Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: ICW Tabletop Game  (Read 2872 times)

August 12, 2017, 09:48:07 AM

Offline WarlordOfWildSpace

• Tester
  • Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +2/-0
    • View Profile
ICW Tabletop Game
« on: August 12, 2017, 09:48:07 AM »
Hey everyone, I have a gaming group that I am getting together, interested in the idea of playing out a tabletop Imperial Civil War campaign utilizing the games from Fantasy Flight, namely X-Wing, Armada and Rebellion.

The baseline idea is that, using the Armada campaign 'The Corellian Conflict' as a guide, design a galactic scale conflict in which each player is a warlord attempting to take over the remains of the Empire.  X-Wing will be utilized for early skirmishes and specific missions later on, while Rebellion will be used primarily for its pieces as map markers, with the possible inclusion of some of its mission and hero rules as I become more familiar with them (Just got the Rebellion game and there is a more mission based expansion coming out soon).

Each player has two choices to make at the beginning of the game.  The first is their command ship, which will be either the more direct Decimator or the more command oriented Lambda-Class Shuttle.  The second choice is who they are, their character in the game.  The second choice is divided into 7 options; Governor, Fleet Officer, General, Intelligence Agent, Vassal, Flight Leader and Dark Jedi.  Each provides a different set of bonuses, yet to be determined, that will affect your playstyle.  (One player is allowed to represent the New Republic, beginning with their choice of freighter and choosing a Rebel appropriate version of one of the character classes)

While you, yourself, are a character in this game, you will also have the ability to recruit other notable characters into your faction through a second resource, 'Renown', which will be gained both through winning battles and through controlling certain key systems.  This takes the place of the 'Campaign Points' used in the Corellian Conflict campaign.

There is still a long way to go on this game design, but I wanted to see if anyone here had any thoughts to share, if anyone has attempted something similar, etc...  Eventually, when I am done, I will make a pdf of the rules and the map hopefully that I can upload.

Edit: Planets: (Taken from both Legends and Cannon as this is for fun and an alternate timeline)
Bastion, Muunilist, Dantooine, Mygeeto, Nirauan, Ilum, Ord Mantell, Ciutric, Dathomir, Serenno, Yavin, Mandalore, Zygerria, Korriban, Felucia, Mon Cala, Wayland, Myrkyr, Iego, Saleucami, Hapes, Kashyyk, Boz Pity, Umbara, Kessel, Honoghr, Anaxes, Coruscant, Kuat, N'Zoth, Toydaria, Nal Hutta, Corellia, Byss, Tsoss Beacon, Carida, Chandrila, Bothawui, Lothal, Odik II, Kamino, Hypori, Geonosis, Tatooine, Rodia, Ryloth, Christophsis, Malastare, Naboo, Vergesso, Sullust, Eriadu, Sluis Van, Dagobah, Utapau, Elrood, Mustafar, Polis Massa, Bespin, Hoth, Endor, Bakura, Cato Neimoidia, Hosnian Prime, Scariff, Jakku, Jedha, Pantora, Lasan, Takodana, Centares, Hakassi, Crseih, RZ7-6113-23, Etti IV, Oseon, Orinda, Eadu, Lah'Mu, Wobani, Kallist, Tammuz-an, Ruusan, Antemeridias, The Maw

Current total: 86
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 09:52:59 AM by WarlordOfWildSpace »

"Nothing worthwhile is ever gained without risk."
-Grand Moff Disra

August 12, 2017, 11:56:06 AMReply #1

Offline DarthRevansRevenge

• Admiral
  • Approval: +14/-3
  • Your empire is doomed. Revan has returned
    • View Profile
Re: ICW Tabletop Game
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 11:56:06 AM »
Go for it. do it. this sounds like an amazing idea.

will we always be warlords, or can we be like, say, Hutt empires, crime Syndicates, New Republic, and isolationist factions as well? or always warlords?

also, can there be some like capture abandoned fleet missions, like Katana fleet, or an abandoned group of Star Destroyers, or say a damaged, adrift Executor? because that would also add depth.

and i assume building an Executor(if allowed) is Crazy Expensive and crazy Hard, correct?
do you know what really makes me mad? that the NR didn't make as many different SSDs as the empire. they would have won much faster had they done so. it's just not fair. but, if their were more NR SSDs, they would be absolute SUPER-CARRIERS.

but, i'm a member of the PA at heart, and my wish here is to join the ranks of grand admirals... sorry, the elite imperial alignment

August 13, 2017, 09:11:40 AMReply #2

Offline WarlordOfWildSpace

• Tester
  • Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 09:11:40 AM »
Oh yeah, an executor would be expensive.  Eventually I want to have a list of missions based on things from the Star Wars universe, the Katana fleet is a great idea, but I would need to buy some Dreadnought ships from Mels Miniatures, or tailor the mission to include different ships.  One player can be the New Republic and the 'Vassal' option exists to encompass groups like the Hutts, CSA or Centrality.

Trying to set a limit on number of planets/systems for the map, currently going to cap it at 100.  Any recommendations on 'must haves'?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 09:15:35 AM by WarlordOfWildSpace »

"Nothing worthwhile is ever gained without risk."
-Grand Moff Disra

March 12, 2018, 04:28:22 AMReply #3

Offline taupin121

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +6/-4
  • Solo Command
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 04:28:22 AM »

I've tested Armada on Vassal and found it very interesting. Is anybody have produced cards for Thrawn's Revenge's ships? I would really interested to add ships from the mods to the current ship roster. I found some here.

March 13, 2018, 12:09:23 AMReply #4

Governor Colex

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 12:09:23 AM »
Got anything concrete yet, Warlord?

March 15, 2018, 11:34:17 AMReply #5

Offline Zbro19 captain for the EOTH

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018, 11:34:17 AM »
This sounds like a awesome idea. I hope it works.out. i just got introduced to xwing and armada about 2 months ago.

March 16, 2018, 01:06:39 PMReply #6

Offline Pentastar Enforcer

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +8/-2
  • Hi everyone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2018, 01:06:39 PM »
Ive always wanted to get into the table top games after seeing them being played at Celebration.
The Galactic Empire - The best thing to happen to the galaxy since Midichlorian counts.

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!