Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: The New cannon is frustrating  (Read 26259 times)

April 25, 2017, 10:22:05 PM

Offline Illidan Stormrage

• Admiral
  • Approval: +17/-10
  • Killing a Emperor doesnt end a Empire
    • View Profile
The New cannon is frustrating
« on: April 25, 2017, 10:22:05 PM »
frustration.
that is the single best word to describe the Disney cannon.
now before I vent anger I want to give credit where credit is due(Even though I have little respect for this cannon)

What is good:
Finally seeing Thrawn in movie/television (don't spoil book please still not done)
The stories told from Imperial Points of view are much better than books like Aftermath(I have a major HATE for those books) and are generally kind of cool.
The Darth Vader comic stories are amazing
Some of the new ships, troops, vehicles, and characters on The EMPIRE'S side are great. Krrenic is a great Australian Imperial :), Death troopers are cool, some of the new imperial ships like the Carrion Spike, I'm am hype actually for Inferno Squadron since it is nice to play as a Counter-Terrorist Unit against the crazy rebel terrorists, and most of all I like the Iden Veriso.

But lets talk about what angers me.

1: How Endor's Aftermath is done. This is the Fucking worst problem about the New cannon. It is so stupid the idea the Emperor uses for killing off the Empire after his death is that "In a chess match if the king is kill then the subordinates have failed and should go down with their king" WTF. Not only that they say the Empire COULD HAVE WON. That would be a great change you know. The sequel could have had Imperial splinter factions along with the First order as a actual threat to the galaxy and a still functional but disorganize empire. This Just pisses me off everyday I think about it. FUCK YOU GALLIUS RAX.

2: this notion of avoiding doing movies, comics, and tv shows around, during, or before the clone wars. I like all star wars movies but the prequels are worst than the originals. But Disney has this notion that the prequel timeline is stupid and worst than the original trilogy and to avoid content around it. This is one of the reason the CLONE WARS was CANCELED. It is the sad truth.

3: The spinoffs: Now I just have to ask. Did anyone ask necessary for a Han Solo Movie? Or Rogue one? I have heard many of my friends want a Cad Bane or Bounty Hunters movie while any fans want a obi-wan movie. Can They just give us also less movies set between 3 and 4 and movies set between 5 and 6?

That be great.

#CadBaneMovieorTVshow.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 10:39:52 PM by AdmrialThrawn2 »
"The Empire did nothing wrong obviously" :)
"Your Memes will make a fine addition to my collection"
"YOU ARE NOT PREPARED!"

April 25, 2017, 11:06:40 PMReply #1

Offline Mr.Puerto

• Mod Team Member
  • Admiral
  • Approval: +18/-6
  • Professional Shut in, Steam Name: Mr.puertorican
    • View Profile
Re: The New cannon is frustrating
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 11:06:40 PM »
First lets cool down remember Star Wars always had cannon problems so this is nothing new :)
Also remember Disney has no control over lucasflims at this point they're just distributors of the product. So direct all your anger toward Lucasflims.

1.The aftermath series from what I can tell had a pretty good layout for what it had envisioned, however bad writing plagued it to the point where it sounds bad overall, it also makes sense that Palpatine wanted the empire to take down the galaxy with his death, seeing how he always envisioned himself at the top, and saw no point for it to exist without him. It fits his character very well. Though I do agree they could've phrased it and wrote it better.

2.Everything was canceled during the time Star Wars became a Disney property, it makes sense, how are you going to develop anything while you're currently changing business models, making plans for the future of the franchise and so on, if they did do things in this period of time, it would've doomed Star Wars with more poor quality content. Plus not many people that are older than, well your age like the prequels, so they avoid it because they don't want to be run down by the worse part of Star Wars. If anything Disney could probably redo 1,2,3 and get a very positive response since those movies are so bad.

3.Rogue one was probably the best thing to happen to Star Wars, not only did it bring back extremist old fans like Timpedia (by extremist I mean those who did not like the way the franchise was going since before Disney, I fall under this group. Kinda of) But it also dispelled this weird and frankly false notion that Star Wars was pandering to SJWs (that's a whole other discussion) even Alex Jones the biggest conspiracy theorist (sorry for my bad language) dick head said Rogue one was a good movie and had no or very little SJW stuff in it. Finally I've never heard anyone say they wanted a Cad Bane movie, In my small opinion Cad Bane is just an awful character with a cool voice, that's why everyone likes him. They already killed him off behind the scenes. Who knows how the Han Solo movie can go, we'll see what happens.
“In this world, whenever there is light, there are also shadows. As long as the concept of winners exist, there must also be losers. The selfish desire of wanting to maintain peace causes wars and hatred is born to protect love.“

