Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: The New cannon is frustrating  (Read 26260 times)

May 03, 2017, 11:47:17 AMReply #60

Offline Revanchist

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +42/-5
  • I am Revan reborn. And before me you are nothing.
    • View Profile
Re: The New cannon is frustrating
« Reply #60 on: May 03, 2017, 11:47:17 AM »
It also mean they can ignore terribad stuff in EU.

And make their own terriworse stuff instead.
"History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

"But...it was so artistically done."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

Member of the Imperial Alignment

May 03, 2017, 12:12:50 PMReply #61

Offline Mr.Puerto

• Mod Team Member
  • Admiral
  • Approval: +18/-6
  • Professional Shut in, Steam Name: Mr.puertorican
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 03, 2017, 12:12:50 PM »
I mean at least Disney revived the Star Wars franchise, it would probably be dead if it wasn't rebooted by being purchased by Disney. I mean the content is rather hit or miss, but they did save the property from becoming dead in the water. 
“In this world, whenever there is light, there are also shadows. As long as the concept of winners exist, there must also be losers. The selfish desire of wanting to maintain peace causes wars and hatred is born to protect love.“

May 03, 2017, 12:27:54 PMReply #62

Offline Revanchist

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 03, 2017, 12:27:54 PM »
I mean at least Disney revived the Star Wars franchise, it would probably be dead if it wasn't rebooted by being purchased by Disney. I mean the content is rather hit or miss, but they did save the property from becoming dead in the water.

Considering the success TCW was having I couldn't really say
"History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 03, 2017, 12:49:33 PMReply #63

Offline kucsidave

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +44/-4
  • Don't fear your Demons. Make them fear YOU.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 03, 2017, 12:49:33 PM »
star wars weren't dying.
It had a successful MMO RPG in SWTOR which was so successful that in fact it is still running and keeoing itself up.
There were books, comics and many other stuff.
So SW wasn't even remotely close to death.
Also think of the LEGO stuff as well.
"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster.
And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche

May 03, 2017, 01:22:05 PMReply #64

Offline GreyStar

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +11/-4
  • The Rival Defender
    • View Profile
    • Steam Page
« Reply #64 on: May 03, 2017, 01:22:05 PM »

Well you're right, but it was alive. Alive mostly to Star Wars fans and some sci-fi fanboys, it had settled into the stage of "nothing major going on here, just some cool stuff." Episode 7 ressurected the property full sale while simutainously killing it, irreversably shifting the direction from the built up EU into... Mary Sue, TRACTOR, and Pilot Guy killing innocent action figures.

Yeah I'd honestly prefer SW then the current state it is, new Thrawn be damned.

Should've just made new movies within the old EU. Maybe Legacy...

May 03, 2017, 01:50:45 PMReply #65

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
  • Approval: +134/-14
  • Nothing shall withstand my ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 03, 2017, 01:50:45 PM »
It had reached a point it needed to end as everything had been done from story or scenario possibilities, however it did NOT require a shameless reboot and theft that had the audacity to claim creative freedom. It deserved to die with dignity and be remembered as a golden era. You don't have to milk something to death and beyond for cash.
"I do not intend to be the Emperor's servant forever..."-High Inquisitor Jerec

"The New Order has never fallen. Only the Emperor."-Grand Moff Ardus Kaine

May 03, 2017, 03:26:58 PMReply #66

Offline DarthRevansRevenge

• Admiral
  • Approval: +14/-3
  • Your empire is doomed. Revan has returned
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 03, 2017, 03:26:58 PM »
yes
do you know what really makes me mad? that the NR didn't make as many different SSDs as the empire. they would have won much faster had they done so. it's just not fair. but, if their were more NR SSDs, they would be absolute SUPER-CARRIERS.

but, i'm a member of the PA at heart, and my wish here is to join the ranks of grand admirals... sorry, the elite imperial alignment

May 03, 2017, 03:35:02 PMReply #67

Offline kucsidave

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 03, 2017, 03:35:02 PM »
exactly. Just think of how much time had been between the first 3 movies, and how much between the originals and the prequels.
Star Wars(or A New Hope):1977
TESB:1980 - 3 years
RotJ: 1983 - 3 years again
TPM: 1999 - 16 years OMG
AotC: 2002 -3 years once again
RotS: 2005 - What a surprise, once again 3 years...
And all of them were in may... Never in December, just before the oscar... weird...
Then, let's see Disney...
TFA: 2015 - 10 years, but the movie itself was put together under just 1... AFTER A "TOTAL REBOOT" WHICH WAS A CARBON COPY OF THE ORIGINAL STAR WARS WITH A FEW SCENES FROM 5 AND 6 PLACED HERE AND THERE!!!!
Rogue One: 2016: 2016 - 1 year
TLJ: 2017 - 1 year
The untitled Han Solo movie: 2018 - 1 year
Episode IX: 2019 - 1 FUCKIN YEAR ONCE AGAIN!
AND IF IT IS NOT ENOUGH, THEY ALREADY PLAN AN ANOTHER UNNAMED Anthology film IN 2020!!!!
AGAIN 1 GODDAMN YEAR!

