Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: 4 down, 1 in progress... who's left?  (Read 11357 times)

May 10, 2017, 01:57:30 PMReply #20

Offline kucsidave

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +44/-4
  • Don't fear your Demons. Make them fear YOU.
    • View Profile
Re: 4 down, 1 in progress... who's left?
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2017, 01:57:30 PM »
I agree about the Yevetha and the Vong.
I love the DL, but there is no place for them in the Sins mod. They are too lacking in original content. Though what DarthRevansRevenge said is quite a bit of understatement considering their current status.
Once we have enough of the lines written, we'll be doing a post requesting voice actor submissions, and the Duskhan League has been expanded in several ways.
#KucsidaveBeenBusy...
I've made a pretty big expansion to that faction in many regards, but yeah. It is still basically an imperial subfaction
"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster.
And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche

May 10, 2017, 06:15:34 PMReply #21

Offline Illidan Stormrage

• Admiral
  • Approval: +17/-10
  • Killing a Emperor doesnt end a Empire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2017, 06:15:34 PM »
okay fair enough but I argue that  it would allow ships like torpedo spheres for Zsinj, and custom CR90s not the regular ones.
But the other reason for why I argue this is ascendancy focus's on factions who are huge of a threat to the galaxy

Other options though:
Ssi-Ruuvi Imperium(My favorite choice)
Hutt Cartels

I would also argue Corey that if you want we could chat over discord and I could make a Zsinj roster, playstyle and tech to make them different.

Zsinj's Empire: Strong relationships with other factions but not PA. The faction's doctrine is more about battling on worlds where the enemy is prepared defense. Zsinj's Empire focus on consolidating its power than seizing the moment to strike at his enemies. He was known to be very heavily back by warlords like Lion Banjeer and terrniald Screed. He may not have a huge population but that is due to him exterminating rebels in his sector. Benefits less form culture, and more on research, industrialization, and Tighter controller. While he lacks major Imperial ships he makes up for it with a strong economy. The Titan foundry wont be allow for them however they get Zsinj's Iron Fist and Razor's kiss which can be converted into Second death as a bulwark like ability on steroids.

I know Corey Doesn't give a shit about my opinion but I don't care :)

BTW if you do choose the hutt faction can they get ugly squadrons? Like these?
"The Empire did nothing wrong obviously" :)
"Your Memes will make a fine addition to my collection"
"YOU ARE NOT PREPARED!"

May 10, 2017, 06:35:16 PMReply #22

Offline DarthRevansRevenge

• Admiral
  • Approval: +14/-3
  • Your empire is doomed. Revan has returned
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2017, 06:35:16 PM »
I agree about the Yevetha and the Vong.
I love the DL, but there is no place for them in the Sins mod. They are too lacking in original content. Though what DarthRevansRevenge said is quite a bit of understatement considering their current status.#KucsidaveBeenBusy...
I've made a pretty big expansion to that faction in many regards, but yeah. It is still basically an imperial subfaction

my bad, i didn't see that

as for the DL, except for fighters and thrustships, their stuff is all IR/NR tech. while fine in ICW, that is not helpful in ascendancy. anyway, the 1 main difference i see is the the DL would just exterminate life other than their own on every planet they conquer, so that could be seen as a downside

as for Thrawn's comment, i started this to ask for the Hutt Cartels in the first place, so whatever
do you know what really makes me mad? that the NR didn't make as many different SSDs as the empire. they would have won much faster had they done so. it's just not fair. but, if their were more NR SSDs, they would be absolute SUPER-CARRIERS.

but, i'm a member of the PA at heart, and my wish here is to join the ranks of grand admirals... sorry, the elite imperial alignment

May 10, 2017, 07:04:30 PMReply #23

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2017, 07:04:30 PM »
okay fair enough but I argue that  it would allow ships like torpedo spheres for Zsinj, and custom CR90s not the regular ones.

Both units that already exist for another faction. The modified CR90 would really just give it a tractor beam ability, which isn't super useful for a ship of that size in the first place in Sins.

Strong relationships with other factions but not PA

I don't think there's any basis on which to say Zsinj is a diplomatically focused faction. Hell, he made everyone hate him so much the Empire and New Republci were willing to cooperate against him. He was public enemy #1. Kaine hated him, Teradoc hated him, the Empire and New Republic actively destroyed him. Screed allied with him, but they were rivals, and Zsinj had him executed.

Zsinj's Empire focus on consolidating its power than seizing the moment to strike at his enemies.

What does this actually translate to in-game? More tactical slots? Lower ship numbers?

Benefits less form culture, [...] industrialization, and Tighter controller.

This is already exactly what the Remnant and PA do. They increase cultural suppression and allegiance, as opposed to spreading it.

and more on research

Again, research is only a trait in that something comes from that research.

He may not have a huge population but that is due to him exterminating rebels in his sector. [...] While he lacks major Imperial ships he makes up for it with a strong economy.

So, strong economy and industrialization from a smaller tax base would mean he's using a lot of trade ports for credit income, the Imperial take on which is already the Pentastar Alignment, or he'd be copying the EotH's primary industry techs and getting credits directly from resource extractors.