April 26, 2017, 05:42:39 AMReply #2

Offline Grand Admiral Rufaan Tigellinus

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +8/-0
  • One of the 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 05:42:39 AM »
Yep, you're right, Thrawn, on every one of your points. It's sad, isn't it. Btw, I'm the biggest Boba Fett fanboy in the world (Mandowanker, as some would likely call me), but I would still rather see an Obi-Wan standalone film, just to see Ewan McGregor portray him again, before he gets too old. I mean, you can cast anyone as Boba, it can wait. If Disney really decide to make a Boba Fett film ahead of Obi-Wan in 2020, that'd be weird. But seeing where everything in the franchise is going, I wouldn't be surprised if they tell us, fans, to fuck off again. I've seen an interview with Mark Hamill recently on youtube, where he was referring to his character's story with Joruus C'Baoth in the Thrawn trilogy, saying that he would love to see something like this on screen, but that people at Disney told him that they would NEVER use legends stories directly, in order to not have to give credit to other authors, but at the same time recognizing that all the best ideas have already been used in legends. So there's not much hope for improvement, folks. We just have to be thankful that people like Corey and his wonderful team exist, and that they keep fighting for the EU lore to get as much exposure as possible under such unhelpful circumstances. It warms my heart, seeing how all the EaW let's players on youtube are struggling to pronounce Ysanne Isard or Zsinj, knowing that most of them would never have encountered those characters if they didn't appear in a game. And this applies to most Thrawn's Revenge players out there. So we all owe Corey and the guys for that.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 07:08:58 AM by Major Grodin Tierce »
"To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Maybe those nihilist philosophers are right; maybe this is all we can expect of the universe, a relentless crushing of life and spirit, because the equilibrium state of the cosmos is death" - Arthur C. Clarke

"We even ignited the first atomic bomb on the day commemorating the transfiguration of Christ, thus unconsciously signaling that we intended likewise to transform the world, not only after the light but after darkness - with a blast that burned several times hotter than the surface of the sun." - Stanislav Grof, "Human Survival and Consciousness Evolution"

April 26, 2017, 06:55:37 AMReply #3

• Rear Admiral
  • One of the 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 06:55:37 AM »
Plus not many people that are older than, well your age like the prequels, so they avoid it because they don't want to be run down by the worse part of Star Wars. If anything Disney could probably redo 1,2,3 and get a very positive response since those movies are so bad.

I beg to differ. How was Revenge of the Sith bad? Easily better than the Force Awakens, I still haven't found any honest SW fans who would disagree with this (well, maybe you're the first one). IMO even the Phantom Menace and the Attack of the Clones were better than that godawful epigonistic piece of garbage, but I realize that both of these are incredibly flawed and are indeed bad throughout, albeit not entirely bereft of original ideas like TFA. But still it pains me to see how people like you disregard RotS as part of the prequels, which in their mind automatically equals bad. Was it, really? If you can prove me wrong I'll admit it, but I know for a fact that there would be people in this thread who agree with me. RotS is not flawless, for sure, but a bad film it ain't.

P.S.: And the Aftermath book had no redeeming qualities whatsoever. Having read it, unfortunately, I don't recommend it to anyone. You'll just waste your time and nerves (if you're a Legends fan).
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 07:01:51 AM by Major Grodin Tierce »
"To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Maybe those nihilist philosophers are right; maybe this is all we can expect of the universe, a relentless crushing of life and spirit, because the equilibrium state of the cosmos is death" - Arthur C. Clarke

"We even ignited the first atomic bomb on the day commemorating the transfiguration of Christ, thus unconsciously signaling that we intended likewise to transform the world, not only after the light but after darkness - with a blast that burned several times hotter than the surface of the sun." - Stanislav Grof, "Human Survival and Consciousness Evolution"

April 26, 2017, 08:12:16 AMReply #4

Offline HobbesHurlbut

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +5/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 08:12:16 AM »
The fact that the novelization outshined the movie version for RotS...massively....and I have read and watched both. So yes RotS wasn't that GOOD, but better than TPM. I rank Prequels the lowest of the SW movies though.

TFA was great to watch, I would rank it on the same level as ANH.

April 26, 2017, 08:17:32 AMReply #5

Offline HobbesHurlbut

• Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 08:17:32 AM »
frustration.
that is the single best word to describe the Disney cannon.

