Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: Convoys, partisans and access to worlds.  (Read 1863 times)

July 01, 2017, 02:10:35 PM

Offline t78

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +3/-0
    • View Profile
Convoys, partisans and access to worlds.
« on: July 01, 2017, 02:10:35 PM »
I have some questions regarding raid fleets, non-combat units, and access to certain worlds.

Is it possible to have an incoming raid fleet turn out to be a friendly convoy? Essentially it might be civilian craft or freighters/transports aligned with you. They make their way across the map then leave. Defend them and you get a credits boost. Lose them and you lose credits.

Conversely if it is a convoy in enemy territory, then you either destroy it for credits, or fail and miss out. 

Secondly, is it possible to create a unit that can raise forces in enemy territory? A 'partisan' if you will.  Put it in an enemy system, instruct it to 'raise forces', and a small collection of units appear. (money and pop cap slots are taken of course)

Lastly, is it possible to deny enemy access to a planet next to their territory but let your forces enter and depart that system?

Hope these aren't too niche/ridiculous/ been asked before. I have some ideas sprouting from these queries.

July 09, 2017, 08:39:15 PMReply #1

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
Re: Convoys, partisans and access to worlds.
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 08:39:15 PM »
Is it possible to have an incoming raid fleet turn out to be a friendly convoy? Essentially it might be civilian craft or freighters/transports aligned with you. They make their way across the map then leave. Defend them and you get a credits boost. Lose them and you lose credits.

This is actually fairly close to one of the additional "battle events" we've talked about, though more likely to be a 2.3 thing.

Secondly, is it possible to create a unit that can raise forces in enemy territory? A 'partisan' if you will.  Put it in an enemy system, instruct it to 'raise forces', and a small collection of units appear. (money and pop cap slots are taken of course)

Technically, that's how emergent factions work, but spawning units in controlled territory without some fairly strict controls can get messy.

Lastly, is it possible to deny enemy access to a planet next to their territory but let your forces enter and depart that system?

This wouldn't be possible, if you mean what I think you mean.
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

July 10, 2017, 01:38:06 AMReply #2

Offline Illidan Stormrage

• Admiral
  • Approval: +17/-10
  • Killing a Emperor doesnt end a Empire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 01:38:06 AM »
can we get pirate raid fleets?
"The Empire did nothing wrong obviously" :)
"Your Memes will make a fine addition to my collection"
"YOU ARE NOT PREPARED!"

July 10, 2017, 03:00:13 AMReply #3

Offline Snafu3

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 03:00:13 AM »
can we get pirate raid fleets?

Are there even any ships in the mod that could be used for that? None that I can think of are particularly pirate-esque. Except for the mandalorian cruiser maybe

July 10, 2017, 05:16:23 AMReply #4

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 05:16:23 AM »
Yeah, what would you suggest a pirate raid fleet makeup would look like? The plan is to stick to raid fleets being made up of stuff from factions already in the game. If we did try to make a "pirate" raid fleet out of stuff already in the mod, there's not really anything that screams 'pirate' as Snafu says, and they'd just as easily be mistaken for another group, and it's not really worth it for us to try to work on art assets if we wanted to try to make dedicated pirate vessels- even right now when they're the only battle event we have to plan around, Raid Fleet battles only happen 15% of the time. With 3 possible Imperial variations (based on IR, PA and Zsinj rosters), EotH, NR, Hapan, Yevethan and then pirate, you end up with a little less than a 2% chance overall of any given group, with even less of a chance of seeing any given ship within that. It's hard to imagine a situation where we have enough extra art resources floating around where we could justify spending it on something that would appear so rarelyl when we have so many other things we could be doing.
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!