While he lacks major Imperial ships [...] The Titan foundry wont be allow for them however they get Zsinj's Iron Fist and Razor's kiss which can be converted into Second death as a bulwark like ability on steroids.

By lacking major Imperial ships, you mean access to a regular buildable titan? So again, militarily, he relies on spamming large amounts of Imperial ships, which sounds pretty much the same as the other Imperial factions. Also, considering the amount of time and resource he put into wanting more super ships, he doesn't seem like the kind of faction that shouldn't get a regular one.

I know Corey Doesn't give a shit about my opinion but I don't care :)

It's not that we don't care about people's opinions, it's that ideas are put in based on their merit, and Zsinj doesn't really offer any merit as a playable faction. Honestly, a lot of people asking for the Warlord stuff just comes down to them wanting to see the name "Warlord Zsinj" ingame- that's all it really means. You can already see that on Dathomir where you find Iron Fist, or playing against an Imperial AI faction, Warlord Zsinj is one of the random names for it. The PA and IR already encompass three basic takes on the Empire, and making a fourth is still gonna be within that fairly small and already crowded range, which is why I say he is, at best, a fourth option for a regime in a future version if we can physically fit him into that tree. The more you have to try to differentiate him, the more it's clear that the thing people find attractive for him as an option is simply the guy itself, not the opportunities he actually offers for gameplay. He's too similar to the Imperials, because he is Imperial. If you change that enough to make a new faction, his roster and playstyle cease to be Imperial. We can't build a whole faction around a nightcloak.

So far, using what you've suggested and removing the presentation aspects, just boiling it down to playstyle (and flipping the diplomatic thing, because again, making him a great diplomatic faction doesn't really make much sense considering everyone hated him and wanted him dead).

We have:
1. Poor diplomacy (Remnant is already this, under Palpatine is this in spades)
2. Culture is about repression and allegiance increases, not spreading (exactly like the Remnant and PA)
3. Economy very strong, high reliance on building trade ports (again, PA)
4. Ships are quantity vs quality, need to build up a large force before attacking (again, same as Remnant and PA- they're even the same ships)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 07:12:25 PM by Corey »
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

May 10, 2017, 07:15:08 PMReply #24

Offline Mr.Puerto

• Mod Team Member
  • Admiral
  • Approval: +18/-6
  • Professional Shut in, Steam Name: Mr.puertorican
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2017, 07:15:08 PM »
I mean if you want to make Zsinj a faction you are absolutely free to do it on your own and release it as a submod. However, with every single idea you've proposed there's nothing unique that makes Zsinj different. Expect for the names and descriptions all the technologies and even the play-style is the same has the IR and PA. Unlike ICW there's almost no point of making a faction that's similar to an other faction. The only reason why the PA works is because the game-play of PA is so dramatically different than the IR it makes it super enjoyable to play as them.

Torpedo spheres weren't even associated with Zsinj's empire, so again it wouldn't make any sense to have it.

Also in the case of Razor kiss's case, the ability to turn it into a hulk of armor is just useless. Why in the world would I want to use ability that turns off the weapons of one of the most powerful ships in the game? To allow my fleet to escape? That would be a horrible idea, because one you're just allowing Titan to die off. Secondly you won't being doing any damage to the enemy fleet while you escape. If the situation is really that bad were you need to kill off your own titan, you really need to cut down that enemy fleet a couple notches.

And well Corey already posted a better version of what I said before I could put this out so you might as well read that
“In this world, whenever there is light, there are also shadows. As long as the concept of winners exist, there must also be losers. The selfish desire of wanting to maintain peace causes wars and hatred is born to protect love.“

May 10, 2017, 08:13:39 PMReply #25

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2017, 08:13:39 PM »
its cool Corey and I chatted. And he won me over these are the next factions ;)

these are the top three most likely choices for the next faction:
Corporate Sector Authority, Dark Nest, Peace Brigade

These are clearly the best choices everyone.
:)
"YOU ARE NOT PREPARED!"

May 10, 2017, 09:32:25 PMReply #26

Offline Helix345

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +8/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2017, 09:32:25 PM »
its cool Corey and I chatted. And he won me over these are the next factions ;)

these are the top three most likely choices for the next faction:
Corporate Sector Authority, Dark Nest, Peace Brigade

These are clearly the best choices everyone.
:)

I'm rather skeptical  8=)

May 10, 2017, 09:54:04 PMReply #27

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2017, 09:54:04 PM »
;0
I'm rather skeptical  8=)
on top of that Corey is making a aggressor for the EOTH since one was mention by Thrawn in some random kid book for third graders that contdicts everything

The CSA will also get the dark saber and nuclear weapons
;)
"YOU ARE NOT PREPARED!"

