Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: assertor and bellator  (Read 5106 times)

June 21, 2017, 04:07:13 AM

Offline Rogue66X

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +0/-0
    • View Profile
assertor and bellator
« on: June 21, 2017, 04:07:13 AM »
ok im sure this questions has been asked but why did corey not give any faction the assertor class ssd if he wanted to he could have given maldrood the bellator because for them it would have been something easier to build and he could have given pentastar the assertor instead because they have more resources to build it.  he wouldn't have to give them both to each faction that would be dumb, again sorry if this has already been brought up before

June 21, 2017, 05:08:30 AMReply #1

Offline Mr.Puerto

• Mod Team Member
  • Admiral
  • Approval: +18/-6
  • Professional Shut in, Steam Name: Mr.puertorican
    • View Profile
Re: assertor and bellator
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 05:08:30 AM »
Alright so I won't fault you for not knowing/ not looking at previous forum history, so I will just give you the quote and link to another discussion about this topic.
This is all a bit silly. First of all the base games crappy path-finding prevents anyone from being to SSD centric. Second, other factions need a chance, the NR, EOTH and others will just get steamed rolled if any one faction has access to that many SSDs and pocket SSDs. Third, the Bellator already fills the gap between Battlecrusier (Allegiance and Preator II) and Star Dreadnoughts ( Soverign, Executor, Eclipse, and even the Assertor). There is already plenty of firepower to go around in a standard fleet makeup, and to need more of it isn't needed even in the biggest of battles. Everyone can make do with or without the firepower of a SSD, so to somehow need firepower from a overrated class of ship is beyond me.
http://thrawnsrevenge.com/forums/index.php?topic=6346.0
“In this world, whenever there is light, there are also shadows. As long as the concept of winners exist, there must also be losers. The selfish desire of wanting to maintain peace causes wars and hatred is born to protect love.“

June 21, 2017, 05:19:48 PMReply #2

Offline Helix345

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +8/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 05:19:48 PM »
also because they don't have an assertor model

June 21, 2017, 05:42:43 PMReply #3

Offline Mr.Puerto

• Mod Team Member
  • Admiral
  • Approval: +18/-6
  • Professional Shut in, Steam Name: Mr.puertorican
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 05:42:43 PM »
also because they don't have an assertor model

Yeah I was typing something explaining that, but then my internet just refused to work so I lost it. Thanks for reminding me however.

Yeah the team does not have enough people to create another SSD. Plus with the amount of work it takes making one, you can probably have 3 or 4 smaller ships completed in the same amount of time. 
“In this world, whenever there is light, there are also shadows. As long as the concept of winners exist, there must also be losers. The selfish desire of wanting to maintain peace causes wars and hatred is born to protect love.“

June 21, 2017, 06:28:58 PMReply #4

Offline kucsidave

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +44/-4
  • Don't fear your Demons. Make them fear YOU.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 06:28:58 PM »
this is true. For example, the Bellator which is a smaller model still took about 2 months to create the model, skin it and code it in.
We don't want to unnecessarily push out the release date for another large ship. We definitely consider it for future releases, but it most possibly won't be for 2.3 either.
"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster.
And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche

June 21, 2017, 09:51:15 PMReply #5

Offline Rogue66X

• Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 09:51:15 PM »
Ok better question what made you guys pick doing the Bellator over the assertor

June 22, 2017, 03:04:07 AMReply #6

Offline taupin121

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +6/-4
  • Solo Command
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2017, 03:04:07 AM »

The Bellator is way more original and interesting compared to the Assertor which is more an Executor variant than anything else.

June 22, 2017, 12:41:11 PMReply #7

Offline Helix345

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +8/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2017, 12:41:11 PM »
because the bellator looks cooler

June 22, 2017, 01:00:18 PMReply #8

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2017, 01:00:18 PM »
Ok better question what made you guys pick doing the Bellator over the assertor

The Bellator was chosen because, as others have said, it's different from the existing SSDs, ebing half the size of the others, whereas the Assertor is more in line with the Executor.

As far as the art limitation for the Assertor, I was commissioned to make it and am doing it for less on the condition that we get to use it if we like, so we will at least have one. Whether we ultimately use it for something, who knows. In general, we want fewer SSDs. I know a lot of people think they're cool because they're giant ships, but from a gameplay standpoint, they don't cooperate with the game very well, and the AI can't use them or kill them anywhere near as effectively as players.
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

June 22, 2017, 01:55:52 PMReply #9

Offline Bucman55

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +4/-0
  • Come on, boss, when have I ever let you down?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2017, 01:55:52 PM »
The Bellator was chosen because, as others have said, it's different from the existing SSDs, ebing half the size of the others, whereas the Assertor is more in line with the Executor.

As far as the art limitation for the Assertor, I was commissioned to make it and am doing it for less on the condition that we get to use it if we like, so we will at least have one. Whether we ultimately use it for something, who knows. In general, we want fewer SSDs. I know a lot of people think they're cool because they're giant ships, but from a gameplay standpoint, they don't cooperate with the game very well, and the AI can't use them or kill them anywhere near as effectively as players.

If you did use the Assertor, who would get it? The Remnant already has too many SSDs, the Bellator works better with Pentastar, Zsinj and Maldrood don't really need it, and Eriadu has more association with the Executor. I don't see where it would go.

June 22, 2017, 02:19:01 PMReply #10

Offline Rogue66X

• Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2017, 02:19:01 PM »
I was looking at this from a resource point of view pentastar could muster up the resources to build one or two assertors and if maldrood were lucky they get enough to make one bellator

June 22, 2017, 02:22:30 PMReply #11

Offline Rogue66X

• Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2017, 02:22:30 PM »
You are right about zsinj and eraidu only really needing the executor, my only thought was maybe give the assertor to pentastar only and the bellator to maldrood only

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!