Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: Nebula and endurance talk  (Read 4476 times)

October 22, 2017, 04:24:00 AM

Offline MasterXendrex

• Stormtrooper
  • Approval: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Nebula and endurance talk
« on: October 22, 2017, 04:24:00 AM »
Hello everyone,

i'm new here since yesterday but followed the forum in the past,
another thing is that i come from germany and my english may not be the best.
I  registered yesterday night because i have a few suggestions and questions about the
new reublics ships.
So my favorite nr ship is the nebula/defender class sd,last week i played skirmish
and i noticed that the nebulas have not the best shields, but they really should
some site even stated that they had better shields then the moncalamari cruisers.
You should know that i use the nebulas as the ship that protects my carriers,
a fleet normally looks like that; 1 nebula 2 endurance 4 sacheens 2-4 corvettes 24x wings
                                              12 e wings and maybe 3-4 assault-frigates.
so i really need a strong defense and strike ship what the nebula shoud be and is.
In a 1v1 with a bit micromanage i even destroyed a phalanx destroyer, but in a battle situation
the shields go down like nothing, also they could be a bit faster and their maneuverability
could be better  as well because when the shields are down it is no match for nothing that means
i have to pull the sd out very quickly. So i boasted the shields from 6000 to 9000 or something like that
i also increased the shield refresh rate a bit, aswell as the speed and maneuverability.
In skirmish i destroyed thrawns sd with no problem after that palleons ship as well,
my shield were down to 60% wich seemed pretty ok. After that i engaged 2 imp. 2 sd
and a victory my nebula ended up destroyed with the vsd and 1 sd crushed and one sd nearly down.
I find that ok but i want to ask you because you may dont have the eyes of a nebula lover.
in gc i destroyed 2 nebs. with my fighter ball of death pretty fast(i play from ground up).
But when i fought angainst a preator i was able to hold it of so my fighters took the
shields down with the nebula destroying the preator with 20% shields left.
So please give me feedback about my changes.
My other point is the endurance, beautiful but too much population-cost.
I noticed that they are week as hell, like 2 carracks should be abe to damage it heavily
wich is ok so i would suggest to increase speed and maneuverbillity as well so you can pull it out faster
So my qouastions are is my moded neb. too powerful
and what do think about the endurace at all as a carrier?
Also do you think my fleet is ok as a attack force?

last but not least i want to say that thrawns revenge is my favorite mod
and with so much love in it these are only suggestions and feedback
from a fan.
have a nice day
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 04:26:16 AM by MasterXendrex »

October 22, 2017, 05:13:03 AMReply #1

Offline kucsidave

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +44/-4
  • Don't fear your Demons. Make them fear YOU.
    • View Profile
Re: Nebula and endurance talk
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 05:13:03 AM »
hello there and welcome to the forums.
It has less to do with lore than balance. You see, we want to make a balanced game that is fun and to play, and then pack it as much lore as possible.
The Nebula class is supposed to be a glass cannon in the context of the mod. It packs a punch and it is better than it's imperial counterpart, the ISD II. But for this firepower, it has very low shields and they regenerate very slowly.
Your modification to the nebula would make it pretty OP.
First of all, it is not meant to go to 1v1 against a Praetor. It is meant to go head to head against ISDs, ISDI IIs and similar sized capital ships.
The fact that it can destroy a Phalanx in 1v1 as you said is a testament that it is a good ship for it's price.
About the Endurance, it is a carrier and is not meant for ship-to-ship combat. It's strenght (and pop cap) is coming from the ammount of fighter it releases. Not all of them comes out at once, mind you. It has a lot of fightwers in reserve, so you can have fighter suppor long into the battle, when any other ship would have been long ran out of fighters.
Your fighters are much better than their respective imperial counterparts, so fighter supperiority is always a good friend for the NR player. Also mind that most your fighters are equipped with proton torpedoues, which help a lot against capital ships as well, so an endurance kept safe can cause serious headaches to the enemies if the battle gets too long for them to keep up.
In skirmish, I have to admit it is less useful than in GCs where the rinforce pool is limited, but if used properly, you can use your fighters from the endurance as bait to pull out the enemy fighters or corvettes and trap them, cutting them off from the fleet, and leaving it without anti-fighter defences.
"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster.
And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche

October 22, 2017, 06:02:24 AMReply #2

Offline MasterXendrex

• Stormtrooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 06:02:24 AM »
ok, thank
you for your fast answer
I will change the nebula to the old numbers if i find them.
But what do you think about a power to shields ability or increaseing
the speed.
Do you think the nebula is the right command ship for my fleet
because i only use 1 and 2 endurance.
The same things i would suggest for the endurance (shield ability and
speed). What do you think about my fleet in general.

Also the neb. had a huuggge amount of fighter support when fighting the Preator. The neb.  was able
to hold it's ground so the fighter swarm took the shields down just in time,
without the fighters the nebula would have been destroyed easily.

