Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: Daala  (Read 7960 times)

May 09, 2017, 11:50:09 AM

Offline GreyStar

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +11/-4
  • The Rival Defender
    • View Profile
    • Steam Page
Daala
« on: May 09, 2017, 11:50:09 AM »
Was she a good character at all? Did the story benefit from her presence, or just detract?

May 09, 2017, 12:05:46 PMReply #1

Offline DarthRevansRevenge

• Admiral
  • Approval: +14/-3
  • Your empire is doomed. Revan has returned
    • View Profile
Re: Daala
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 12:05:46 PM »
she was an excellent idiot, other than that.... no
do you know what really makes me mad? that the NR didn't make as many different SSDs as the empire. they would have won much faster had they done so. it's just not fair. but, if their were more NR SSDs, they would be absolute SUPER-CARRIERS.

but, i'm a member of the PA at heart, and my wish here is to join the ranks of grand admirals... sorry, the elite imperial alignment

May 09, 2017, 12:55:37 PMReply #2

Offline Revanchist

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +42/-5
  • I am Revan reborn. And before me you are nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 12:55:37 PM »
Daala was a good character ruined by bad writing. She really did care about the Empire, and was one of the few Imperials less interested in personal power and more focused on saving the Empire. She also began the process of restructuring the Empire into a less oppressive regime. She was extraordinarily charismatic, and thus was able to recruit many to the Imperial cause. Unfortunately she was written during the late Bantam era of novels and thus pretty ridiculous plot bunnies ensued.
"History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

"But...it was so artistically done."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

Member of the Imperial Alignment

May 09, 2017, 04:26:06 PMReply #3

Offline Illidan Stormrage

• Admiral
  • Approval: +17/-10
  • Killing a Emperor doesnt end a Empire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 04:26:06 PM »
Daala was a good character ruined by bad writing. She really did care about the Empire, and was one of the few Imperials less interested in personal power and more focused on saving the Empire. She also began the process of restructuring the Empire into a less oppressive regime. She was extraordinarily charismatic, and thus was able to recruit many to the Imperial cause. Unfortunately she was written during the late Bantam era of novels and thus pretty ridiculous plot bunnies ensued.
This may sound like Heresy but  I HOPE the bring her back in the cannon and write her better
"The Empire did nothing wrong obviously" :)
"Your Memes will make a fine addition to my collection"
"YOU ARE NOT PREPARED!"

May 09, 2017, 05:41:02 PMReply #4

Offline RevanTheFireMage

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +2/-0
  • "Rule through Fear of Aggression"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 05:41:02 PM »
She's meh to me, but the thing that makes me mad is, HOW IN THE HELL DO YOU LOSE A SUPER STAR DESTROYER THAT CAN F***ING CLOAK. Sorry for that but seriously, the damn thing can cloak and it has a roster of TIE Phantoms as well which were vastly superior to the standard TIE fighter. She should never, NEVER, have lost the Knight Hammer even with the Jedi being involved.
"History is on the move, and those who cannot keep up, will be left behind"
"Fire Torpon Portedoes!"

May 09, 2017, 05:43:39 PMReply #5

Offline RevanTheFireMage

• Brevet Admiral
  • "Rule through Fear of Aggression"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 05:43:39 PM »
She should of cloaked the Knight Hammer and retreated, she could've then waited for Pellaeon's fleet to group back with her's. And then her and Pellaeon could have strategized a new angle of attack.
"History is on the move, and those who cannot keep up, will be left behind"
"Fire Torpon Portedoes!"

May 09, 2017, 09:50:07 PMReply #6

Offline Revanchist

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2017, 09:50:07 PM »
Knight Hammer couldn't cloak
"History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 10, 2017, 05:05:40 AMReply #7

Offline kucsidave

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +44/-4
  • Don't fear your Demons. Make them fear YOU.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2017, 05:05:40 AM »
This is a common misconception we have met time and time again. The stealth armor it had was only a glorified sensor jamming device pained black, so it blended in with the environment (the darkness of space) a little bit more. It was making an interference with targeting devices as well, but it was unable to make the ship invisible, nor was it able to fully stop ships from targeting it either. Just made it a tad bit harder.
"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster.
And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche

July 19, 2017, 02:30:46 PMReply #8

Offline The Fist Of Justice

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +1/-0
  • I will build an Empire to conquer all Empires.
    • View Profile
    • That EAW Imgur profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 02:30:46 PM »
This may sound like Heresy but  I HOPE the bring her back in the cannon and write her better

I can completely agree with that, a total waste of a potentially brilliant character that could've reunited (and maybe lead) the Empire. Maybe in some pre-TFA post-TLJ story it could be pretty neat, she could be the leader of another Imperial splinter group, or even have lead the First Order before TFA.
Commander of the Strike Cruiser Relentless. Soon the leader of a new Empire.

