Off Topic > The Lounge

How Do We Feel about J.J. Abrams' Star Trek Reboot?

(1/3) > >>

GreyStar:
I have conflictong feelings on it despite not being into Star Trek.

The way the plots are written are nice but the execution tends to fall flat in some cases for me. Like all of Discovery tried to be some "deep" deconstruction of Star Fleet and what we got was a generic action movie. Which was a shame.

Slornie:
I really enjoyed all three and am still hoping for a fourth.  IMO they're better than at least half of the previous 10 movies! :)

TonPhanan:
To me, it's mostly like the new SW movies, they have some sort of other feel to it. Doesn't mean that I didn't enjoy or even hate them, they just feel a bit off in comparison to the older ones since they kinda create another sort of atmosphere and focus more on other aspects of the respective universes, meaning that especially the ST reboots feel a lot more action-packed and non-'philosophical' than the older ones - the SW sequels lack a bit of that fairy tale thing the original trilogy had a ton of, which even the prequel trilogy managed to capture (despite the horrible dialogue :x). As I said, don't get me wrong, they ain't bad movies, at all IMO. Or maybe it's just due to the directors changing, dunno. The first time I saw either of them, I had to get accustomed to them, but after that, and seen as a stand-alone thing, I quite enjoyed them all. Definitely not as bad as other reboots we had to endure due to Hollywood lacking any imagination ;> - and way better than the abysmal trainwreck with spock's brother searching for god. That was awful.

GreyStar:
I don't really like them. Not because they're far different from the previous movies but because I find the action too boring, at least in Discovery. The action of Into Darkness I like a lot more. Discovery was a solidly average movie, lot of potential, not the best execution as the plot felt a bit thin in the end. Reasoning for why pepple are shooting at each other is really the key to making an action movie I like. This was something Into Darkness accomplished, in Discovery the motivations were less impactful and didn't live up to the director's commentary.

Revanchist:
Well Discovery is the new series set in the Prime canon universe. Way better than the Abrams Star Trek for sure. Now I liked them (except Into Darkness), but they weren't Star Trek. They were generic action thriller with a Star Trek skin thrown on.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version