2: this notion of avoiding doing movies, comics, and tv shows around, during, or before the clone wars. I like all star wars movies but the prequels are worst than the originals. But Disney has this notion that the prequel timeline is stupid and worst than the original trilogy and to avoid content around it. This is one of the reason the CLONE WARS was CANCELED. It is the sad truth.
That's not the main reason. The main reason is.....look at what channel did Disney put the newest Star Wars show Rebels on? Then look at what channel the Clone Wars show was hosted.... And to help you get hang of it, Disney do not own the channel Clone Wars was on.

April 26, 2017, 09:38:21 AMReply #6

Offline kucsidave

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +44/-4
  • Don't fear your Demons. Make them fear YOU.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 09:38:21 AM »
I have to admit, the new caNon IS frustrating.
In the meantime, here's a picture of an actual CANNON
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 04:30:56 PM by kucsidave »
"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster.
And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche

April 26, 2017, 09:39:16 AMReply #7

Offline GreyStar

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +11/-4
  • The Rival Defender
    • View Profile
    • Steam Page
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 09:39:16 AM »
The fact that the novelization outshined the movie version for RotS...massively....and I have read and watched both. So yes RotS wasn't that GOOD, but better than TPM. I rank Prequels the lowest of the SW movies though.

Because puns make great comedy during murder.
"We were promised a handsome reward!"
"Am I not handsome enough for you?" Totally the Darth Vader we want guys.
"Make sure not to choke on your aspirations director."
That's not the main reason. The main reason is.....look at what channel did Disney put the newest Star Wars show Rebels on? Then look at what channel the Clone Wars show was hosted.... And to help you get hang of it, Disney do not own the channel Clone Wars was on.
I'd argue that it was cancelled because it was during the prequels considering how much original trilogy merch was on sale in the FTA hype train.

April 26, 2017, 12:23:34 PMReply #8

Offline Mr.Puerto

• Mod Team Member
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 12:23:34 PM »
I beg to differ. How was Revenge of the Sith bad? Easily better than the Force Awakens, I still haven't found any honest SW fans who would disagree with this (well, maybe you're the first one). IMO even the Phantom Menace and the Attack of the Clones were better than that godawful epigonistic piece of garbage, but I realize that both of these are incredibly flawed and are indeed bad throughout, albeit not entirely bereft of original ideas like TFA. But still it pains me to see how people like you disregard RotS as part of the prequels, which in their mind automatically equals bad. Was it, really? If you can prove me wrong I'll admit it, but I know for a fact that there would be people in this thread who agree with me. RotS is not flawless, for sure, but a bad film it ain't.

P.S.: And the Aftermath book had no redeeming qualities whatsoever. Having read it, unfortunately, I don't recommend it to anyone. You'll just waste your time and nerves (if you're a Legends fan).
Let's face it aftermath was just terribly written. Anyway I associate ROTS with the prequels because they were the same line of movies? ROTS was alright, no the best nor the worse Star Wars film. I would put it above TFA, but I would put the rest of the prequels way under TFA, that's just how bad they were. I grew up with the originals and you probably grew up with the prequels so that's probably why you hold them in such high regard Edit: not there's anything wrong with that, everyone is human and has different opinions which is completely fine I still like you, as long as you don't insult me. We can keep this completely civil
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 12:34:20 PM by Mr.Puerto »
“In this world, whenever there is light, there are also shadows. As long as the concept of winners exist, there must also be losers. The selfish desire of wanting to maintain peace causes wars and hatred is born to protect love.“

April 26, 2017, 02:39:34 PMReply #9

Offline DarthRevansRevenge

• Admiral
  • Approval: +14/-3
  • Your empire is doomed. Revan has returned
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2017, 02:39:34 PM »

1st, i agree. RoTS was much better than the awful remake of ANH(it's only redeeming is it looked cool), but i am not a fan of the other 2 movies. while the plot could have been better, it is one of the better star wars movies, alongside the original trilogy and Rogue one

2nd, i read Aftermath 1 and 2, but i agree, nowhere near as good as legends

3rd,

and disney is not the best, i agree, but they are slowly learning

4th,

I have to admit, the new caNon IS frustrating.
In the meantime, here's a picture of an actual CANNON
[img=http://kingofwallpapers.com/cannon/cannon-020.jpg][/img]

i'll look at that, but Disney is not close to EU yet
do you know what really makes me mad? that the NR didn't make as many different SSDs as the empire. they would have won much faster had they done so. it's just not fair. but, if their were more NR SSDs, they would be absolute SUPER-CARRIERS.

but, i'm a member of the PA at heart, and my wish here is to join the ranks of grand admirals... sorry, the elite imperial alignment

April 26, 2017, 04:26:12 PMReply #10

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2017, 04:26:12 PM »
I mean lets compare Aftermath and the timeline between Jedi and Force Awakens against the Eu Endor timeline.

