Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: Dummy Trade Ships  (Read 2886 times)

April 24, 2017, 10:31:50 AM

Offline GreyStar

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +11/-4
  • The Rival Defender
    • View Profile
    • Steam Page
Dummy Trade Ships
« on: April 24, 2017, 10:31:50 AM »
So in the Thrawn Novels a bulk frieghter was used to hold a compliment of 40 extra TIE fighters and 50 mole miners. Perhaps this cpuld be replicated for surprise attacks on enemy shiping using a dummy quaser for the NR for exmaple, with the NR getting boarding parties, IR getting mole miners, PA getting their extra fighter upgrades as a part of it, and the EotH due to a lack of trade gets the least benefit?

April 27, 2017, 11:12:23 PMReply #1

Offline briG

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +4/-3
    • View Profile
Re: Dummy Trade Ships
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 11:12:23 PM »
I'm not sure if I understand what you mean but if you're suggesting giving trade ships abilities it is possible I suppose.

April 27, 2017, 11:36:44 PMReply #2

Offline GreyStar

• Vice Admiral
  • The Rival Defender
    • View Profile
    • Steam Page
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 11:36:44 PM »
Not at all. I mean a completely new ship unit but it's visibly identical to a trade ship for the faction that builds it. It can carry starfighters and boarding parties and would primarily be used as sneak attacking ships for flanking / surprsing. Nothing could really ruin's someone's day as a bunch of Y-Wings blowing up military labs.

Granted I think I've heard of several ships desings that would probably be more interesting for regular combat.

April 29, 2017, 07:40:08 AMReply #3

Offline Papa Palps

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2017, 07:40:08 AM »
It would be quite fun to see something like this. :D

April 29, 2017, 12:58:17 PMReply #4

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2017, 12:58:17 PM »
Not at all. I mean a completely new ship unit but it's visibly identical to a trade ship for the faction that builds it. It can carry starfighters and boarding parties and would primarily be used as sneak attacking ships for flanking / surprsing. Nothing could really ruin's someone's day as a bunch of Y-Wings blowing up military labs.

Granted I think I've heard of several ships desings that would probably be more interesting for regular combat.

That's basically already what the Quasar is, since the Quasar is both the New Republic's trade frigate model and light carrier. The only difference between that and what you're suggesting is giving it the trade frigate icon. That would be more confusing for the people actually playing that faction than anything, since they'd now have to track down their carriers, and for the people you're trying to trick, they'd realise that there's enemy ships coming through their system and auto-target the ships anyways.
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

April 29, 2017, 01:00:23 PMReply #5

Offline GreyStar

• Vice Admiral
  • The Rival Defender
    • View Profile
    • Steam Page
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2017, 01:00:23 PM »
True, it was more or less a dumb idea I came up with. A joke idea, funny to think about, but bad to implement.

May 06, 2017, 09:35:49 AMReply #6

Offline Papa Palps

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2017, 09:35:49 AM »
That's basically already what the Quasar is, since the Quasar is both the New Republic's trade frigate model and light carrier. The only difference between that and what you're suggesting is giving it the trade frigate icon. That would be more confusing for the people actually playing that faction than anything, since they'd now have to track down their carriers, and for the people you're trying to trick, they'd realise that there's enemy ships coming through their system and auto-target the ships anyways.

You could always add stealth (invincibility) and invisibility (black texture and trade ship icon). :D
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 09:37:25 AM by Emperor Palpatine »

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!