Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: Which GCs work in multiplayer in 2.1?  (Read 4499 times)

March 21, 2017, 06:00:55 AM

Offline Grand Admiral Rufaan Tigellinus

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +8/-0
  • One of the 13
    • View Profile
Which GCs work in multiplayer in 2.1?
« on: March 21, 2017, 06:00:55 AM »
Hi, I would like to know which GCs specifically work in multiplayer in 2.1, aside from Thrawn's Campaign. I've heard that only few of them do, like 3 or 4, but it would be useful to know exactly which ones. My assumption would be Shadow Hand and Black Fleet Crisis also, as they similarly only include 2 factions, or maybe I'm missing the point? Thank you.
"To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Maybe those nihilist philosophers are right; maybe this is all we can expect of the universe, a relentless crushing of life and spirit, because the equilibrium state of the cosmos is death" - Arthur C. Clarke

"We even ignited the first atomic bomb on the day commemorating the transfiguration of Christ, thus unconsciously signaling that we intended likewise to transform the world, not only after the light but after darkness - with a blast that burned several times hotter than the surface of the sun." - Stanislav Grof, "Human Survival and Consciousness Evolution"

March 21, 2017, 08:37:51 AMReply #1

Offline kucsidave

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +44/-4
  • Don't fear your Demons. Make them fear YOU.
    • View Profile
Re: Which GCs work in multiplayer in 2.1?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 08:37:51 AM »
Hi, I would like to know which GCs specifically work in multiplayer in 2.1, aside from Thrawn's Campaign. I've heard that only few of them do, like 3 or 4, but it would be useful to know exactly which ones. My assumption would be Shadow Hand and Black Fleet Crisis also, as they similarly only include 2 factions, or maybe I'm missing the point? Thank you.
No, your reasoning was almost on point.
Shadow hand really does work, but Black Fleet Crisis does not. The reason is that the Duskhan League is very underdeveloped in 2.1 and lack basic structures and unit types in their rooster.
As for the GCs itself, other than Thrawn and Shadow hand there is one more (if I remember correcly), but which one does not come to my mind, even if I die.
"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster.
And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche

March 21, 2017, 12:29:58 PMReply #2

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 12:29:58 PM »
 The big problem with multiplayer GCs is that they can't use story scripting, which means the era aystem (and therefore any progression in the mod, and the majority of the features we've added) are out the window. So, the few we've done for multiplayer have been those which don't have too much pushed off the build bar. Having more than two factions would mean a lot of autoresolving since the game only allows two players and doesn't let you play out player vs AI matches, but it isn't  why those other maps aren't there.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 01:13:31 PM by Corey »
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

March 21, 2017, 01:34:41 PMReply #3

Offline Grand Admiral Rufaan Tigellinus

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +8/-0
  • One of the 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 01:34:41 PM »
Oh, I see now. Thank you both for your replies. ICW is great regardless of its multiplayer capabilities, I'm not complaining in any way. After all, there's only so much EaW's engine can do.
"To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Maybe those nihilist philosophers are right; maybe this is all we can expect of the universe, a relentless crushing of life and spirit, because the equilibrium state of the cosmos is death" - Arthur C. Clarke

"We even ignited the first atomic bomb on the day commemorating the transfiguration of Christ, thus unconsciously signaling that we intended likewise to transform the world, not only after the light but after darkness - with a blast that burned several times hotter than the surface of the sun." - Stanislav Grof, "Human Survival and Consciousness Evolution"

March 21, 2017, 01:45:23 PMReply #4

Offline hesterj

• Stormtrooper Captain
  • Approval: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 01:45:23 PM »
There should be a smaller MP campaign!  The current ones are too large, maybe something with 5-8 planets. 

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!