Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: Star Wars Rebellion pc game  (Read 3185 times)

June 10, 2017, 04:56:00 PM

Offline renx215

• Stormtrooper Captain
  • Approval: +0/-3
    • View Profile
Star Wars Rebellion pc game
« on: June 10, 2017, 04:56:00 PM »
Was anyone here a fan of that that old pc game? It was known as supremacy in the UK. The board game that fantasy flight just put out is awesome too.

My only issues with the pc game, was everything felt reactive. LIke you were always responding to the AI. It also had some funky starting situations. You may begin the game with just a couple of carrack light cruisers, a dreadnought and if you were lucky a Victory. You could discover Thrawn was a force user. You could lose the game if palpatine was ever kidnapped (as if such a thing would be possible)

June 10, 2017, 05:24:42 PMReply #1

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
  • Approval: +56/-9
  • Don't turn around you moron, ATTACK!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars Rebellion pc game
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2017, 05:24:42 PM »
Loved it, still play it every once in a while, since I got the download version of it for $5 through gog.com.

And I've pally kidnapped many a times, as i generally use him a lot more than I really should.
People should not be afraid of their government...governments should be afraid of their people.

June 10, 2017, 06:41:11 PMReply #2

Offline Pali

• Tester
  • Admiral
  • Approval: +39/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2017, 06:41:11 PM »
It had some really good features and ideas at the campaign level, but by god was the combat just awful.

June 11, 2017, 04:26:25 AMReply #3

Offline kucsidave

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +44/-4
  • Don't fear your Demons. Make them fear YOU.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2017, 04:26:25 AM »
I agree with both :D
But we also have to admit that at the time, it was more than OK
"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster.
And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche

June 11, 2017, 07:49:51 AMReply #4

Offline Pali

• Tester
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2017, 07:49:51 AM »
Eh, I'm not sure I will admit that... it came out in early 1998, the same year we got games like Half-Life and Ocarina of Time, and just a year later we were getting games like Homeworld and Freespace 2.  Even when it first came out my reaction to it was pretty much the same as it is now: the galactic level stuff was fairly cool, but combat was so terrible I wouldn't be playing it if it weren't Star Wars.  Star Trek's version of this experience came in 1999 with Birth of the Federation, which similarly had some good concepts with crap combat that only really held anyone's interest because it was Star Trek.

June 11, 2017, 10:07:33 AMReply #5

Offline renx215

• Stormtrooper Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2017, 10:07:33 AM »
yes. the game was not great. however it was star wars which made it good to me. I'm not a fan of soase but the mods make it worthwhile because it least it's a theme I really enjoy.

June 11, 2017, 10:08:41 AMReply #6

Offline renx215

• Stormtrooper Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2017, 10:08:41 AM »
Eh, I'm not sure I will admit that... it came out in early 1998, the same year we got games like Half-Life and Ocarina of Time, and just a year later we were getting games like Homeworld and Freespace 2.  Even when it first came out my reaction to it was pretty much the same as it is now: the galactic level stuff was fairly cool, but combat was so terrible I wouldn't be playing it if it weren't Star Wars.  Star Trek's version of this experience came in 1999 with Birth of the Federation, which similarly had some good concepts with crap combat that only really held anyone's interest because it was Star Trek.

birth of the federation had that awful ram issue that made it unplayable at higher levels.

June 11, 2017, 05:08:35 PMReply #7

Offline Pali

• Tester
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2017, 05:08:35 PM »
birth of the federation had that awful ram issue that made it unplayable at higher levels.

Huh, I don't remember that... and I played a LOT of BotF.  Maybe I was just lucky, as that kind of thing doesn't always hit everyone.

June 12, 2017, 01:58:23 PMReply #8

Offline renx215

• Stormtrooper Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2017, 01:58:23 PM »
Yeah, it had a memory leak. They did patch it eventually. SO maybe if you did not have it early on you may not have noticed.

June 12, 2017, 05:38:56 PMReply #9

Offline Pali

• Tester
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2017, 05:38:56 PM »
I got it right when it came out, but it is entirely possible that my memories are largely of playing games later post-patch.  Long time and a lot of intoxicants ago. ;)

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!