Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: Emergent factions query.  (Read 2302 times)

September 25, 2017, 12:32:08 PM

Offline t78

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +3/-0
    • View Profile
Emergent factions query.
« on: September 25, 2017, 12:32:08 PM »
So, when I was listening to Corey’s playthrough yesterday, I heard him say that there was talk of allowing raid fleets to stay on the strategic map after a battle. It did seem a little odd that a random faction gets to pop up in the middle of a war between two other factions, but hey, ho.

Nonetheless, this did give me a thought regarding emergent factions. A lot of people have occasionally posted about a pirate faction, and have been told that it would be a bit odd to have a pirate faction conquering the galaxy. This I agree with- all those ‘Black Sun’ factions always seemed oddly flush with manpower and logistical capability. Fantasy this may be, but that did stretch suspension of disbelief.

Things change slightly with the emergent faction mechanic. Instead of a faction that actively grabs territory, what about a group that springs up in a small group of lawless outer-rim systems and simply sits on a system it takes? No ground battles, just destroying a station and dominating orbit. Not so much organised crime as utter chaos.

Here’s the tricky bit: If you wish to avoid skirmishing with such outmatched forces every hour, then simply place a number of units in orbit, which suppress the pirates. Say, 4 units or more prevent them from emerging.

Thus, some worlds have a little extra-flavour. Do you want to take that planet and be stuck with a small-but-draining garrison force, or will you avoid it to avoid the hassle? (might you pay the Hutts protection money?)

And yes, it could still be irritating... but getting bounties for every pirate killed might lessen that abit.

If this works, then this could also be applied to the unknown regions- showing the EotH as a guardian against the horrors of the unknown- say, a small (space only) Siruuvi/Silentium fleet that emerges in two systems, forcing whoever conquers that region to place units in a custodian/sentinel role in those systems. It might be odd having them simply sit on territory, but that might be handwaved away as ‘they’re blockading the system for their own inscrutable gains’.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 12:33:40 PM by t78 »

September 25, 2017, 07:17:00 PMReply #1

Offline nightraven1901

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +1/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Emergent factions query.
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 07:17:00 PM »
I don't like freely-generated (not paid for by any faction's economy) raiding as a general idea much anyway, let alone a world that just keeps copping that despite being being behind the battle lines. That nonsense is why I disliked the expansion- or at least, was compelled to ruin the Consortium first and foremost to stop the incessenat rebuilding and decorrupting. I'm all for personality, but constant, non-critical battles are a good way to introduce a good measure of tedium too. I would prefer some other method for these worlds, mate.

September 28, 2017, 01:19:23 PMReply #2

Offline carpemark

• Stormtrooper Captain
  • Approval: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 01:19:23 PM »
Reminds me of Start Wars: Rebellion - an awesome game 1998 - Social unrest or espionage could turn a system and it can even just go independent.
Typically we've been building a few fleets and a grouped army to take over planets. It would be nice to have a system that's undefended suddenly turn over and go it alone.
Space is chaos as well as war.
I for one welcome our new exulted overlord.... ahem, whats your name again?
I don't think the pirates should be linked - may be too difficult to program...
Democracy must be defended.

October 14, 2017, 05:07:12 PMReply #3

Offline t78

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2017, 05:07:12 PM »
Sorry for taking so long to reply!

"Typically we've been building a few fleets and a grouped army to take over planets. It would be nice to have a system that's undefended suddenly turn over and go it alone."

Mega-fleets was the reason for my thought here- having to actually occupy/ administer etc.

That said, Nightraven has a point- having to double back to retake things could be tedious. I don't think it could be linked to an unrest mechanic either due to the need to have structures/ mechanics to raise population happiness etc. It might not be possible at all with hard coding, and if possible would take ALOT of work. Probably far too much.

Given all the complications, IF I obtain some coding ability/ the map editor gains certain features then I might try a sub-mod on my own to test things out and offer things to people that want them...

October 14, 2017, 10:30:31 PMReply #4

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
  • Approval: +134/-14
  • Nothing shall withstand my ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2017, 10:30:31 PM »
Sorry for taking so long to reply!

"Typically we've been building a few fleets and a grouped army to take over planets. It would be nice to have a system that's undefended suddenly turn over and go it alone."

Mega-fleets was the reason for my thought here- having to actually occupy/ administer etc.

That said, Nightraven has a point- having to double back to retake things could be tedious. I don't think it could be linked to an unrest mechanic either due to the need to have structures/ mechanics to raise population happiness etc. It might not be possible at all with hard coding, and if possible would take ALOT of work. Probably far too much.

Given all the complications, IF I obtain some coding ability/ the map editor gains certain features then I might try a sub-mod on my own to test things out and offer things to people that want them...

That would add to the general chaos of the post Endor period, but coding for it might be problematic.
"I do not intend to be the Emperor's servant forever..."-High Inquisitor Jerec

"The New Order has never fallen. Only the Emperor."-Grand Moff Ardus Kaine

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!