Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: Gravity Wells.  (Read 1788 times)

September 21, 2017, 01:57:17 PM

Offline t78

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +3/-0
    • View Profile
Gravity Wells.
« on: September 21, 2017, 01:57:17 PM »
In the legends canon, if you got an enemy trapped in a planetary gravity well, you didn't need interdictors. Just out of curiosity, is it possible to give some maps a gravity well that you cannot warp out of? Basically you'd have to get to the edge of it before you could leave. Thus the NR wouldn't have to endlessly worry about getting interdictors if it wanted to trap and engage an SSD so long as it engaged that SSD in the gravity well.

September 21, 2017, 02:52:49 PMReply #1

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
Re: Gravity Wells.
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 02:52:49 PM »
I'm sure there's ways to make it so some maps can't be retreated from at all, but that would just be incredibly frustrating for most people, most of the time.
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

September 21, 2017, 03:52:02 PMReply #2

Offline t78

• Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 03:52:02 PM »
I re-read my comment, and it hit me that I suggested that the entire map should be the gravity well. I do apologise. I can easily imagine an entire map well being incredibly tedious.  I meant a circle somewhere in the map that ships would not be able to retreat from. A reasonably large circle, but nothing that encompass the entire map itself.

(and if you meant that too, or that only a non-retreatable map could be done then I understand)

September 22, 2017, 01:48:46 AMReply #3

Offline nightraven1901

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 01:48:46 AM »
Eh, might be doable, but implementing it would dilute the effectiveness of existing interdictors, and seriously up-f** some carefully-achieved balance. It might not be a terrible idea, but I am fairly sure it'd annoy more people than it would make happy. But, it's not like it's be difficult to make a new marker for the mapmaker to draw a circle that acted like the effect for ground battles retreats (anything not in a reinforcement point when the timer hits zero is left behind and considered dead) but just because it can be done doesn't mean it should. I don't want to deal with it- I'm happy with "there's an active gravity-well generator around" and "there's not currently a gravity well generator in the area." Nice and simple binary choice. Doesn't leave any room for confusion.

September 22, 2017, 07:45:29 AMReply #4

Offline t78

• Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 07:45:29 AM »
If it would mess up balance, then it would probably not be the best idea then.

Thanks for the response though- I do appreciate being told why things wouldn't work.

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!