Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: Looking for book reccomendations  (Read 6186 times)

May 18, 2017, 11:28:18 AM

Offline Darth Kade

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Looking for book reccomendations
« on: May 18, 2017, 11:28:18 AM »
What are some good books to read? I've X-Wing 1-8, NJO 1-7
Jedi Academy Trilogy, Han Solo Trilogy, Thrawn Trilogy, Shadows of the Empire and the first book of the Black Fleet Crisis. The Black Fleet Crisis seemed stupid and random, while Jedi Academy was also stupid. I like all the others.

May 18, 2017, 11:41:32 AMReply #1

Offline DarthRevansRevenge

• Admiral
  • Approval: +14/-3
  • Your empire is doomed. Revan has returned
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for book reccomendations
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 11:41:32 AM »
Recently read Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor, i enjoyed, might be worth a read

also, Kucsidave doesn't like the Yevetha insulted, so watch out
do you know what really makes me mad? that the NR didn't make as many different SSDs as the empire. they would have won much faster had they done so. it's just not fair. but, if their were more NR SSDs, they would be absolute SUPER-CARRIERS.

but, i'm a member of the PA at heart, and my wish here is to join the ranks of grand admirals... sorry, the elite imperial alignment

May 18, 2017, 12:47:17 PMReply #2

Offline Slornie

• Mod Team Member
  • Moff
  • Approval: +54/-13
  • Every Silver Lining has a Cloud
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 12:47:17 PM »
I've always enjoyed I, Jedi (which is concurrent with the Jedi Academy trilogy), and Death Star.  Anything by Timothy Zahn is usually good too, which includes more Thrawn stuff but also things like Scoundrels.
Quote from: RonMaverick291 (Gametrailers)
why do u hate america? if it were not for us u guys would be lost. i mean we invented the tv, we invented the internet, cars and we even went to the planet moon. we won all the wars and we always help the little countries who cant fight and we give food to poor people.

May 18, 2017, 01:04:20 PMReply #3

Offline Darth Kade

• Brevet Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 01:04:20 PM »
My problem with Before the Storm was not yevetha. First, the main characters acted weirdly. Leia really wanted Luke to watch her children for some reason, while Luke just wandered off. Secondly, the random storylines(Luke trying to find his mother, Lando's story) were annoying. I admit I never finished the book, but only because it was terrible and a bit weird.

May 18, 2017, 01:37:39 PMReply #4

Offline Mr.Puerto

• Mod Team Member
  • Admiral
  • Approval: +18/-6
  • Professional Shut in, Steam Name: Mr.puertorican
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 01:37:39 PM »
The new Thrawn book is very good. You can get the audiobook for free if you find a youtuber that's sponsored by audible.
“In this world, whenever there is light, there are also shadows. As long as the concept of winners exist, there must also be losers. The selfish desire of wanting to maintain peace causes wars and hatred is born to protect love.“

May 18, 2017, 03:13:54 PMReply #5

Offline Revanchist

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +42/-5
  • I am Revan reborn. And before me you are nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 03:13:54 PM »
Black Fleet Crisis has a good central story muddied by weird side stories. Darksaber is the opposite: a good side story muddled by a weird central story.
"History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

"But...it was so artistically done."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

Member of the Imperial Alignment

May 18, 2017, 03:24:46 PMReply #6

Offline Mr.Puerto

• Mod Team Member
  • Admiral
  • Approval: +18/-6
  • Professional Shut in, Steam Name: Mr.puertorican
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2017, 03:24:46 PM »
I'm going to Barnes and Noble today so I'm just going to borrow this list if I decide to pick up some Star Wars books.
“In this world, whenever there is light, there are also shadows. As long as the concept of winners exist, there must also be losers. The selfish desire of wanting to maintain peace causes wars and hatred is born to protect love.“

May 18, 2017, 04:08:50 PMReply #7

Offline Illidan Stormrage

• Admiral
  • Approval: +17/-10
  • Killing a Emperor doesnt end a Empire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2017, 04:08:50 PM »
what is that book with the hand of judgement?
read that
"The Empire did nothing wrong obviously" :)
"Your Memes will make a fine addition to my collection"
"YOU ARE NOT PREPARED!"

May 18, 2017, 05:00:20 PMReply #8

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2017, 05:00:20 PM »
isn't that the Hand of Thrawn Duology?
do you know what really makes me mad? that the NR didn't make as many different SSDs as the empire. they would have won much faster had they done so. it's just not fair. but, if their were more NR SSDs, they would be absolute SUPER-CARRIERS.

but, i'm a member of the PA at heart, and my wish here is to join the ranks of grand admirals... sorry, the elite imperial alignment

May 18, 2017, 05:06:30 PMReply #9

Offline Slornie

• Mod Team Member
  • Moff
  • Approval: +54/-13
  • Every Silver Lining has a Cloud
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2017, 05:06:30 PM »
what is that book with the hand of judgement?
read that
You mean Allegiance and Choices of One?
Quote from: RonMaverick291 (Gametrailers)
why do u hate america? if it were not for us u guys would be lost. i mean we invented the tv, we invented the internet, cars and we even went to the planet moon. we won all the wars and we always help the little countries who cant fight and we give food to poor people.

