Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: AI difficulty in ICW  (Read 2975 times)

May 16, 2017, 06:15:51 PM

Offline Grand Admiral Rufaan Tigellinus

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +8/-0
  • One of the 13
    • View Profile
AI difficulty in ICW
« on: May 16, 2017, 06:15:51 PM »
I will try to make it brief. As far as I see it, from playing both ICW 2.1 and the 2.2 demo, the difference between the Captain and Admiral difficulty level is mostly in the way how aggressive the AI is. In my experience, the AI is much more aggressive on Admiral, and attacks you as often as it can. However, by throwing all of its fleets at you it doesn't really defend properly, and by the end of a GC it becomes very easy to capture the remaining AI planets as there would be little to no fleets defending them. On Captain, the AI doesn't attack as often, but keeps a much more defensive approach, and even though it would be easy throughout most of the GC, it gets interesting by the end, when the AI stacks huge fleets on its final few planets. For instance, I was playing the Empires at War GC as the PA on Captain, and the IR had 3 planets left, but each planet had fleets of +250, with the closest one consisting of 2 Executors, 17 ISDs (both 1 and 2), and 34 Victories (same). Plus a whole bunch of Lancers, Strike Cruisers, Immobilizers, etc. So in some cases, playing on Captain can be even more challenging towards the end, because it guarantees you several very tough battles. While on Admiral it gets very easy after a certain point, even if it's tough at the start. As Maldrood in the demo it's really only challenging a little bit until you build your first Bellator, and it becomes a one way fight from there.

Am I right, and that's where the difference between Captain and Admiral lies, or does it depend on GCs? I never had RaW installed, btw (I heard it influences the AI).
"To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Maybe those nihilist philosophers are right; maybe this is all we can expect of the universe, a relentless crushing of life and spirit, because the equilibrium state of the cosmos is death" - Arthur C. Clarke

"We even ignited the first atomic bomb on the day commemorating the transfiguration of Christ, thus unconsciously signaling that we intended likewise to transform the world, not only after the light but after darkness - with a blast that burned several times hotter than the surface of the sun." - Stanislav Grof, "Human Survival and Consciousness Evolution"

May 16, 2017, 06:17:18 PMReply #1

Offline Grand Admiral Rufaan Tigellinus

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +8/-0
  • One of the 13
    • View Profile
Re: AI difficulty in ICW
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 06:17:18 PM »
I didn't make it brief, dang it.
"To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Maybe those nihilist philosophers are right; maybe this is all we can expect of the universe, a relentless crushing of life and spirit, because the equilibrium state of the cosmos is death" - Arthur C. Clarke

"We even ignited the first atomic bomb on the day commemorating the transfiguration of Christ, thus unconsciously signaling that we intended likewise to transform the world, not only after the light but after darkness - with a blast that burned several times hotter than the surface of the sun." - Stanislav Grof, "Human Survival and Consciousness Evolution"

May 16, 2017, 08:01:53 PMReply #2

Offline Director Krennic

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +0/-0
  • I Made The Death Star!!! Also Tarkin Sucks
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 08:01:53 PM »
you did
The power that we are dealing with here; is immeasurable

May 18, 2017, 05:12:02 PMReply #3

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 05:12:02 PM »
Sort of. The different difficult levels in EaW have some basic modifiers (damage, how active it is, resource income) that scale according to level, and there are also a few different behaviours that are enabled or disabled at different levels, although the biggest difference is Recruit vs Captain.
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!