Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Poll

Which Goverment would you live and serve under?

Empire/IR
8 (53.3%)
Rebellion/NR/Terrorists
7 (46.7%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: Rebellion/NR Vs Empire/IR which would you live under?  (Read 23712 times)

June 05, 2017, 03:52:49 PMReply #80

Offline Pali

• Tester
  • Admiral
  • Approval: +39/-2
    • View Profile
Re: Rebellion/NR Vs Empire/IR which would you live under?
« Reply #80 on: June 05, 2017, 03:52:49 PM »
That's a bit of an oversimplification, though, don't you think?... I'm sorry for my tone, but I don't think it's fair of you to say so. I certainly do not identify myself with the racial prejudices of the Empire, and it never was amongst my reasoning to "root" for them.

I think you may need to read what I posted more closely.  I said if you are rooting for the humans just because they are humans, despite them being slavers, then you are rooting for the wrong side (for bad reasons was the intended implication).  I did not say anyone here was doing so, I was simply responding to a suggested reason that people might be identifying with the Empire.

Now, do I think that rooting for the Empire is rooting for the racist slavers?  Yes, because the Empire was objectively a state that enslaved along racial lines - this is a fact so far as the fiction goes.  There are certainly plenty of other aspects to the Empire, but racism and slavery are part and parcel of what it was.  I'm not saying anyone is rooting for the Empire because of the racism and slavery, but I do find it disturbing how those two aspects seem to be acceptable in the name of stability and order for some.

June 06, 2017, 05:04:01 AMReply #81

Offline rednax

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +2/-0
  • For the Pentastar Alignment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 06, 2017, 05:04:01 AM »
Agreed, I would be fine with living in a slightly less stable state that I agree with morally, no slavery, little racism, freedom of speech and democracy. I'm not about to give up what i believe in for a more 'stable' government.

On another note is the empire really that stable? Once the emperor was kill 95% of the empire was lost to petty warlords and rebels in just 15 years. Even if he wasn't killed by the rebellion his reign would have ended eventually (even with clone bodys)

June 06, 2017, 02:50:30 PMReply #82

Offline Grand Admiral Rufaan Tigellinus

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +8/-0
  • One of the 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 06, 2017, 02:50:30 PM »
I think you may need to read what I posted more closely.  I said if you are rooting for the humans just because they are humans, despite them being slavers, then you are rooting for the wrong side (for bad reasons was the intended implication).  I did not say anyone here was doing so, I was simply responding to a suggested reason that people might be identifying with the Empire.

Now, do I think that rooting for the Empire is rooting for the racist slavers?  Yes, because the Empire was objectively a state that enslaved along racial lines - this is a fact so far as the fiction goes.  There are certainly plenty of other aspects to the Empire, but racism and slavery are part and parcel of what it was.  I'm not saying anyone is rooting for the Empire because of the racism and slavery, but I do find it disturbing how those two aspects seem to be acceptable in the name of stability and order for some.

Fair enough, I apologize again, I didn't mean to be rude. Well, when it comes to "rooting", I personally root for the Imperial Remnant under Pellaeon, with no racism and slavery (I think I said it already at the beginning of this thread). That's a regime I would be proudly loyal to. The thing about the Empire that I always found acceptable was its military might and willingness to protect its citizens at all times (as long as those citizens are human, regrettably, I admit). WarlordOfWildSpace was right when he said that people lean towards the Empire partly because of its humanocentrism. I do not condone it, and agree that such prejudice is definitely appalling, however, maybe it was indeed a starting point for my acknowledgement of the Empire, I'm not afraid to admit it. It's still much more than that, but I don't really want to continue the discussion in this thread, since I already said everything there was to say earlier, in my two large posts that were barely commented upon. I still do not agree entirely with your position, but I respect it, and due to aforementioned reasons I will not comment in this thread any further (unless someone posts something completely ridiculous, but I'll still try to ignore it). Regardless, it was quite interesting talking to you, so I thank you for your time, and have a great day! :)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 02:53:01 PM by Major Grodin Tierce »
"To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Maybe those nihilist philosophers are right; maybe this is all we can expect of the universe, a relentless crushing of life and spirit, because the equilibrium state of the cosmos is death" - Arthur C. Clarke

"We even ignited the first atomic bomb on the day commemorating the transfiguration of Christ, thus unconsciously signaling that we intended likewise to transform the world, not only after the light but after darkness - with a blast that burned several times hotter than the surface of the sun." - Stanislav Grof, "Human Survival and Consciousness Evolution"

June 06, 2017, 04:53:35 PMReply #83

Offline Pali

• Tester
  • Admiral
  • Approval: +39/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 06, 2017, 04:53:35 PM »
The post I lost earlier would've gone through your last big post almost point for point, but my iPad has problems with this site and lost it - often the chatbox won't show, and sometimes the formatting for the entire site is wrong.  I think it was trying to stay "current" with the chatbox.

I tend to agree that this thread has run its course.  Fun chatting with you all.

July 19, 2017, 03:11:00 PMReply #84

Offline The Fist Of Justice

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +1/-0
  • I will build an Empire to conquer all Empires.
    • View Profile
    • That EAW Imgur profile
« Reply #84 on: July 19, 2017, 03:11:00 PM »
Where my true loyalties will always lie, the Empire.

Besides, that's my only shot at commanding an Executor-Class.
Commander of the Strike Cruiser Relentless. Soon the leader of a new Empire.

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!