Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Poll

Cannon or Legends?

Cannon
0 (0%)
Legends
15 (68.2%)
both
5 (22.7%)
neither
0 (0%)
(for me to click)
2 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author Topic: Disney Star Wars cannon? Or EU (Legends)  (Read 19929 times)

April 29, 2017, 09:43:38 AM

Offline Director Krennic

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +0/-0
  • I Made The Death Star!!! Also Tarkin Sucks
    • View Profile
Disney Star Wars cannon? Or EU (Legends)
« on: April 29, 2017, 09:43:38 AM »
Which Star Wars stories do you prefer. Disney Cannon or Legends?
The power that we are dealing with here; is immeasurable

April 29, 2017, 09:50:30 AMReply #1

Offline Revanchist

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +42/-5
  • I am Revan reborn. And before me you are nothing.
    • View Profile
Re: Disney Star Wars cannon? Or EU (Legends)
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2017, 09:50:30 AM »
Legends no question.
"History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

"But...it was so artistically done."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

Member of the Imperial Alignment

April 29, 2017, 11:32:00 AMReply #2

Offline HobbesHurlbut

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +5/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2017, 11:32:00 AM »
Both. Because if you don't pick Disney Canon, then the novel Thrawn doesn't count because it is part of Disney Canon. :P

April 29, 2017, 05:57:23 PMReply #3

Offline Mr.Puerto

• Mod Team Member
  • Admiral
  • Approval: +18/-6
  • Professional Shut in, Steam Name: Mr.puertorican
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2017, 05:57:23 PM »
Gotta go both. They both have really good parts and very bad parts.
“In this world, whenever there is light, there are also shadows. As long as the concept of winners exist, there must also be losers. The selfish desire of wanting to maintain peace causes wars and hatred is born to protect love.“

April 29, 2017, 07:58:28 PMReply #4

Offline Revanchist

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2017, 07:58:28 PM »
Both. Because if you don't pick Disney Canon, then the novel Thrawn doesn't count because it is part of Disney Canon. :P

Well we will never know if Zahn would have done that novel if Legends hadn't been destroyed.

Gotta go both. They both have really good parts and very bad parts.

Thus far I have yet to see something good come out of Disney that wasn't based on Legends.
"History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

Grand Admiral Thrawn

April 29, 2017, 08:07:33 PMReply #5

Offline HobbesHurlbut

• Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2017, 08:07:33 PM »
Thus far I have yet to see something good come out of Disney that wasn't based on Legends.
Rogue One.

April 29, 2017, 10:35:07 PMReply #6

Offline Helix345

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +8/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2017, 10:35:07 PM »
I like legends clones better

April 29, 2017, 10:49:13 PMReply #7

Offline GreyStar

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +11/-4
  • The Rival Defender
    • View Profile
    • Steam Page
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2017, 10:49:13 PM »
Rogue One.
Depends on the person. On a cinemtatic level Rogue One was... Good. On a plot level, boring. There's an issue when the random Stormtroopers are more sympathetic then the main characters.

April 29, 2017, 11:46:28 PMReply #8

Offline Revanchist

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2017, 11:46:28 PM »
Rogue One.

I would argue that the events are loosely patterned after the last mission of Bria Tharen. An excerpt from the Wook:
Knowing that their only chance to defeat the Death Star was to obtain a copy of its plans and attempt to find a vulnerability, the Alliance planned a coordinated offensive to recover the plans as they passed through the Outer Rim world Toprawa. Torbul informed Tharen that an Intelligence team was being sent to Toprawa to capture the plans; despite knowing that it was likely to be a one-way mission, Tharen volunteered Red Hand Squadron to accompany them. The Rebels were able to capture the plans and an Imperial communications center but the Empire was quick to respond. Red Hand Squadron fought to hold off the Imperial forces while comm techs transmitted the plans to the Rebel courier ship Tantive IV as it passed through the system. By the time the Tantive IV left the system, Red Hand Squadron had taken heavy losses and Tharen, herself injured, had lost contact with the Retribution and their only chance of escape. Shortly after, Red Hand Squadron was finally overwhelmed by Imperial forces
Sound familiar?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 11:48:44 PM by Revanchist »
Grand Admiral Thrawn

Grand Admiral Thrawn

April 30, 2017, 01:59:32 AMReply #9

Offline Mr.Puerto

• Mod Team Member
  • Admiral
  • Approval: +18/-6
  • Professional Shut in, Steam Name: Mr.puertorican
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2017, 01:59:32 AM »
Nah  ;) but in any case I like both cannons since both are interesting, at least for me anyway. I will of course always lean toward "legends" but I can't give credit where credit is due.
“In this world, whenever there is light, there are also shadows. As long as the concept of winners exist, there must also be losers. The selfish desire of wanting to maintain peace causes wars and hatred is born to protect love.“

April 30, 2017, 04:48:52 AMReply #10

Offline kucsidave

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +44/-4
  • Don't fear your Demons. Make them fear YOU.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2017, 04:48:52 AM »
And now here I come, telling that I love and hate both at the same time.
Both had avesome moments and disgusting ones as well.
Best ones are the Thrawn triology, Iron Fist and Yevetha Triology for EU (Yeah... BE PREPARED THAT I HAVE A WEIRD SOFT SPOT FOR THOSE XENOPHOBIC MANIACS :D)
Rebels TV series and the Vader comics for Canon so far
On the worst part
I have to say Jar Jar for both :(
Other than that, TFA for the Canon and a the Star Wars holiday special for EU. That or the Ewok cartoons... or the-
All right, I have to stop there or this will be a long list...
"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster.
And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche

