Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: Concussion missiles vs Proton torpedoes  (Read 3297 times)

June 08, 2017, 10:47:00 AM

Offline Darth Kade

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Concussion missiles vs Proton torpedoes
« on: June 08, 2017, 10:47:00 AM »
What's the difference between concussion missiles and proton torpedoes? The only difference I can tell is torpedoes are rarer, since in the Han Solo trilogy all the smuggler have missile launchers, but only the mercenaries have torpedoes. Which is better?

June 08, 2017, 12:08:16 PMReply #1

Offline kucsidave

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +44/-4
  • Don't fear your Demons. Make them fear YOU.
    • View Profile
Re: Concussion missiles vs Proton torpedoes
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 12:08:16 PM »
depends on the job and story you read.
In EaW the missles are much better agains fighters because they are fast enough to hit them, while PTs are much slower but does better damage on larger ships.
In X-wing Alliance it is the other way around. Missles are much better agains fighters and torpedoes are more useful against capitals.
EU is often a mess. We are just trying to figure out which one is more often used than the other and what is better for gameplay :D
"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster.
And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche

June 08, 2017, 12:37:29 PMReply #2

Offline Darth Kade

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 12:37:29 PM »
Is there a difference in how much damage each one deals? In the lore not mod.

June 08, 2017, 02:58:39 PMReply #3

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
  • Approval: +56/-9
  • Don't turn around you moron, ATTACK!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 02:58:39 PM »
Yes.  Conq's in lore are mostly used against fighters and corvettes, not against larger ships.  Torp's are mostly used against frigates/caps/installations, not fighters in lore.  Thus the torp is significantly higher damage in lore (although I don't know if they've ever done actual "canon" numbers, although wouldn't be surprised if they had.
People should not be afraid of their government...governments should be afraid of their people.

June 09, 2017, 10:55:54 AMReply #4

Offline Ordo11

• Recruit
  • Approval: +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2017, 10:55:54 AM »
According to what I have read, so this is not definitive, The major difference is that concussion missiles specifically are a lot better in an atmosphere because they were designed with a concussion wave in mind while proton torps were designed for space. In X-Wing rouge squadron games when you had concussion missiles, you had more and they were the best against star fighters while the torp was better against cap ships. So torps are generalists that kill everything small and hit hard on anything over 100 meters in length, but take up more space... I think. Then again in the X-Wing novels there are the cap ship ones that are really good against cap ships while I don't know as much about what the fighters mounted ones were capable of.

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!