May 10, 2017, 11:15:14 PMReply #28

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2017, 11:15:14 PM »
are you smoking something? or have i just been missing the discord?
do you know what really makes me mad? that the NR didn't make as many different SSDs as the empire. they would have won much faster had they done so. it's just not fair. but, if their were more NR SSDs, they would be absolute SUPER-CARRIERS.

but, i'm a member of the PA at heart, and my wish here is to join the ranks of grand admirals... sorry, the elite imperial alignment

May 11, 2017, 07:10:39 AMReply #29

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2017, 07:10:39 AM »
are you smoking something? or have i just been missing the discord?
A little bit of A and a little bit of B
BTW we will also make a faction that is a set of Disney units. including Dumbo Fighters, Goofy Class dreadnaught, Aladdin class Star destoryers, Miky mouse( a Super weapon that fires major lasers that blow up ten planets

;)
"YOU ARE NOT PREPARED!"

May 11, 2017, 10:43:13 AMReply #30

Offline Helix345

• Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2017, 10:43:13 AM »
Don't forget Minnie Mouse, the smaller of the two super weapons.

May 11, 2017, 10:59:18 AMReply #31

Offline Grand Admiral Rufaan Tigellinus

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +8/-0
  • One of the 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2017, 10:59:18 AM »
Wow, this thread got off the rails quickly.  :D
"To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Maybe those nihilist philosophers are right; maybe this is all we can expect of the universe, a relentless crushing of life and spirit, because the equilibrium state of the cosmos is death" - Arthur C. Clarke

"We even ignited the first atomic bomb on the day commemorating the transfiguration of Christ, thus unconsciously signaling that we intended likewise to transform the world, not only after the light but after darkness - with a blast that burned several times hotter than the surface of the sun." - Stanislav Grof, "Human Survival and Consciousness Evolution"

May 11, 2017, 11:58:04 AMReply #32

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2017, 11:58:04 AM »
My gosh, Thrawn. you really know how to destroy a serious conversation

May 11, 2017, 01:21:12 PMReply #33

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2017, 01:21:12 PM »
My gosh, Thrawn. you really know how to destroy a serious conversation
Well I am a tactician:)
"YOU ARE NOT PREPARED!"

May 11, 2017, 03:51:21 PMReply #34

Offline Helix345

• Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2017, 03:51:21 PM »
I've known for awhile that it has already been decided what the next faction will be. Unfortunately, I either was completely oblivious too, or simply lacked the appropriate star wars knowledge to understand Corey's hints at what it will be. Thus I have no idea.

I do very much look forward to the team's creativity with the creation of the hapans. I have no doubt that if they try hard enough, they can turn any faction that has some information about it, into a viable and fun option.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 03:53:05 PM by Helix345 »

May 29, 2017, 09:45:54 PMReply #35

Offline Pali

• Tester
  • Admiral
  • Approval: +39/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2017, 09:45:54 PM »
the Vong would not be in their own era, and thus would likely overpower everyone and everything, which would mean they are the only faction anyone plays.

Fortunately, few Vong ships have technical information available, so much like with the EotH the team would be able to use plenty of artistic license to make the Vong not unkillable.  At any rate, it wasn't really newer, stronger ships that defeated the Vong, but new tactics: scatter-fire to confuse dovin basals and tire them out, concentrating fire from multiple angles so they couldn't cover all incoming shots, expanding inertial dampeners so the dovin basals couldn't easily strip shields, and so on.  There are limits to how well these kinds of tactics can be represented in-game, but lore always has to be compromised to some degree for the sake of gameplay functioning.

June 07, 2017, 08:33:27 AMReply #36

Offline lordoflinks

• Stormtrooper Captain
  • Approval: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2017, 08:33:27 AM »
Judging from this image: http://www.moddb.com/mods/star-wars-ascendancy/images/updated-faction-select-screen#imagebox, there are two factions left after Hapes.
I am almost certain the Yuzhang-Vong are one of them due to the unique gameplay they could bring (There also exists some files for them in the folders of the mod); as for the other I hope it is the Ssi-ruuvi Imperium so the remaining two factions would be polar opposites of each other with the Vong being focused on individual very powerful units and the Imperium on massive hordes. Plus both would be completely alien factions which would be refreshing.   
If the Hutts were implemented I think they would work best through Sin's vanilla mechanic where you bid on pirates so they attack you enemies as that would model them well in my opinion.
All your words are but to say: you are a woman, and your part is in the house. But when the men have died in battle and honour, you have leave to be burned in the house, for the men will need it no more. But I am of the House of Eorl and not a serving-woman. I can ride and wield blade, and I do not fear either pain or death.

But no living man am I! You look upon a woman. Éowyn I am, Éomund's daughter. You stand between me and my lord and kin. Begone, if you be not deathless! For living or dark undead, I will smite you, if you touch him.

My avatar is Romana from Doctor Who, one of my favorite characters in all of fiction

July 17, 2017, 11:02:46 AMReply #37

Offline taupin121

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +6/-4
  • Solo Command
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2017, 11:02:46 AM »
The Vong is obviously a good choice for a different faction. That being said that would need to introduce new mechanics to be interesting to play and to look "realist" by the lore's standard, but I'm confident in the team for that. Some also may be bothered to have the Vong fighting PA or Palpy's superweapons but there's always hankward combats in such games/mods.

But from what I've read, I always tought that the next two factions (after the first four) would be Hapes and the Ssi-Ruks, so my hopes for the last slot are focused on the Vong Empire.

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!