I am not angry. I AM FUCKIN CONCERNED ABOUT THE DIRECTION STAR WARS IS HEADING!
THIS IS A FRANCHISE I GREW UP ON! I ATE, DRANK AND BREATHED IT IN EVERY MOMENT OF MY LIFE! Heck, when I was going to kindergarten me and my friend not just knew every goddamn word of all 4 movies that were out at the moment, but we played one of them every goddamn day.
WE WANTED TO BE JEDI when we grew up goddamnit.
So believe me when I say it. THIS IS TOO MUCH STAR WARS IN TOO LITTLE TIME WITH NOT ENOUGH THINKING AND PLANNING! THIS HAS TO STOP OR THEY WILL BE THE ONES KILLING STAR WARS.
"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster.
And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche

May 03, 2017, 03:41:18 PMReply #68

Offline Revanchist

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 03, 2017, 03:41:18 PM »
exactly. Just think of how much time had been between the first 3 movies, and how much between the originals and the prequels.
Star Wars(or A New Hope):1977
TESB:1980 - 3 years
RotJ: 1983 - 3 years again
TPM: 1999 - 16 years OMG
AotC: 2002 -3 years once again
RotS: 2005 - What a surprise, once again 3 years...
And all of them were in may... Never in December, just before the oscar... weird...
Then, let's see Disney...
TFA: 2015 - 10 years, but the movie itself was put together under just 1... AFTER A "TOTAL REBOOT" WHICH WAS A CARBON COPY OF THE ORIGINAL STAR WARS WITH A FEW SCENES FROM 5 AND 6 PLACED HERE AND THERE!!!!
Rogue One: 2016: 2016 - 1 year
TLJ: 2017 - 1 year
The untitled Han Solo movie: 2018 - 1 year
Episode IX: 2019 - 1 FUCKIN YEAR ONCE AGAIN!
AND IF IT IS NOT ENOUGH, THEY ALREADY PLAN AN ANOTHER UNNAMED Anthology film IN 2020!!!!
AGAIN 1 GODDAMN YEAR!

I am not angry. I AM FUCKIN CONCERNED ABOUT THE DIRECTION STAR WARS IS HEADING!
THIS IS A FRANCHISE I GREW UP ON! I ATE, DRANK AND BREATHED IT IN EVERY MOMENT OF MY LIFE! Heck, when I was going to kindergarten me and my friend not just knew every goddamn word of all 4 movies that were out at the moment, but we played one of them every goddamn day.
WE WANTED TO BE JEDI when we grew up goddamnit.
So believe me when I say it. THIS IS TOO MUCH STAR WARS IN TOO LITTLE TIME WITH NOT ENOUGH THINKING AND PLANNING! THIS HAS TO STOP OR THEY WILL BE THE ONES KILLING STAR WARS.

Exactly. It's really sad to say that I no longer feel the same about Star Wars than I did just a few years ago. It used to be such a huge part of my life, now it feels almost foreign to me.
Grand Admiral Thrawn

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 03, 2017, 03:45:04 PMReply #69

Offline GreyStar

• Vice Admiral
  • The Rival Defender
    • View Profile
    • Steam Page
« Reply #69 on: May 03, 2017, 03:45:04 PM »
Exactly. It's really sad to say that I no longer feel the same about Star Wars than I did just a few years ago. It used to be such a huge part of my life, now it feels almost foreign to me.
Brought this up during a school Star Wars VS Harry Potter debate. Other side admitted Star Wars had become a cash grab.

May 03, 2017, 03:48:24 PMReply #70

Offline kucsidave

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 03, 2017, 03:48:24 PM »
well, look up NASA's Commercial Crew & Cargo Program Office
Or as they call it C3PO
The world is run by a bunch of nerds :D
BEAT THAT, HARRY POTTER!

May 03, 2017, 03:51:09 PMReply #71

Offline GreyStar

• Vice Admiral
  • The Rival Defender
    • View Profile
    • Steam Page
« Reply #71 on: May 03, 2017, 03:51:09 PM »
Debate was 5 months ago, I was on the Harry Potter team, we lost.

