Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: Infantry squad makeup  (Read 2105 times)

May 19, 2017, 07:10:35 AM

Offline Darth Kade

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Infantry squad makeup
« on: May 19, 2017, 07:10:35 AM »
For 2.2, I remember you said you were going to do squads instead of individual soldiers. That's great, thenindividuals took forever to unload, but having them was tacticly useful. An individual could be used to scout defenses. Could you do squads with 5 or so individuals for 2.2? If the <Create_Team> was set to no, then the soldiers wouldn't join a squad, right?

May 19, 2017, 07:36:23 AMReply #1

Offline kucsidave

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +44/-4
  • Don't fear your Demons. Make them fear YOU.
    • View Profile
Re: Infantry squad makeup
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 07:36:23 AM »
I am not entirely sure if that is still the plan or not, but we want to incorporate the scouts into the infantry division, which would act as separate, not grouped units. So you will have your scouts as well
"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster.
And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche

June 30, 2017, 06:19:21 AMReply #2

Offline 1norselad

• Stormtrooper
  • Approval: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 06:19:21 AM »
Personally i Like how infantry is handled in one of the clone wars Mods.

Each solider is separate once they are off the transport, I'am sure you all know which mod im talking about. works very well for the clone wars and I cant really see why it wouldn't work for this one. Some of those maps seem to be slightly more open to allow this but its still a cool system.  maybe implement a system of both in a platoon? for instance, each storm trooper unit would come with so many individual riflemen armed with E11's and then a separate medical unit rocket troopers and then have a squad of 5 or so around an officer and another E Web heavy blaster team.

You could replicate this for each faction relatively easy and it would make the Infantry a more versatile and tactical unit and still have a relatively quick deployment time.

What do you think

June 30, 2017, 05:40:09 PMReply #3

Offline Grand Admiral Rufaan Tigellinus

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +8/-0
  • One of the 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 05:40:09 PM »
I personally think that mascara can look quite intimidating on men of war, but in this case you won't really be able to see anything from under the helmet, so I don't really see the point.
"To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Maybe those nihilist philosophers are right; maybe this is all we can expect of the universe, a relentless crushing of life and spirit, because the equilibrium state of the cosmos is death" - Arthur C. Clarke

"We even ignited the first atomic bomb on the day commemorating the transfiguration of Christ, thus unconsciously signaling that we intended likewise to transform the world, not only after the light but after darkness - with a blast that burned several times hotter than the surface of the sun." - Stanislav Grof, "Human Survival and Consciousness Evolution"

June 30, 2017, 05:47:05 PMReply #4

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 05:47:05 PM »
Personally i Like how infantry is handled in one of the clone wars Mods.

Each solider is separate once they are off the transport, I'am sure you all know which mod im talking about. works very well for the clone wars and I cant really see why it wouldn't work for this one. Some of those maps seem to be slightly more open to allow this but its still a cool system.  maybe implement a system of both in a platoon? for instance, each storm trooper unit would come with so many individual riflemen armed with E11's and then a separate medical unit rocket troopers and then have a squad of 5 or so around an officer and another E Web heavy blaster team.

You could replicate this for each faction relatively easy and it would make the Infantry a more versatile and tactical unit and still have a relatively quick deployment time.

What do you think

Have you played the 2.2 demo? That's already basically how it works. We had the scouts, E-Webs and regular stormtroopers in the same deploys. New Republic stuff also have things like grenadiers. Overall, I dislike the individually-commanded units part though, and we're removing that. They take five-ever to deploy, the AI is fucking awful with them, and the pathing gets significantly worse. We really only had it because we hadn't found a way to use the turreted units while still in a squad, and now we have. The plan is, for those people who prefer it that way, to give an ability to squads allowing them to be split up. PLEX groups we typically kept separate because we want people to at least be able to specialize to some extent, rather than have no control over their actual composition.
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!