Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: Hi there!  (Read 4686 times)

March 20, 2017, 11:47:58 AM

Offline Makenshi

• Recruit
  • Approval: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Hi there!
« on: March 20, 2017, 11:47:58 AM »
My name is Gabe, and I've been absolutely in love with this mod for over a year now. I thought with the looming release of 2.2 I would I finally get involved with the forum. As a introductory question I must ask New Republic players how they counter Super Star Destroyers? I almost exclusively play the Remnant and even then I try to make it a two SSD to one fight.
I'll piece this Empire back together myself if I have to.

The New Order is the first and last bastion of any semblance of reason left in the galaxy. Do not be swayed by this so called "New Republic" they are chaos we are order.

March 20, 2017, 01:28:55 PMReply #1

Offline Bucman55

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +4/-0
  • Come on, boss, when have I ever let you down?
    • View Profile
Re: Hi there!
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 01:28:55 PM »
Welcome to the forums! As a seasoned commander of the Pentastar Alignment and the New Republic, I'd say the best way for the NR to beat SSDs (in my experience) involves using lots of MC80s of various class to take the punishment of the SSDs (Nebulons spread throughout the fleet doesn't hurt either). Bring plenty of corvettes to screen the enemy fighters so you can focus all of your fighters on the SSD. You can also choose the spam route and bring 1.2 million Y-Wing squadrons but that's no fun in my opinion. If they have corvettes, kill them quickly as you need fighter superiority to defeat SSDs. In 2.1, once an SSD's shields go down the hardpoints soon follow. If possible, try to lure the SSD over a planet with an ion cannon. It makes dealing with them so much easier.

March 20, 2017, 02:05:40 PMReply #2

Offline kucsidave

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +44/-4
  • Don't fear your Demons. Make them fear YOU.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 02:05:40 PM »
welcome!
Also, about the SSDs, I made a Guide just for this problem.
Feel free to look at the Strategy & General Discussion on the forums
"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster.
And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche

March 20, 2017, 02:10:27 PMReply #3

Offline Makenshi

• Recruit
  • Approval: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 02:10:27 PM »
Thank you for both answers I largely avoid play as the NR just because of this reason. Now I'll have a plan for play with all the current factions, and it'll be interesting to see how my strategies will evolve with the new factions in 2.2. Looking forward to learning more from all of you guys.
I'll piece this Empire back together myself if I have to.

The New Order is the first and last bastion of any semblance of reason left in the galaxy. Do not be swayed by this so called "New Republic" they are chaos we are order.

March 20, 2017, 03:44:17 PMReply #4

Offline DarthRevansRevenge

• Admiral
  • Approval: +14/-3
  • Your empire is doomed. Revan has returned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 03:44:17 PM »
welcome to the forums. sorry i didn't see this until now
do you know what really makes me mad? that the NR didn't make as many different SSDs as the empire. they would have won much faster had they done so. it's just not fair. but, if their were more NR SSDs, they would be absolute SUPER-CARRIERS.

but, i'm a member of the PA at heart, and my wish here is to join the ranks of grand admirals... sorry, the elite imperial alignment

March 21, 2017, 04:49:31 AMReply #5

Offline Grand Admiral Rufaan Tigellinus

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +8/-0
  • One of the 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 04:49:31 AM »
My name is Gabe, and I've been absolutely in love with this mod for over a year now. I thought with the looming release of 2.2 I would I finally get involved with the forum. As a introductory question I must ask New Republic players how they counter Super Star Destroyers? I almost exclusively play the Remnant and even then I try to make it a two SSD to one fight.

If you enjoy playing as the Remnant, try playing as the Pentastar Alignment, you won't regret it, I promise. Tactics-wise it's almost exactly the same, but it provides you with a slightly different variety of units, and the SSDs are still there.
"To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Maybe those nihilist philosophers are right; maybe this is all we can expect of the universe, a relentless crushing of life and spirit, because the equilibrium state of the cosmos is death" - Arthur C. Clarke

"We even ignited the first atomic bomb on the day commemorating the transfiguration of Christ, thus unconsciously signaling that we intended likewise to transform the world, not only after the light but after darkness - with a blast that burned several times hotter than the surface of the sun." - Stanislav Grof, "Human Survival and Consciousness Evolution"

March 21, 2017, 11:04:16 AMReply #6

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 11:04:16 AM »
agreed
do you know what really makes me mad? that the NR didn't make as many different SSDs as the empire. they would have won much faster had they done so. it's just not fair. but, if their were more NR SSDs, they would be absolute SUPER-CARRIERS.

but, i'm a member of the PA at heart, and my wish here is to join the ranks of grand admirals... sorry, the elite imperial alignment

March 21, 2017, 11:54:55 AMReply #7

Offline the_trots

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +4/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 11:54:55 AM »
If you enjoy playing as the Remnant, try playing as the Pentastar Alignment, you won't regret it, I promise. Tactics-wise it's almost exactly the same, but it provides you with a slightly different variety of units, and the SSDs are still there.

