 05:43:13 AM »
How will look Praetor I? Will you use this unoficial designs or just model from Praetor II?

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”
Yoda

January 13, 2018, 07:56:58 AMReply #8

Offline SchererSoban

• Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2018, 07:56:58 AM »
Thats a cool ship model right there.

January 13, 2018, 12:22:23 PMReply #9

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2018, 12:22:23 PM »
That unofficial design is the official design for the Tagge Battlecruiser, which Evillejedi and therefore most EaW mods used as the Praetor. We will be using the Praetor II with potentially a few edits, since very few class variants had significant changes in appearance (ISD I/II, VSD I/II, etc)

January 13, 2018, 02:00:29 PMReply #10

Offline Ordo

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2018, 02:00:29 PM »
And any idea how Mandator II will look? Maybe related to if you have any ideas for Mandator III for ICW?

January 25, 2018, 03:46:43 PMReply #11

Offline Labria

• Brevet Admiral
  • I have good feeling about this
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2018, 03:46:43 PM »
That unofficial design is the official design for the Tagge Battlecruiser, which Evillejedi and therefore most EaW mods used as the Praetor. We will be using the Praetor II with potentially a few edits, since very few class variants had significant changes in appearance (ISD I/II, VSD I/II, etc)

I see, If I remenber correctly, You plan use design of Tagge Battlecruiser for Sorannan.

And any idea how Mandator II will look? Maybe related to if you have any ideas for Mandator III for ICW?
Who know, maybe Mandator will have same design like in mod Republic at War.  :laugh:
http://media.moddb.com/images/mods/1/12/11094/mandatorclass.jpg

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”
Yoda

January 25, 2018, 04:26:25 PMReply #12

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2018, 04:26:25 PM »
Who know, maybe Mandator will have same design like in mod Republic at War.  :laugh:
http://media.moddb.com/images/mods/1/12/11094/mandatorclass.jpg

Can tell you 100% for sure we will not be using the Evillejedi design for the Mandator.

January 27, 2018, 05:28:05 PMReply #13

Offline AppTRL

• Stormtrooper Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2018, 05:28:05 PM »
Can tell you 100% for sure we will not be using the Evillejedi design for the Mandator.

That's good news. Never liked that model for the Mandator tbh.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 05:32:08 PM by AppTRL »

January 29, 2018, 08:24:52 AMReply #14

Offline t78

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2018, 08:24:52 AM »
I do hope the Mandator II doesn't look too similar to a star destroyer or the Bellator (which is a Mandator III variant I think?). Ever since Bioware pumped out those Leviathon/Harrower proto SDs I've felt the careful crafting of different aesthetics for different periods has been diluted for cheap nostalgia. I get that Evillejedi's designs are a bit dated, but the slow evolution from a clamshell Procurator (slightly mimicking munificents and dreadnoughts) to the almost wedge-shaped Mandator I, to the almost SD-like Mandator II, told a story of developing technologies, while allowing the Venator to really stand out as the first 'true' star destroyer.

I think that alot of this is down to fractalsponge. For all the brilliance of his designs, I think he is a little too focused on the ISD aesthetic- it takes away an ISD's distinctiveness if ALL large republic warships have that look. His Procurator is well made, but I think it just looks too similar to an ISD for something that's centuries old come the Clone Wars.

Gah, sorry. Just my 2 cents. I'm not arguing in favour of the Evillejedi Mandator, but it would be nice to see some adventurous differences in colour, shape and texture for a pre-Venator/ pre-dreadnought Republic capital ship.

*edit: I accidentally stated Mandator II in relation to the Bellator when I meant Mandator III. That has been corrected.*
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 08:23:16 AM by t78 »

February 02, 2018, 06:04:51 AMReply #15

Offline CaesarCzech

• Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2018, 06:04:51 AM »
Wow The Lore here is deep. I wonder would it be possible to create a Campaign ? instead of just Galactic conquest ? I think if anybody can do it its this team.

February 02, 2018, 08:35:45 AMReply #16

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2018, 08:35:45 AM »
Doing that much story-driven content and all the elemtns that would go into a decent campaign would be a ton of work. Like with ICW, the plan is to start with setting out the opverall storylines, then we can flesh them out with added missions within the GCs, and we'll take that as far as we can.

February 08, 2018, 09:10:15 PMReply #17

Offline Recursion

• Stormtrooper Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2018, 09:10:15 PM »
love this republic roster line up

February 12, 2018, 09:31:24 PMReply #18

Offline fireball900

• Brevet Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2018, 09:31:24 PM »
Personally I prefer these limited GCs with missions to the campaigns. I was always very irritated by the campaign AI in the EAW Campaigns.

April 01, 2018, 06:18:54 PMReply #19

Offline Rogue66X

• Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2018, 06:18:54 PM »
Where are the v-wings ????

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!