May 03, 2017, 03:55:17 PMReply #72

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 03, 2017, 03:55:17 PM »
well, look up NASA's Commercial Crew & Cargo Program Office
Or as they call it C3PO
The world is run by a bunch of nerds :D
BEAT THAT, HARRY POTTER!

A. Who should it be Run by? Thrawn's revenge?
B. i like both, please don't offend either off them

Debate was 5 months ago, I was on the Harry Potter team, we lost.

can't say i am surprised, but it is shameful what Disney is doing to Star Wars. it should be called Disney Wars instead
do you know what really makes me mad? that the NR didn't make as many different SSDs as the empire. they would have won much faster had they done so. it's just not fair. but, if their were more NR SSDs, they would be absolute SUPER-CARRIERS.

but, i'm a member of the PA at heart, and my wish here is to join the ranks of grand admirals... sorry, the elite imperial alignment

May 03, 2017, 03:56:22 PMReply #73

Offline Illidan Stormrage

• Admiral
  • Approval: +17/-10
  • Killing a Emperor doesnt end a Empire
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 03, 2017, 03:56:22 PM »
I compare the EU VS cannon to the empire(US Eu fans) vs the rebel terrorists(Disney)
we lost the Eu at the battle of Endor....
But we still hold out and keep fighting.
We are waiting for that moment to strike back...
SEIZE THIS TIME MY EU EMPIRE.

ASEND FROM DARKNESS
RAIN FIRE
SKIWER THE WINGED BEAST
WIELD THE FIST OF IRON
FREEDOM
(anyone gets this reference I be happy):)
"The Empire did nothing wrong obviously" :)
"Your Memes will make a fine addition to my collection"
"YOU ARE NOT PREPARED!"

May 03, 2017, 03:58:34 PMReply #74

Offline kucsidave

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 03, 2017, 03:58:34 PM »
I love HP as well, don't misunderstand me. It is just Star Wars is better with classes

May 03, 2017, 04:32:08 PMReply #75

Offline Mr.Puerto

• Mod Team Member
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 03, 2017, 04:32:08 PM »
Well Lucasflim is taking a marvel approach and having these movies come out every year. Thats why so see so many films, and I do agree it is quite concerning. There is a thing called product fatigue, and its probably going to hit Star Wars very soon, the reason why its so beloved is because the movies are so spaced out they can hit every generation. I was also under the impression that if Star Wars wasn't sold to Disney Lucas would've retired and that would in turn bankrupt Lucasflim and you get where the situation would go from there.

I do believe the story of 7 was a carbon copy, though. That's probably why I like it, but they could've done so much more with the new cast but they put themselves into a position where they're not expanding the characters, just rehashing Luke,Han and Leia. And unless we see something explained for this like reincarnation then it is bad writing. I love the new crew but they are limited by writing for the masses rather than writing for the sake of Star Wars.

There's always a sliver lining though, we've seen so many new people join the SW community its pretty surreal. I think that's one thing we have to be thankful for, new people means more dialogue for the new material and more people reading the EU to see why people are so passionate about it. Let's face it though, EU had big problems as well. No direct support from Lucas, no actual plan so there's always a mess in writing, a reborn emperor. And to top it all off the story never really ended to my knowledge it just kept going for no good reason.
“In this world, whenever there is light, there are also shadows. As long as the concept of winners exist, there must also be losers. The selfish desire of wanting to maintain peace causes wars and hatred is born to protect love.“

May 03, 2017, 05:55:35 PMReply #76

Offline Revanchist

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 03, 2017, 05:55:35 PM »
There's always a sliver lining though, we've seen so many new people join the SW community its pretty surreal.

New people I can't even begin to relate with though. Star Wars is no longer my playground, it's a playground for the new gen with their new canon. Fans like myself don't have a place anymore really.

I think that's one thing we have to be thankful for, new people means more dialogue for the new material and more people reading the EU to see why people are so passionate about it.

You really think new fans will read the EU? Why read something that didn't happen and will just confuse them when they can read something that is actually Star Wars (real response I've had from  the "new gen" of Star Wars fans when I've tried to promote the EU). I give it 5 years tops before they stop keeping Legends material in print.

Let's face it though, EU had big problems as well. No direct support from Lucas, no actual plan so there's always a mess in writing, a reborn emperor. And to top it all off the story never really ended to my knowledge it just kept going for no good reason.