Cannon:
Before Endor the Emperor planned the Empire's destruction should he die. this plan involve messenger droids launching operations to scorch planets chosen in advance with super weapons.
Gallius Rax was chosen to lead this plan.
when the Emperor died the Empire had rally for a meeting and the Imperial Council formed of Admirals, moffs and Imperial leaders. The Imperials the Met Gallius Rax who slowly destroyed the Empire over one year.
While some like Governor Adheard form is own faction in Anoat Sector we saw most Imperial forces sent to Jakku. this was design to demoralize them and make them weak for the battle against the NR/rebels/Terrorists. the Plan was to trick both Rebel and Imperial forces so that Gallius Rax could BLOW THE FUCK out of Jakku killing all. But Rae Slaone saved them all, even though she was labeled a Imperial War Criminal. Rae slaone then use the coordinates to find the Eclispe SSD along with Armitage, and Brenadal Hux and their army of brainwashed children turn storm troopers(sound Familiar?). They use this to rebuild the Empire as the first order. While the rest of the empire sign a treaty similar to the treaty of Versailles if you know WW1 history. this started a cold war between the three factions. then the Force Awakens happened.

Legends:
I don't no everything but I like to have Lord Xizer help on this one please.

But in short:
Warlords
Thrawn
Isard
Emperor Reborn.
Dalaa
Peallaon
IR
Proxy wars with warlords and way more that I just may short due to TMI.

Maybe Xizer can post a decent summary for me.

"YOU ARE NOT PREPARED!"

April 26, 2017, 04:54:40 PMReply #11

Offline HobbesHurlbut

• Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2017, 04:54:40 PM »
You missed one notable battle from the new Canon timeline; Battle of Kuat which lasted for several weeks and whose loss was a major blow for the Empire military industry especially for the navy.

April 26, 2017, 06:20:22 PMReply #12

Offline DarthRevansRevenge

• Admiral
  • Approval: +14/-3
  • Your empire is doomed. Revan has returned
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2017, 06:20:22 PM »
but he is mostly on topic
do you know what really makes me mad? that the NR didn't make as many different SSDs as the empire. they would have won much faster had they done so. it's just not fair. but, if their were more NR SSDs, they would be absolute SUPER-CARRIERS.

but, i'm a member of the PA at heart, and my wish here is to join the ranks of grand admirals... sorry, the elite imperial alignment

April 26, 2017, 06:31:33 PMReply #13

Offline Mr.Puerto

• Mod Team Member
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2017, 06:31:33 PM »
I mean I don't see why it's such a deal of concern. You could just keep things in head cannon, if you really had a problem with current cannon you wouldn't pay any attention to it, or support it.

April 26, 2017, 06:41:02 PMReply #14

• Rear Admiral
  • One of the 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2017, 06:41:02 PM »
Let's face it aftermath was just terribly written. Anyway I associate ROTS with the prequels because they were the same line of movies? ROTS was alright, no the best nor the worse Star Wars film. I would put it above TFA, but I would put the rest of the prequels way under TFA, that's just how bad they were. I grew up with the originals and you probably grew up with the prequels so that's probably why you hold them in such high regard Edit: not there's anything wrong with that, everyone is human and has different opinions which is completely fine I still like you, as long as you don't insult me. We can keep this completely civil

Man, I'm 24, and even though I did grow up with the prequels, I still agree that they haven't aged well with me, and that their flaws easily surpass the strengths. My film taste now is actually completely different to what it was at the time, and at this stage even ESB is probably a 7/10 film for me, if I'm dead honest. I'm a SW fan for the lore only at this stage, I'm too madly in love with the universe to let it go. Still, imo it's unfair to throw RotS under the prequel hate bus, it's really not nearly as bad, and I'm glad to see that we agree on that. I didn't mean to offend you, sorry if my tone was a little harsh. I like you, too, in fact, and have always found your insight on any of the topics here very useful, you're clearly a very smart guy. And thank you for the kind words.

Btw, how old are you? If you don't mind me asking, of course, I'm just curious. Since you said you grew up with the originals, but yet I clearly remember you talking about going to college, and very recently. If you're actually a teacher there, then I'm sorry for suspecting that you're younger than me, lol.