April 30, 2017, 09:09:42 AMReply #11

Offline HobbesHurlbut

• Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2017, 09:09:42 AM »
I would argue that the events are loosely patterned after the last mission of Bria Tharen. An excerpt from the Wook: Sound familiar?
Rogue One provide a neat canon explanation for one of the questions of the Original Trilogy: Why did the Rebels have only starfighters at their main base to repel Death Star with?  :)

April 30, 2017, 10:04:57 AMReply #12

Offline kucsidave

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2017, 10:04:57 AM »
Rogue One provide a neat canon explanation for one of the questions of the Original Trilogy: Why did the Rebels have only starfighters at their main base to repel Death Star with?  :)
Actually, that was explained with one line in the movie why the rebels would not use them, and rogue one just rehersed it unnecessary as usual.
Because they were too small to hit with the turbolasers :D
"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster.
And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche

April 30, 2017, 10:45:30 AMReply #13

Offline DarthRevansRevenge

• Admiral
  • Approval: +14/-3
  • Your empire is doomed. Revan has returned
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2017, 10:45:30 AM »
alright. my turn:
Disclaimer: Episode 1-6+Clone wars TV series are not included as they are in both

Canon: good parts: Rogue one/Catalyst(the rogue one novel) currently top the list, with the rebels TV series behind it. the rest of what i have seen is close to junk, but there have been some good moments in them. Bottom: Gallius Rax, who destroyed the empire when he could have become Emperor

Legends: i haven't read much, but Thrawn Trilogy is at the top, but with many other good moments as well. haven't really got a least favorite part.

Cross-Over: episodes 1/2 are my least favorite, as they were bad movies, and the prequel trilogy did a bad job of showing Anakin's slide to the Dark Side. it wouldn't have worked without the 2008-2012 clone wars TV series, which really portrayed all the parts of Anakin's personality that Obi-Wan mentions in ANH but doesn't show in the movies, as well as his slide to the Dark side. as for the original trilogy, my favorite is probably RoTJ.
do you know what really makes me mad? that the NR didn't make as many different SSDs as the empire. they would have won much faster had they done so. it's just not fair. but, if their were more NR SSDs, they would be absolute SUPER-CARRIERS.

but, i'm a member of the PA at heart, and my wish here is to join the ranks of grand admirals... sorry, the elite imperial alignment

April 30, 2017, 11:28:35 AMReply #14

Offline kucsidave

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2017, 11:28:35 AM »
if you noticed, I tried to contain myself to material that is not common.
Except Jar Jar. That is too brutal to miss.

April 30, 2017, 02:31:10 PMReply #15

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2017, 02:31:10 PM »
yup. it would have been better if he was a Sith after all
do you know what really makes me mad? that the NR didn't make as many different SSDs as the empire. they would have won much faster had they done so. it's just not fair. but, if their were more NR SSDs, they would be absolute SUPER-CARRIERS.

but, i'm a member of the PA at heart, and my wish here is to join the ranks of grand admirals... sorry, the elite imperial alignment

April 30, 2017, 03:14:51 PMReply #16

Offline kucsidave

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2017, 03:14:51 PM »
ah, so you heard about that too :D
Yes. I think that Disney would have been much better with turning him around instead of just... Jar Jar Abremsing it up even more.

April 30, 2017, 04:03:07 PMReply #17

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2017, 04:03:07 PM »
and the Jar Jar jokes return!!

May 16, 2017, 04:59:47 PMReply #18

Offline Darth Kade

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2017, 04:59:47 PM »
Legends has much cooler ships as of right now. Favorite is bellator and praetor 2.

May 16, 2017, 05:51:55 PMReply #19

Offline Grand Admiral Rufaan Tigellinus

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +8/-0
  • One of the 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2017, 05:51:55 PM »
I would say that this forum isn't really the best place to ask a question like that, since Legends will get an easy win here any time (and this is how it should be). And once again I find myself agreeing completely with Revanchist's opinion (beware, I might just simply be his second account), that any good that has come out of Disney canon is based on Legends materials one way or the other. Legends in no way can be inferior to the Disney Canon, simply because they didn't have the luxury of having a source of storytelling and characters to rely on, apart from the films. Disney, on the other hand, at any point could just use a Legends character or story any way they liked. Just think about it for a second - without Thrawn Rebels wouldn't be nearly as good, and he is a Legends character who was simply reworked into the new Canon. Kylo Ren is Jacen Solo, etc., I could go on and on.
"To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Maybe those nihilist philosophers are right; maybe this is all we can expect of the universe, a relentless crushing of life and spirit, because the equilibrium state of the cosmos is death" - Arthur C. Clarke

"We even ignited the first atomic bomb on the day commemorating the transfiguration of Christ, thus unconsciously signaling that we intended likewise to transform the world, not only after the light but after darkness - with a blast that burned several times hotter than the surface of the sun." - Stanislav Grof, "Human Survival and Consciousness Evolution"

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!