No direct support from Lucas was a huge problem, I agree 100%. However, to say there was no actual plan isn't really true. A lot of the mess in writing with the early novels had to do with the fact that there was no prequel trilogy that set down what things were like in the pre-Dark Times (hence timeline issues with the Clone Wars, Coruscant having beaches, etc). Other issues tended to be cross platform (say, a book and a video game had conflicts). As to the Reborn Emperor, yeah that was a weak plot, but so is: Luke runs away, Leia and Han split up, and everything the main characters in the original trilogy fought for is in vain because we are back to the place we started.
Grand Admiral Thrawn

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 03, 2017, 06:04:22 PMReply #77

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 03, 2017, 06:04:22 PM »
yeah, that is true...
but, I, on the other hand, am a mess when it comes to placing myself

i grew up with the original trilogy, and slowly watched the prequels too. then, TFA comes out and i "loved it".
this was before i had read a single star wars book. i started reading those books and thinking, too bad these aren't in actual canon.
October of last year i joined the forums and started reading the opinions and thoughts of you guys, the TR family, and my feelings reversed. i saw TFA for what it was, and was extremely annoyed at disney for what they had done. Write their own thing, fine, but cutting off any support for legends, so we can't expand on the gaps in our universe was beyond obnoxious. Rogue One and the last episode of Rebels are the only Highlights i have seen that disney has put out, while legends has many more new stuff to explore and an amazing universe on top of that. I'm currently reading NJO series, but i still see disney as beyond ridiculous

May 03, 2017, 06:09:33 PMReply #78

Offline Mr.Puerto

• Mod Team Member
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 03, 2017, 06:09:33 PM »
New people I can't even begin to relate with though. Star Wars is no longer my playground, it's a playground for the new gen with their new canon. Fans like myself don't have a place anymore really.

You really think new fans will read the EU? Why read something that didn't happen and will just confuse them when they can read something that is actually Star Wars (real response I've had from  the "new gen" of Star Wars fans when I've tried to promote the EU). I give it 5 years tops before they stop keeping Legends material in print.

No direct support from Lucas was a huge problem, I agree 100%. However, to say there was no actual plan isn't really true. A lot of the mess in writing with the early novels had to do with the fact that there was no prequel trilogy that set down what things were like in the pre-Dark Times (hence timeline issues with the Clone Wars, Coruscant having beaches, etc). Other issues tended to be cross platform (say, a book and a video game had conflicts). As to the Reborn Emperor, yeah that was a weak plot, but so is: Luke runs away, Leia and Han split up, and everything the main characters in the original trilogy fought for is in vain because we are back to the place we started.

Okay you make a fair point I never thought about, it does seem like we are slowly being separated from the major Star Wars community, but I think thats due to the fans that are like FUCK YOU DISNEY EA FOR RUINING STAR WARS and just being childish about it and not actually taking a normal, calm response about it.
I also think Legends material still makes plenty of money otherwise they would never bring legends characters back from it.
And you're right about the issue with 7 and so on, I'm just saying EU isn't perfect though its treated like it.

May 03, 2017, 07:04:03 PMReply #79

Offline Illidan Stormrage

• Admiral
  • Approval: +17/-10
  • Killing a Emperor doesnt end a Empire
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 03, 2017, 07:04:03 PM »
Ibut let me be honest I actually would have like a fixing of the EU.
Some of the contents are just real shit.
this is how I would have change the cannon this way.
everything up to the Pealleon-Gaverison-treaty would stay cannon. But I would take a approach that you have these disenfranchise Imperials who journey into the Unknown Regions to make a new Empire. They would wage a brutal war against the Empire of the Hand and we see they succeed in taking over half of the Wild space and Unknown Regions.
We then find out that the clone of Thrawn was a trick when Pealleon finds a piece of art sent to him by a unknown source, and it was made by Thrawn. After decrypting it Pealleon is given the location of the clone cylinders base and finds the real Thrawn. The real Thrawn explains that the art also shows a deceiving move in order to win the battle. He explains that he has been hiding out and gather old Imperial projects and contacting the Empire of the Hand preparing to fight the first order.
Then a different more unique TFA places out.

Also the Prequel/Rise of The empire Era I would leave up to them except don't change what affects the future.

DOES ANYONE GET THE REFERNCE!!!!????

I compare the EU VS cannon to the empire(US Eu fans) vs the rebel terrorists(Disney)
we lost the Eu at the battle of Endor....
But we still hold out and keep fighting.
We are waiting for that moment to strike back...
SEIZE THIS TIME MY EU EMPIRE.

ASEND FROM DARKNESS
RAIN FIRE
SKIWER THE WINGED BEAST
WIELD THE FIST OF IRON
FREEDOM
(anyone gets this reference I be happy):)
"The Empire did nothing wrong obviously" :)
"Your Memes will make a fine addition to my collection"
"YOU ARE NOT PREPARED!"

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!