July 21, 2017, 01:13:02 PMReply #9

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
  • Approval: +134/-14
  • Nothing shall withstand my ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2017, 01:13:02 PM »
I felt Daala had the potential to be a great character, but her overall arc ruined it by making her more of a running gag than quality threat. She has moments where she is very human, shows adaptation and character growth to a degree but these are very few and far between. I'd say a good comparison would be put her character up for comparison with characters like Mirax, Iella, Lara, and Tionne and you begin to see the flaws of Daala's character design(not appearance but how she acts, develops and relates) It only gets worse when you look at a character like Pellaeon who has a similar arc that is handled far better and feels more relatable to the reader.
"I do not intend to be the Emperor's servant forever..."-High Inquisitor Jerec

"The New Order has never fallen. Only the Emperor."-Grand Moff Ardus Kaine

July 21, 2017, 01:26:48 PMReply #10

Offline kucsidave

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +44/-4
  • Don't fear your Demons. Make them fear YOU.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2017, 01:26:48 PM »
Exactly. Dalla and the (K)Night Hammer were two missed shots. Both had potential but none of them were able to live up to it.
"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster.
And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche

July 21, 2017, 03:36:03 PMReply #11

Offline The Fist Of Justice

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +1/-0
  • I will build an Empire to conquer all Empires.
    • View Profile
    • That EAW Imgur profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2017, 03:36:03 PM »
I can completely agree with that, a total waste of a potentially brilliant character that could've reunited (and maybe lead) the Empire. Maybe in some pre-TFA post-TLJ story it could be pretty neat, she could be the leader of another Imperial splinter group, or even have lead the First Order before TFA.

*ROJ not TLJ oops
Commander of the Strike Cruiser Relentless. Soon the leader of a new Empire.

July 21, 2017, 08:14:35 PMReply #12

Offline WarlordOfWildSpace

• Tester
  • Brevet Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2017, 08:14:35 PM »

Like with a few legends characters, she is already sort of adapted into canon in the form of a new character, Rae Sloane. It's not exact, but a daring female Admiral who led the remnant at one point and helped form the new order? It's too close for comfort.

Similarly, jyn erso = Jan ors and Ben solo = Ben skywalker+Jacen solo.  Even the name kylo Ren is kind of stolen from the Droid cartoon where there was a character named kybo ren

"Nothing worthwhile is ever gained without risk."
-Grand Moff Disra

July 22, 2017, 02:28:19 AMReply #13

Offline GreyStar

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +11/-4
  • The Rival Defender
    • View Profile
    • Steam Page
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2017, 02:28:19 AM »
Even the name kylo Ren is kind of stolen from the Droid cartoon where there was a character named kybo ren

Actually, a Fallen Jedi turned Sith Warlord and Emperor corrupted by an ancient dark siided being, known for his infamous mask, and capable of using both the Dark and the Light Sides of the force?

Revan.

July 26, 2017, 12:55:06 PMReply #14

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2017, 12:55:06 PM »
thank you... wait, did they rip me off to make a terrible villain?
do you know what really makes me mad? that the NR didn't make as many different SSDs as the empire. they would have won much faster had they done so. it's just not fair. but, if their were more NR SSDs, they would be absolute SUPER-CARRIERS.

but, i'm a member of the PA at heart, and my wish here is to join the ranks of grand admirals... sorry, the elite imperial alignment

July 26, 2017, 11:25:55 PMReply #15

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
  • Approval: +134/-14
  • Nothing shall withstand my ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2017, 11:25:55 PM »
thank you... wait, did they rip me off to make a terrible villain?

well i mean the entire new cast is a less charming rip off of many EU characters
"I do not intend to be the Emperor's servant forever..."-High Inquisitor Jerec

"The New Order has never fallen. Only the Emperor."-Grand Moff Ardus Kaine

July 27, 2017, 12:45:29 PMReply #16

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2017, 12:45:29 PM »
yeah, that is very true

July 27, 2017, 10:02:53 PMReply #17

Offline Revanchist

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2017, 10:02:53 PM »
well i mean the entire new cast is a less charming rip off of many EU characters

MUCH less charming.
Grand Admiral Thrawn

Grand Admiral Thrawn

April 02, 2018, 02:26:05 AMReply #18

Offline Zardnaar

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2018, 02:26:05 AM »

This I quite liked her when she 1st came out and read the JA trilogy at the time, not later on before they added everything else (Darksaber etc).

She had her moments, Daala as head of state was lame though as Pellaeons confidant I liked her alot.

April 02, 2018, 12:47:18 PMReply #19

Offline Halyn

• Stormtrooper Captain
  • Approval: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2018, 12:47:18 PM »
Not a fan of Daala. Inconsistent character, her actions did not match the supposed genius of her reputation...basically, the description of the character never matched the actions.

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!