Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: Damage System Forthcoming Tweak?  (Read 1810 times)

April 08, 2017, 12:37:06 PM

Offline HobbesHurlbut

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +5/-4
    • View Profile
Damage System Forthcoming Tweak?
« on: April 08, 2017, 12:37:06 PM »
It has been brought up that ships will be getting their pulses halved to reduce on FX needs.
Does this mean the damage output will be reduced proportionally?
Will the ships' health amount remain same?-> (example: a small battle can take 5 minutes to resolve, with the tweak it can take 10 minutes or so with same ships)
Antistarfighter ships are not included in the tweak (CR90, IPV-I, Lancer, and Asdroni), are there any other ship that would be exempted from the tweak?

April 08, 2017, 01:14:51 PMReply #1

Offline kucsidave

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +44/-4
  • Don't fear your Demons. Make them fear YOU.
    • View Profile
Re: Damage System Forthcoming Tweak?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2017, 01:14:51 PM »
We don't want to unecessarily draw out the battle time, as it would get really annoying really fast.
Also we are trying to rebalance stuff and nerf some overpowered units too, so the overall output might differ a bit.
sorry if my grammar is wrong sometimes, it is hard when my phone wants to correct every word into hungarian words...
"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster.
And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche

April 08, 2017, 01:24:01 PMReply #2

Offline HobbesHurlbut

• Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2017, 01:24:01 PM »
We don't want to unecessarily draw out the battle time, as it would get really annoying really fast.
Also we are trying to rebalance stuff and nerf some overpowered units too, so the overall output might differ a bit.
sorry if my grammar is wrong sometimes, it is hard when my phone wants to correct every word into hungarian words...
What I meant by that is if you cut down the pulses by much without touching the ships' health and the damage is lowered by same amount for pulses taken away, it would increase the time it take for a ship to down another ship.

That's why I asked if the tweak would also look at the ships health if the damage output is affected.

April 08, 2017, 02:04:14 PMReply #3

Offline kucsidave

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +44/-4
  • Don't fear your Demons. Make them fear YOU.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2017, 02:04:14 PM »
and what I meant just forgot because of the annoyance is that we are going to (we basicly did) increase the damage/pulse so it will stay roughly the same
"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster.
And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche

April 08, 2017, 02:49:06 PMReply #4

Offline briG

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +4/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2017, 02:49:06 PM »
They're going to double the damage of each pulse to compensate. That's why the issue of red lasers doing 1/2 damage of green lasers in the 2.2 demo is there. They just forgot to adjust them accordingly.

April 08, 2017, 03:13:45 PMReply #5

Offline HobbesHurlbut

• Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2017, 03:13:45 PM »
This is interesting. So, after the tweak, the pulse is equivalent roughly to two weapons in the abstract system.

April 08, 2017, 06:10:11 PMReply #6

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2017, 06:10:11 PM »
Yes. 2.2 already had those changes, save for the mistake with the red ones that Brig brought up. While other changes have been and will continue to be made for balance and other design reasons, the reduction in pulses itself should have no real impact on pacing or anything, it's a self-contained stability and graphical change. Anti-fighter weaponry is determined separately, since the amount of projectiles is really more relevant than pretty much any other factor for them.
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!