Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: Eclipse SSD versus A Viscount Star Defender  (Read 5298 times)

May 07, 2017, 11:36:08 AM

Offline RevanTheFireMage

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +2/-0
  • "Rule through Fear of Aggression"
    • View Profile
Eclipse SSD versus A Viscount Star Defender
« on: May 07, 2017, 11:36:08 AM »
So another scenario I have a question about, who would win in a direct one on one fight? An Eclipse Super Star Destroyer, or a Viscount Star Defender? I mean you have the mass scale of the Viscount with thousands of turbolasers, heavy moncalamari shielding, and advanced fighter wings. But the Eclipse has a superlaser on it's prow. So I don't know who would win in a fight.
"History is on the move, and those who cannot keep up, will be left behind"
"Fire Torpon Portedoes!"

May 07, 2017, 11:37:57 AMReply #1

Offline Revanchist

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +42/-5
  • I am Revan reborn. And before me you are nothing.
    • View Profile
Re: Eclipse SSD versus A Viscount Star Defender
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 11:37:57 AM »
Eclipse because Superlaser.
"History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

"But...it was so artistically done."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

Member of the Imperial Alignment

May 07, 2017, 11:39:05 AMReply #2

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
  • Approval: +56/-9
  • Don't turn around you moron, ATTACK!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 11:39:05 AM »
Eclipse because Superlaser.

Yup, unless the Viscount manages to come out of hyperspace at the rear of the eclipse and close enough to immediately open weapons fire, the whale is getting harpooned.  Take away the superlaser, and the whale will win almost every time.
People should not be afraid of their government...governments should be afraid of their people.

May 07, 2017, 11:52:30 AMReply #3

Offline HobbesHurlbut

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +5/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 11:52:30 AM »
Consider this; the Eclipse SSD's super laser is capable of cracking through a planet's crust not unlike like oh... a single reactor firing of the super laser on Death Start in Rogue One....yeah I would bet on Eclipse winning in a straight up fight.

May 07, 2017, 12:22:48 PMReply #4

Offline Revanchist

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2017, 12:22:48 PM »
Consider this; the Eclipse SSD's super laser is capable of cracking through a planet's crust not unlike like oh... a single reactor firing of the super laser on Death Star in Rogue One....yeah I would bet on Eclipse winning in a straight up fight.

Although . . . The Rebellion has the Power of the Plot Device on their side
"History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 07, 2017, 12:56:08 PMReply #5

Offline kucsidave

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +44/-4
  • Don't fear your Demons. Make them fear YOU.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2017, 12:56:08 PM »
Yup, unless the Viscount manages to come out of hyperspace at the rear of the eclipse and close enough to immediately open weapons fire, the whale is getting harpooned.  Take away the superlaser, and the whale will win almost every time.
That doesn't really matter either, since then the Eclipse turns around, and we are already in the matter of Suparlaser
Game over.
Result:
Oversized burnt fish
"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster.
And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche

May 07, 2017, 01:39:43 PMReply #6

Offline GreyStar

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +11/-4
  • The Rival Defender
    • View Profile
    • Steam Page
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2017, 01:39:43 PM »
It's possible the Viscount could put all power into shielding to tank the blast, after all it is pretty massive. Afterwords as long as the superior fighters can take care of the Eciplise's TIE Droids, they could disable the super laser. After all, E-Wings and K-Wings have heavy proton torpedoes.

May 07, 2017, 02:21:28 PMReply #7

Offline kucsidave

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +44/-4
  • Don't fear your Demons. Make them fear YOU.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2017, 02:21:28 PM »
still not working. Don't forget that the Eclipse is heavily armed.
Let's say the Viscount somehow gets a plot bunny and survives the initial shot.
Then it has to face a fully armed Eclipse with no shields. Even if the fighters disable the Superlaser and prevent a second shot, it still have to face 550 heavy laser cannons, 500 turbolasers and 75 ion cannons.
Maybe Viscount can drop the Eclipse's shields as well, but by that time it would take considerable damage, most possibly getting crippled.
Basically no way of victory. Their best chance of SURVIVAL is that if they concentrate everything to disable the 10 goddamn gravity wells and try to escape.
"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster.
And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche

May 07, 2017, 02:39:44 PMReply #8

Offline Revanchist

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2017, 02:39:44 PM »
Or they put all power to shields and ram the Eclipse.
Grand Admiral Thrawn

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 07, 2017, 02:52:19 PMReply #9

Offline GreyStar

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +11/-4
  • The Rival Defender
    • View Profile
    • Steam Page
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2017, 02:52:19 PM »
Or use the concussion missiles to blow a hole in the reactor.

May 07, 2017, 03:44:57 PMReply #10

Offline DarthRevansRevenge

• Admiral
  • Approval: +14/-3
  • Your empire is doomed. Revan has returned
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2017, 03:44:57 PM »
or just leave right away, because the AI are an idiot
do you know what really makes me mad? that the NR didn't make as many different SSDs as the empire. they would have won much faster had they done so. it's just not fair. but, if their were more NR SSDs, they would be absolute SUPER-CARRIERS.

but, i'm a member of the PA at heart, and my wish here is to join the ranks of grand admirals... sorry, the elite imperial alignment

May 11, 2017, 10:14:25 AMReply #11

Offline Grand Admiral Rufaan Tigellinus

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +8/-0
  • One of the 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2017, 10:14:25 AM »
If by the time the Viscount arrives the Eclipse has already shot its superlaser on another regular capital ship (if it's a fleet vs fleet encounter, and not just a 1 on 1 star dreadnought fight), the Viscount definitely stands a chance, and more so will probably win. The cooldown of that superlaser is very slow, so the Viscount has plenty of time. As for a direct hit with the Eclipse's superlaser, I don't see how anything could survive that, even with the best shields in the universe. Unless plot bunnies come to the rescue, of course.
"To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Maybe those nihilist philosophers are right; maybe this is all we can expect of the universe, a relentless crushing of life and spirit, because the equilibrium state of the cosmos is death" - Arthur C. Clarke

"We even ignited the first atomic bomb on the day commemorating the transfiguration of Christ, thus unconsciously signaling that we intended likewise to transform the world, not only after the light but after darkness - with a blast that burned several times hotter than the surface of the sun." - Stanislav Grof, "Human Survival and Consciousness Evolution"

May 18, 2017, 07:38:12 PMReply #12

Offline Director Krennic

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +0/-0
  • I Made The Death Star!!! Also Tarkin Sucks
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2017, 07:38:12 PM »
The eclipse has a laser beam so like Dr. Evil Says,"Frickin Laser Beams" The laser beam can destroy the ship.
The power that we are dealing with here; is immeasurable

July 19, 2017, 02:47:20 PMReply #13

Offline The Fist Of Justice

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +1/-0
  • I will build an Empire to conquer all Empires.
    • View Profile
    • That EAW Imgur profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2017, 02:47:20 PM »
So another scenario I have a question about, who would win in a direct one on one fight? An Eclipse Super Star Destroyer, or a Viscount Star Defender? I mean you have the mass scale of the Viscount with thousands of turbolasers, heavy moncalamari shielding, and advanced fighter wings. But the Eclipse has a superlaser on it's prow. So I don't know who would win in a fight.

Let's assume the Eclipse superlaser is malfunctioning (Like in the ending of FOC) or already fired, then the Viscount could probably take the fight to the Eclipse, maybe even win. But if the Eclipse does decide to ram the Eclipse it's gonna pretty much be game over nine times out of ten.
Commander of the Strike Cruiser Relentless. Soon the leader of a new Empire.

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!