Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: The severely disappointing story in Disney/EA's Battlefront II (spoilers)  (Read 19472 times)

February 12, 2018, 03:48:03 AMReply #60

Offline Pali

• Tester
  • Admiral
  • Approval: +39/-2
    • View Profile
I suppose it comes down to intent. If someone does a military strike against a factory it's with the intention of putting the factory out of commission, worker deaths are not the desired outcome, they are a byproduct. Collateral as it were. In contrast with the executions, the goal is to instill terror by deliberately targeting and publicly killing the workers themselves, so the factory becomes the secondary objective there, it's about an object lesson with the deaths being the primary objective.

I missed the question, but this is largely my answer.  I'd only add that there is also a significant difference not only in intent but also in execution.  Bombing the factory kills the workers as an unfortunate byproduct of serving a military goal (reducing your enemy's capacity to wage war), but if you've already captured the factory then there is no longer a legitimate military purpose to be served by harming the former workers - your enemy's capacity for war will not be harmed by the act.  The very ruthless might argue that dealing with prisoners diminishes your own capacity to wage war, and they aren't entirely wrong in that as you do have to devote resources to securing and maintaining captives, but pretty much every international treaty regarding rules of war has refused such reasoning as inhumane - and the strategic fallout of such massacres can make one's overall military situation worse, as knowing that they will not be treated well will reduce the willingness of enemy soldiers and civilians to surrender, while simultaneously harming one's situation politically by making it far more difficult to claim any moral high ground over one's foes.  German soldiers in WWII were FAR more willing to surrender to UK or US troops than they were to Soviet ones, and with good reason.

February 12, 2018, 11:30:14 AMReply #61

Offline Lukii0141

• Stormtrooper Captain
  • Approval: +0/-0
    • View Profile
I think the legends story is way better than disneys "new" canon story and the BF II campaign wasnt that good story wise. It would be better if iden didnt switcht the sides.

February 12, 2018, 09:54:02 PMReply #62

Offline fireball900

• Brevet Admiral
    • View Profile
According to Hask they were evacuating the planet. They started with personnel then civilians which begs the question. Where did these people evacuated go? Vardos somehow still was loyal to the Empire but i am not entirely sure.

One example was when the rebellion began bombing Coursant and killing civilians. They also took out vengeance family members of Imperials in order to force Imperials to surrender.

What bothers me the most is that why Iden and Del were pardon for all the warcrimes they commited being th e elite memebers of the Empire, while low level officers were excuted? What is this bullshit?

The bullshit known as 'politics'

February 16, 2018, 10:26:19 PMReply #63

Offline Hairybum74

• Stormtrooper Captain
    • View Profile
This game really wasn't what anyone expected. They expected some awesome, content heavy, Star Wars FPS, but instead got a game where you need to buy DLC to have fun. Also, the story sucked. Long Story Short, the game kinda sucked.

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!