I am an ex NR only player and just spent some time with the PA.  Honestly the IR is far more fun to play.

The PA is OP in space with two free SSD's and unlimited Praetors which are a tougher foe than SSD's in my opinion. 

The PA is OP on ground with Hailfires and LAAT's.

The biggest reason I am not a PA fan is their frigate lineup.  The Enforcer and Munificent do not make up for the loss of the Strike Cruiser and Carrack.

March 21, 2017, 12:46:43 PMReply #8

Offline Revanchist

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +42/-5
  • I am Revan reborn. And before me you are nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 12:46:43 PM »
PA is the most fun in From the Ground Up. You have to survive the endless torrents of SSDs from the NR and IR and the massive fleets of the EotH without SSDs on your side.
"History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

"But...it was so artistically done."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

Member of the Imperial Alignment

March 21, 2017, 01:25:39 PMReply #9

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2017, 01:25:39 PM »
while this is true, right now you get the Praetor in endless amounts like you said, and with 2.2, you get the amazing Bellator in your ranks, plus secutor, Gladiator, and possibly Procursator(i would rather have that for PA then VSD II)

however, are there no SSD build limits in FTGU? because otherwise the NR only gets 3, 1 at a time

March 21, 2017, 01:53:59 PMReply #10

Offline kucsidave

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +44/-4
  • Don't fear your Demons. Make them fear YOU.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2017, 01:53:59 PM »
nope, no matter what build limits you set, the AI only shows a subtle middle finger at it and does it's own thing.
You must love the fleets with 5-6 Viscounts for NR and 5-6 Executors and/or Sovereigns in them :)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 01:55:59 PM by kucsidave »
"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster.
And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche

March 21, 2017, 03:15:06 PMReply #11

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2017, 03:15:06 PM »
gosh darn-it, i wish we could do that. i would love a fleet or armada of 10 viscounts

March 21, 2017, 05:15:36 PMReply #12

Offline Mr.Puerto

• Mod Team Member
  • Admiral
  • Approval: +18/-6
  • Professional Shut in, Steam Name: Mr.puertorican
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2017, 05:15:36 PM »
I rather have a ton of regular ISDIIs than two or three SSDs. While I like the idea of having a SSD as a command and control ship, its a terrible battleship. Yeah it can produce a lot of firepower, but at the end of the day 40,000 credits can be better spent getting however many ISDs instead of one SSD
“In this world, whenever there is light, there are also shadows. As long as the concept of winners exist, there must also be losers. The selfish desire of wanting to maintain peace causes wars and hatred is born to protect love.“

March 21, 2017, 05:16:32 PMReply #13

Offline Mr.Puerto

• Mod Team Member
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2017, 05:16:32 PM »
Also welcome to the forums!
“In this world, whenever there is light, there are also shadows. As long as the concept of winners exist, there must also be losers. The selfish desire of wanting to maintain peace causes wars and hatred is born to protect love.“

March 21, 2017, 06:15:05 PMReply #14

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2017, 06:15:05 PM »
i don't care. with a proper fleet supporting it, an executor is unstoppable

March 22, 2017, 09:49:06 PMReply #15

Offline Mr.Puerto

• Mod Team Member
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2017, 09:49:06 PM »
i don't care. with a proper fleet supporting it, an executor is unstoppable
I can guarantee that is not true... I mean have you seen Return of the Jedi? Plus if you have incompetent Admiral you might as well prepare to lose. 

March 27, 2017, 11:51:07 AMReply #16

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2017, 11:51:07 AM »
i meant with a human commander

March 27, 2017, 09:29:49 PMReply #17

Offline Mr.Puerto

• Mod Team Member
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2017, 09:29:49 PM »
i meant with a human commander
As embarrassing it is to say, I have lost a vengeance, and Sovereign against the AI ( with proper support fleets). Trust me Ion cannon, 200+ stack of units, plus raid fleet will negate a good fleet     

March 28, 2017, 11:28:31 AMReply #18

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2017, 11:28:31 AM »
alright, i'll take your word for it

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!