October 22, 2017, 11:05:14 AMReply #3

Offline Bucman55

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +4/-0
  • Come on, boss, when have I ever let you down?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 11:05:14 AM »
This is in the wrong section buddy, this is for FotR discussion.

That being said, I find the Nebula to be a very good ship. My fleets always involve numerous Mon Calamari Cruisers so they are the ones taking most of the firepower while the Nebula SDs can unleash all of their firepower without being in trouble.

October 22, 2017, 11:59:40 AMReply #4

Offline MasterXendrex

• Stormtrooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2017, 11:59:40 AM »
Jeh, noticed it when it was already too late :P
But thanks for your opinion on the neb: :D

October 22, 2017, 01:19:16 PMReply #5

Offline the_trots

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +4/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2017, 01:19:16 PM »
In my 2.15 installation I boosted the shield refresh rate of the Nebula and Endurance, and lowered the population cost of the Endurance.

I disagreed with the mod team that the Nebula should be a glass cannon considering their typically high attention to detail referencing the legends canon.   All this worry about OP Nebulas while the Pentastar Alignment spams massive fleets of OP Preators with free SSD's.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 01:21:50 PM by the_trots »

October 22, 2017, 02:06:06 PMReply #6

Offline MasterXendrex

• Stormtrooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2017, 02:06:06 PM »
That is what i thought as well, the neb. was a superpowerful ship with the best technology available at his time,
but i can understand the Point of the team, but when the empire gets alligance sd the neb. should get a shield boast ability or a better refresh rate.
Also, do you know how the mod nebula performs against a Tector sd?
How do you use the neb. in your fleet? I use it as the command ship that stays with my 2 endurance behind and strikes only if it is nessesery.
 ;)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 02:15:47 PM by MasterXendrex »

October 23, 2017, 03:01:22 AMReply #7

Offline taupin121

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +6/-4
  • Solo Command
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2017, 03:01:22 AM »
In my 2.15 installation I boosted the shield refresh rate of the Nebula and Endurance, and lowered the population cost of the Endurance.

I found the pop cost of the Endurance to high too.

October 23, 2017, 07:22:30 AMReply #8

Offline MasterXendrex

• Stormtrooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2017, 07:22:30 AM »
I would
lower the Pop cost and give the endurance the ability to increase Speed for escaping a star destroyer or something like that...

January 17, 2018, 03:29:46 AMReply #9

Offline taupin121

• Rear Admiral
  • Solo Command
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2018, 03:29:46 AM »
When you see the fighter complement of the Venator is 4/12 and that of the Endurance 5/11, even considering the quality of the NR fighters, it's not fair, particulary for a pop cap of 7. According to Cracken's Threat Dossier, the Endurance have two wings (12 squadrons ?) with one of Defenders and K-Wings (probably one group of 3 squadrons each) and one of snubfighters while Starships of the Galaxy Sourcebook quote 5 squadrons + 2 wings (15 squadrons in total ?) for the Endurance. I therefor think its fighter complement should be something like 6/12 or 5/15. I can understand why the Executor's fighter complement was upgraded compared to the lore but I don't understand that "downgrade" of the Endurance which should be one of the best ship of the NR. That's somewhat apply to Ascendancy as well.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 05:27:56 AM by taupin121 »

January 17, 2018, 04:14:28 AMReply #10

Offline Bucman55

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +4/-0
  • Come on, boss, when have I ever let you down?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2018, 04:14:28 AM »
When you see the fighter complement of the Venator is 4/12 and that of the Endurance 5/11, even considering the quality of the NR fighters, it's not fair, particulary for a pop cap of 7. According to Cracken's Threat Dossier, the Endurance have two wings (12 squadrons ?) with one of Defenders and K-Wings (probably one group of squadron each) and one of snubfighters while Starships of the Galaxy Sourcebook quote 5 squadrons + 2 wings (15 squadrons in total ?) for the Endurance. I therefor think its fighter complement should be something like 6/12 or 5/15. I can understand why the Executor's fighter complement was upgraded compared to the lore but I don't understand that "downgrade" of the Endurance which should be one of the best ship of the NR. That's somewhat apply to Ascendancy as well.

I think you're forgetting that New Republic fighter wings are only 3 squadrons so if we take the Starships of the Galaxy Sourcebook number of 5 squadrons + 2 wings, that only comes out to 11 total squadrons.

January 17, 2018, 05:26:42 AMReply #11

Offline taupin121

• Rear Admiral
  • Solo Command
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2018, 05:26:42 AM »
I think you're forgetting that New Republic fighter wings are only 3 squadrons so if we take the Starships of the Galaxy Sourcebook number of 5 squadrons + 2 wings, that only comes out to 11 total squadrons.

I've always read that a NR wing is composed of 5 or 6 squadrons but look like I was mistaken. 11 seems not much for such carrier.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 05:36:31 AM by taupin121 »

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!