Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: The Shadow Collective  (Read 8231 times)

June 15, 2017, 02:11:17 PMReply #20

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
Re: The Shadow Collective
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2017, 02:11:17 PM »
well for Story scripting that is kind of easy you could make like how Leia gets the hapes to join The NR. Send Maul and Oppress to a planet they wont be acess for a week or 2 and when they return you get acess

I don't think you understand what that actually entails. It's more complicated than that, and that's with a faction that can properly use story scripting. Especially when you're suggesting that this faction really only gets units at all through other factions being part of it, it doesn't have a core roster.

to be fair if they control mandalore then they have access to MandalMotors and Mandal Hypernautics
so maybe you could design ships based on what these companies

No, that would be overwriting canon, as opposed to expanding on it. With the Empire of the Hand, we know they had a fleet, we just didn't know what was in it. With the Mandalorians, they didn't have a significant fleet, the Supercommandos won, so Death Watch's ambitions were stopped, and the New Mandalorians were governing, so they were pacifist. We can't just design stuff we think MandalMotors might have been making at the time, because we know for a fact they were making nothing of consequence. The only way Mandalore would have started building up a fleet is if Death Watch had won the civil war initially, which would mean they wouldn't have joined some random underground criminal organization which almost immediately fell apart.

The bottom line is, they would not have had access to any significant naval power.

And yes Filoni and TCW destroyed this period, while Leland Chee and others were trying to heal the wounds with retcons. I ignored TCW since the "movie" until they put me the nose in it in FotJ. Only last year I had the fortitude to watch the show... For me this belongs to the Story Group Canon and should have nothing to do with Legends, trying to integrate it into the former Expanded Universe was the biggest masquerade ever saw in SW history.

For the FotR, frankly I am far less interested in it than in ICW, so I wouldn't be much bothered if the dev team chose to go for the TCW version but that would be a little sad as, if so it will be close to a Story Group Canon view of this period and that's the actual trend. It would be better for the Legends to still live a little through mods such as ICW.

Above anything else, the main source for not just FotR but ICW as well, since it came out, has been the Essential Guide to Warfare. This will likely stay the case. That book provides the most consistent overall view of the universe, introduced a lot of useful ideas, and has driven the mod's direction for the better part of 5 years. Some of it comes from pre-existing materials, some does come from the cartoon.

You again have to keep in mind, this is not the only era in Star Wars with conflicts. Also, the Clone Wars themselves are a fraction of what Fall of the Republic actually covers. It's the last 3 years of a mod covering almost 50 years. This is not a new problem for us to have to deal with. Hell, even the idea of the "Clone Wars" put forward in the Thrawn trilogy conflicts with all future versions of the Clone War. There's never been an overall treatment of any era, not just the Clone Wars, which successfully retcons everything. We're going to use as much as we can from the pre-existing Legends, but in places where that conflicts, we already have to make a determination, and there's a significant pool of planets, vehicles, vessels and heroes that the cartoon offers which we wouldn't be able to use if we just decided to disregard that. The faction rosters would be far too thin. That is the main use of the cartoon, when there's slots that need filling and they offer a good solution (there's no reason not to use stuff like the Malevolence, Admiral Trench, etc when the CIS pre-cartoon was such a thin faction). When there's significant difference in events, we will typically go with:

Essential Guide to Warfare -> Pre-existing timeline -> Cartoon

There's a lot of stuff in the differences between the timelines, again, that is irrelevant to the mod entirely. The mod doesn't deal with individual battles- it's a sandbox game, so ultimately, it doesn't impact the mod if Anakin fights Ventress on Yavin or not, or if Anakin got his scar earlier in the war than his duel with Ventress in the comics. The mod doesn't and can't have that sort of granularity. The mod doesn't and can't care whether the ARC Troopers were made or trained beyond if they get mentioned in the tooltip. Where people were during Order 66 doesn't matter, who specifically survives vs goes into hiding does a little bit, but that had already been questionable earlier on.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 02:25:23 PM by Corey »
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

June 16, 2017, 03:10:25 AMReply #21

Offline taupin121

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +6/-4
  • Solo Command
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2017, 03:10:25 AM »

For me too, The Essential Guide to Warfare and The Essential Atlas are holy books. That's sure the Clone Wars era had so much ground heroes for both sides but few space heroes. So I understand your pragmatic way for game design and how it transcend my dogmatic view of the timeline and the community. But I still prefer playing with heroes such as Durge and Quilan Vos than with Maul and Ashoka :P

June 16, 2017, 03:34:56 AMReply #22

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2017, 03:34:56 AM »
They're all fair game as far as we're concerned. The first releases will be a bit lighter on heroes for dev purposes. Anyone associated with the Trade Fed or CIS has a much higher chance of popping up at some point considering how much less they have than the Republic, and I don't think we wanna go as deep down the rabbit hole of random Jedi and Clone heroes that some of the other CW mods go through. We used to have a poll on the forums in the first go-round where we let the community vote on some of the edge cases/roster fillers (we obviously need people like Yoda, Anakin, Obi-Wan), so I may resurrect that now, actually.
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!