Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: Non-State Factions and Patrons  (Read 3429 times)

June 11, 2017, 07:08:46 PM

Offline t78

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +3/-0
    • View Profile
Non-State Factions and Patrons
« on: June 11, 2017, 07:08:46 PM »
I had an idea involving various 'factions' that are small, have no territory or any units. Basically they can serve as patrons for your faction, granting certain privileges if you do things for them. Some are available to all, some only to a few specific factions. They appear to you at specific times, and you can listen or ignore them.

Perhaps they could ask you to build a structure on a world after you've taken it, or to kill a certain unit (in a standard battle). Perhaps certain groups simply require a 'transfer of funds' (represented by a build icon) that dissapears after a time if you don't take them up on their offer.

Potential 'patrons' include:

COMPNOR- provides COMPforce troopers each galactic month if you complete tasks for them (non-buildable powerful, fast, VERY numerous, yet very fragile fanatic infantry). Can also improve output/ credits on your worlds. Excessive use of them results in some of your units dissappearing (they desert as they hate COMPNOR). Cannot be taken as a patron if you have ISB already. Defunct after era 3.

ISB- provides info on enemy stealth units in your territory. Small productivity benefit for your worlds. Excessive use of them results in some of your units dissappearing. Individual enemy units tracked through their territory (as if they were one of your own stealth units). Cannot be taken as a patron if you have COMPNOR already. Defunct after era 3.

Imperial intelligence- provides intelligence on a small group of enemy worlds.

Dark Side Adepts- provides non-buildable Dark side adepts. Perhaps corrupting a world during the dark empire era (using the old Zahn Consortium corruption option but for the emperor instead) to get imperial sentinels that reduce effectiveness of enemy units due to the fear factor they inspire. Defunct after era 3.

Small corporations like Loronar, Corellian Engineering, etc- reduce prices for some units. Much more modest than KDY and SFS but for a cheaper price.

Hutts- reduces prices for some units AND buildings. Some intelligence on enemy worlds. Increases speed of units transferring between systems in their territory due to old smuggling routes.

New Republic Senate- provides extra credits.

Council of Moffs- provides extra credits.

Chiss houses- provide units from the ascendancy. Increases speed for hyperspace transfers between systems. Possibly a hero or two.

Just some putative ideas. I'm aware that these are similar to the Bothan spynet and KDY, etc, but I would be interested to hear ideas that make them truly different. What do you think?

June 12, 2017, 06:40:14 AMReply #1

Offline rednax

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +2/-0
  • For the Pentastar Alignment!
    • View Profile
Re: Non-State Factions and Patrons
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 06:40:14 AM »
Before you started to talk about specific factions it sounded a bit like a part of the base games, where, if you do a certain thing (eg, build this, conquer that) you would get free units or cash.
If the team were going to do something along these lines it would probably be a lot easier just to upgrade and reskin those to make it seem like other minor factions, other than somehow adding them outright.
At least I think.

June 14, 2017, 04:15:26 PMReply #2

Offline t78

• Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 04:15:26 PM »
Interesting. With the base game, do you mean the campaign or the sandbox scenarios?

June 14, 2017, 05:47:04 PMReply #3

Offline Pentastar Enforcer

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +8/-2
  • Hi everyone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 05:47:04 PM »
I like this idea quite a bit, could add in the small factions like Empire Reborn, whatever, etc etc. without having to give them actual territory and stuff. Could work very well.
The Galactic Empire - The best thing to happen to the galaxy since Midichlorian counts.

June 14, 2017, 07:09:06 PMReply #4

Offline renx215

• Stormtrooper Captain
  • Approval: +0/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 07:09:06 PM »
Kind of like Suzerains in Civ VI? Sounds like a great idea but do the core mechanics of the base game support it?

June 14, 2017, 07:14:21 PMReply #5

Offline renx215

• Stormtrooper Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2017, 07:14:21 PM »
Before you started to talk about specific factions it sounded a bit like a part of the base games, where, if you do a certain thing (eg, build this, conquer that) you would get free units or cash.
If the team were going to do something along these lines it would probably be a lot easier just to upgrade and reskin those to make it seem like other minor factions, other than somehow adding them outright.
At least I think.

That sounds like the system in Medieval Total war 2 I believe, Where the council of nobles would assign you to build or attack such and such for a one off bonus if completed within a turn limit. So with Empire at war being real time, how could that be incorporated? You would need some type of counting system.

June 15, 2017, 12:31:32 PMReply #6

Offline t78

• Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 12:31:32 PM »
I think the base game had a counting system for some campaign mission, so it doesn't seem impossible.....

Depends what the devs think.

June 16, 2017, 11:41:49 AMReply #7

Offline Guardsman93

• Stormtrooper
  • Approval: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2017, 11:41:49 AM »
I really like this idea. 

As an avid player of the Total War Series, I have to say that rewards or 'secondary objectives' do add to the game itself.  I remember these from Medieval II Total War, Shogun II, and Rome II (and their respective expansions).

Not only does it make you feel like you are dealing with the day-to-day issues of a conflict, but its adds addition depth to a very well detailed and polished mod.

June 16, 2017, 11:45:41 AMReply #8

Offline renx215

• Stormtrooper Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2017, 11:45:41 AM »
I have owned every single total war game since the first Shogun. I was never a fan of WH. playing TW WH changed that.

July 06, 2017, 04:10:16 AMReply #9

Offline Laimis

• Stormtrooper Captain
  • Approval: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2017, 04:10:16 AM »
sub-objectives for the faction is very good, but I also think about New Republic campaign. NR is easy to play when you win biggest space battle and your enemies is a minority (have less and fewer planets). you could make a copy Rome: Total War, when you have critical quantity planets they rebel against (change sides).

July 08, 2017, 01:43:59 AMReply #10

Offline Snafu3

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2017, 01:43:59 AM »
to be honest I don't think this would even be viable in EaW. there's only so much you can do with a game over ten years old. I'm not sure if this falls outside of the limitations technically speaking, but if it doesn't, it'd require A LOT of work on the part of the mod team. more than it'd be worth I think.. still an interesting idea though.

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!