April 26, 2017, 07:00:06 PMReply #15

• Rear Admiral
  • One of the 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2017, 07:00:06 PM »

Well, it's really a matter of opinions, I guess. TFA wasn't fun to watch for me at all, for instance. But there is no point in arguing, we're both entitled to what we believe. And I agree with you about the novelization of RotS, which was indeed better, overall, than the movie. I doubt, though, that this necessarily undermines the film in any way. But I respect your opinion nonetheless, have a nice day, sir :)

April 26, 2017, 09:51:16 PMReply #16

Offline Revanchist

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +42/-5
  • I am Revan reborn. And before me you are nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2017, 09:51:16 PM »
I'm a SW fan for the lore only at this stage, I'm too madly in love with the universe to let it go.

This is pretty much where I'm at too. Star Wars as just the 6 movies isn't all that great from a story perspective. If it wasn't for the groundbreaking effects I doubt it would have made it past 1977. It was the massive galaxy-building that sold it to me. That made things interesting, made it alive.
"History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

"But...it was so artistically done."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

Member of the Imperial Alignment

April 27, 2017, 01:12:39 AMReply #17

Offline Mr.Puerto

• Mod Team Member
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2017, 01:12:39 AM »
Man, I'm 24, and even though I did grow up with the prequels, I still agree that they haven't aged well with me, and that their flaws easily surpass the strengths. My film taste now is actually completely different to what it was at the time, and at this stage even ESB is probably a 7/10 film for me, if I'm dead honest. I'm a SW fan for the lore only at this stage, I'm too madly in love with the universe to let it go. Still, imo it's unfair to throw RotS under the prequel hate bus, it's really not nearly as bad, and I'm glad to see that we agree on that. I didn't mean to offend you, sorry if my tone was a little harsh. I like you, too, in fact, and have always found your insight on any of the topics here very useful, you're clearly a very smart guy. And thank you for the kind words.

Btw, how old are you? If you don't mind me asking, of course, I'm just curious. Since you said you grew up with the originals, but yet I clearly remember you talking about going to college, and very recently. If you're actually a teacher there, then I'm sorry for suspecting that you're younger than me, lol.

I won't give specifics but I am younger, the reason why I grew up with the originals is because that's what my family had for the most part. I watched the prequels and saw 3 in theaters, and loved them. But I always watched the originals more. Don't get me wrong I like all the movies, but that's why I'm so hard on the prequels because they could've been so much better.

And its no problem, its good to have discussion on these things in our tight knitted community. It wasn't harsh of course but I just wanted to defuse things before they got to that point since everyone is so passionate. I just get frustrated when there's unwarranted hate on certain companies when they have no control over these matters.

April 27, 2017, 07:21:21 AMReply #18

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2017, 07:21:21 AM »
It is a shame aftermath over shadows the good storys like Lost Stars, Tarkin, And Thrawn
Btw what the hell are these New worlds in Aftermath like "ze" or something. Someone said they are gender neutral pronouns which I really hope isn't true since I believe you only have two genders.(I don't hate against those people who say they are gender neutral, but I am don't want them to forcing me to use these words or read them. you can classify as a unicorn as long as I don't have to be force to believe that is officially true.)

now before I vent anger I want to give credit where credit is due(Even though I have little respect for this cannon)

What is good:
Finally seeing Thrawn in movie/television (don't spoil book please still not done)
The stories told from Imperial Points of view are much better than books like Aftermath(I have a major HATE for those books) and are generally kind of cool.
The Darth Vader comic stories are amazing
Some of the new ships, troops, vehicles, and characters on The EMPIRE'S side are great. Krrenic is a great Australian Imperial :), Death troopers are cool, some of the new imperial ships like the Carrion Spike, I'm am hype actually for Inferno Squadron since it is nice to play as a Counter-Terrorist Unit against the crazy rebel terrorists, and most of all I like the Iden Veriso.

#CadBaneMovieorTVshow.
I feel bad because their is great cannon stuff. But I see it over Shadow by bad books like the Aftermath books, and the other issue that Aftermath basically cause is that all books, games, and movies are force to use this in their stories if they want to talk about the aftermath of Endor. I mean Operation: Cinder is cool but if all is Just a Trap. I cant wait to play it though in battlefront 2 since you can see in the wookiepedia sources it say battlefront 2.

OF all the cannon books my favorite is Thrawn.
though I like a Cad Bane book or bounty hunter Tv series after rebels.
"YOU ARE NOT PREPARED!"

April 27, 2017, 07:59:03 AMReply #19

Offline kucsidave

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +44/-4
  • Don't fear your Demons. Make them fear YOU.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2017, 07:59:03 AM »
cannon?
"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster.
And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!