May 18, 2017, 05:12:32 PMReply #10

Offline kucsidave

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +44/-4
  • Don't fear your Demons. Make them fear YOU.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2017, 05:12:32 PM »
Recently read Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor, i enjoyed, might be worth a read

also, Kucsidave doesn't like the Yevetha insulted, so watch out
I love those xenophobic maniacs and that's a fact, but you are free to tell your opinion on them.
I respect it either way. And yes, I also know that the black fleet crisis books were less than what it should have been.
It had many faults.
Even I had to struggle with them sometimes, but the parts with the Yevetha... those I loved. They finally made a competent villain whom were ruthless and enjoyed what they were doing, unlike the imps whom were just there to be an enemy.
And then came the way they implemented them... Yeash...
The largest problem was the pacing in my honest opinion.
So yeah. there you have it.
My problem with Before the Storm was not yevetha. First, the main characters acted weirdly. Leia really wanted Luke to watch her children for some reason, while Luke just wandered off. Secondly, the random storylines(Luke trying to find his mother, Lando's story) were annoying. I admit I never finished the book, but only because it was terrible and a bit weird.
I agree with those. And if you never finished that book, then don't even try to. That is sadly the strongest of the trilogy, and the second is the weakest.
If in a scale of 1-10 we give the first one a 6, then the second one should be a 2 or 3.
As I said, great idea of a new villain, poorly executed.
"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster.
And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche

May 18, 2017, 05:39:13 PMReply #11

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
  • Approval: +134/-14
  • Nothing shall withstand my ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2017, 05:39:13 PM »
The Darth Bane trilogy(Path of Destruction, Rule of Two, Dynasty of Evil) The Dark Forces trilogy(Soldier of the Empire, Rebel Agent, Jedi Knight) Darth Plageuis and Outbound Flight are solid reads you don't seem to have in your collection.
"I do not intend to be the Emperor's servant forever..."-High Inquisitor Jerec

"The New Order has never fallen. Only the Emperor."-Grand Moff Ardus Kaine

May 18, 2017, 07:10:26 PMReply #12

Offline Darth Kade

• Brevet Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2017, 07:10:26 PM »
Wow! Thanks for all the ideas!

May 18, 2017, 07:35:16 PMReply #13

Offline RevanTheFireMage

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +2/-0
  • "Rule through Fear of Aggression"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2017, 07:35:16 PM »
I suggest the Tarkin book as even though it is a Disney novel I was oddly satisfied with it and it actually developed Tarkin more as badass than just a snide old man. And anything in the Thrawn trilogy is great as well, I haven't read the Ahsoka book but I hear it's good as well
"History is on the move, and those who cannot keep up, will be left behind"
"Fire Torpon Portedoes!"

May 19, 2017, 08:23:00 AMReply #14

Offline taupin121

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +6/-4
  • Solo Command
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2017, 08:23:00 AM »
What are some good books to read? I've X-Wing 1-8, NJO 1-7
Jedi Academy Trilogy, Han Solo Trilogy, Thrawn Trilogy, Shadows of the Empire and the first book of the Black Fleet Crisis. The Black Fleet Crisis seemed stupid and random, while Jedi Academy was also stupid. I like all the others.

You should finish the NJO, for me #1, #4, #5 & #6 are the worst of the serie and you are juste at the point of reading the best of the serie.
I can't also not advice I, Jedi even if it borrow part of its plot from the Jedi Academy Trilogy.

May 19, 2017, 08:51:15 AMReply #15

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
  • Approval: +134/-14
  • Nothing shall withstand my ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2017, 08:51:15 AM »
You should finish the NJO, for me #1, #4, #5 & #6 are the worst of the serie and you are juste at the point of reading the best of the serie.
I can't also not advice I, Jedi even if it borrow part of its plot from the Jedi Academy Trilogy.

Behind Enemy Lines rebel dream and rebel stand are two of the best of the njo series followed closely by the Force heretic trilogy in the njo.
"I do not intend to be the Emperor's servant forever..."-High Inquisitor Jerec

"The New Order has never fallen. Only the Emperor."-Grand Moff Ardus Kaine

May 19, 2017, 12:50:56 PMReply #16

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2017, 12:50:56 PM »
The Darth Bane trilogy(Path of Destruction, Rule of Two, Dynasty of Evil) The Dark Forces trilogy(Soldier of the Empire, Rebel Agent, Jedi Knight) Darth Plageuis and Outbound Flight are solid reads you don't seem to have in your collection.

Darth Plaguise is actually one of my Favotites.

as for NJO, i'm on 3, but i checked number 6 from the library(i don't know why), and in the Canon direction there is Catalyst

June 12, 2017, 07:13:31 PMReply #17

Offline renx215

• Stormtrooper Captain
  • Approval: +0/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2017, 07:13:31 PM »
Oh boy, Im sure I will mention books already mentioned, Thrawn, Plageuis, Rise and Fall of Vader, any essential guide books, Vader and the 9th assassin. Outbound flight. Mt daughter got me a novelization of ROTJ for young kids....interesting read.

June 13, 2017, 12:52:17 AMReply #18

Offline thdhted

• Stormtrooper Captain
  • Elite Stormtrooper, AKA: better cannon fodder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2017, 12:52:17 AM »
In terms of Star Wars, Timothy Zahn is where it's at. I enjoyed Shadows of the Empire by Steve Perry, as it offers a look into the years between Yavin and Endor, as well as an interesting character in Xizor.
One of my guiltier pleasures is Death Troopers. It's not exactly good canon-wise, but, I mean, Stormtrooper Zombies, man.
"When in war, men must die, they can't be managed to their deaths, they must be led."

July 20, 2017, 04:44:24 AMReply #19

Offline The Fist Of Justice

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +1/-0
  • I will build an Empire to conquer all Empires.
    • View Profile
    • That EAW Imgur profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2017, 04:44:24 AM »
Black Fleet Crisis has a good central story muddied by weird side stories. Darksaber is the opposite: a good side story muddled by a weird central story.

An issue that frequently plagues novels.
Commander of the Strike Cruiser Relentless. Soon the leader of a new Empire.

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!