Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: Debuffs  (Read 1725 times)

April 29, 2017, 10:20:18 AM

Offline GreyStar

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +11/-4
  • The Rival Defender
    • View Profile
    • Steam Page
Debuffs
« on: April 29, 2017, 10:20:18 AM »
So I'm confused on debuffing in Ascendancy. Let's take the Carracks's Ion ability for example. 5% Weapon cooldown period increase per attack per Carrack. So 20 Carracks gives a 100% weapon cooldown period increase. That doubles the amount of time per attack of the enemy.

But then I look at the Degrading Systems ability. At 80% health I think, weapon damage is set to 80% damage in red. But then at 50% health weapon damage is set to 50% in red. So... Does the higher the number mean the worse the debuff? If so does Degrading Systems somehow alleviate itself at a lower threshold?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 11:52:08 AM by GreyStar »

April 29, 2017, 12:42:42 PMReply #1

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
Re: Debuffs
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2017, 12:42:42 PM »
So I'm confused on debuffing in Ascendancy. Let's take the Carracks's Ion ability for example. 5% Weapon cooldown period increase per attack per Carrack. So 20 Carracks gives a 100% weapon cooldown period increase. That doubles the amount of time per attack of the enemy.

You can only have two stacks of Ionic Disruption, but otherwise correct.

But then I look at the Degrading Systems ability. At 80% health I think, weapon damage is set to 80% damage in red. But then at 50% health weapon damage is set to 50% in red. So... Does the higher the number mean the worse the debuff? If so does Degrading Systems somehow alleviate itself at a lower threshold?

The higher the number, the worse the debuff, but where are you seeing it work like that? It shows 50% less damage at 50% health, 75% less damage at 25% health, and 80% less speed at 20% health.
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

April 29, 2017, 12:55:33 PMReply #2

Offline GreyStar

• Vice Admiral
  • The Rival Defender
    • View Profile
    • Steam Page
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2017, 12:55:33 PM »
Thanks for the remark on Ionic Disruption (time to adjust my IR fleet construction...)

Looking at Degrading Systems for the MC80.

If user has less then 50% hull: Damage output: 50%
If user had less then 20# hull: Damage output: 25%

April 29, 2017, 01:16:19 PMReply #3

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2017, 01:16:19 PM »
Ah, so you mean the ability description. Keep in mind, the effects of the buffs are additive and going to apply to the same thing, but those effect descriptions are auto-generated and don't always give the most accurate picture. It's looking at the buffs individually. The key thing is the newer buffs don't replace the other buff. So, when you drop to 50% health, you're getting a buff that takes away 50% of your damage, and when you drop to 75% health, you're getting another buff that removes 25% damage, but they're both applying at the same time, so you're at -75% still. If you look at the debuff section of the unit card when the unit is damaged, that takes the sum of all similar debuffs and displays them as one number, so you can see it working properly there.

The ability also says it's applying a 75% chance to dodge on NR ships, but in reality that's applying to the ship's fighters, not the ship itself. There's a way we could make the health/damage amounts display correctly independently, but there's more possibility for edge cases where it's not removed properly as the ship heals that way, so I've always been reluctant to do it.
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

April 29, 2017, 01:25:34 PMReply #4

Offline GreyStar

• Vice Admiral
  • The Rival Defender
    • View Profile
    • Steam Page
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2017, 01:25:34 PM »
I see. Thanks. That does explain why whenever I look at an MC80 it doesn't say it has a 75% dodge chance. Well this answers all my questions.

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!