Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: Star Wars Rebels New episode Spoiler Warning!  (Read 3918 times)

March 18, 2017, 12:18:30 AM

Offline Mr.Puerto

• Mod Team Member
  • Admiral
  • Approval: +18/-6
  • Professional Shut in, Steam Name: Mr.puertorican
    • View Profile
Star Wars Rebels New episode Spoiler Warning!
« on: March 18, 2017, 12:18:30 AM »
Spoiler Warning again just in case you missed it.
I can already tell there will be a lot of complaints about the Obi-Wan vs Maul fight so I'm just going to create a topic, before the general public sees the episode.
I personally liked the fight, quick and simple ending with one strike. Fighting style fit for a warrior or a Samurai, nothing to fancy like the prequels. And with Maul's death goes my biggest complaint about the Clone Wars under Lucas-arts, and Rebels under Lucas-arts. What did you think?
“In this world, whenever there is light, there are also shadows. As long as the concept of winners exist, there must also be losers. The selfish desire of wanting to maintain peace causes wars and hatred is born to protect love.“

March 18, 2017, 06:18:30 PMReply #1

Offline Bucman55

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +4/-0
  • Come on, boss, when have I ever let you down?
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars Rebels New episode Spoiler Warning!
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 06:18:30 PM »
It was very anticlimactic. I personally would have liked it to be a bit longer, with Maul being smarter with his attacks. I actually prefer the fancy stuff but to each their own. I personally didn't see anything wrong with Maul surviving TPM either. People often forget alot of the EU was easily more ridiculous than Maul surviving Naboo.

March 18, 2017, 09:11:35 PMReply #2

Offline Illidan Stormrage

• Admiral
  • Approval: +17/-10
  • Killing a Emperor doesnt end a Empire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 09:11:35 PM »
this was the most overhyped episode and Say what you want about Maul. Maul is one of the best things that makes me able to watch episode 1.
The Duel of Fates is arguably the best thing in the phantom menace.

It honestly just made me sad, but really disappointing and wanting more.
I did like the final conversation because I think that how the fight should end(but after a long drawn out duel)

I just need zero hour to hit home for me.
"The Empire did nothing wrong obviously" :)
"Your Memes will make a fine addition to my collection"
"YOU ARE NOT PREPARED!"

March 18, 2017, 10:59:58 PMReply #3

Offline Revanchist

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +42/-5
  • I am Revan reborn. And before me you are nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 10:59:58 PM »
I don't know. One the one hand, I feel there should have been more. On the other hand, it harkened to a fight along the lines of the samurai battles in Kurosawa films. I liked that Maul tried the same trick he pulled on Qui-Gon, only Kenobi was completely prepared (similar to how on Mustafar Anakin tried to use the same trick Kenobi did against Maul only to get shut down).
"History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

"But...it was so artistically done."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

Member of the Imperial Alignment

March 18, 2017, 11:08:10 PMReply #4

Offline Mr.Puerto

• Mod Team Member
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 11:08:10 PM »
It was very anticlimactic. I personally would have liked it to be a bit longer, with Maul being smarter with his attacks. I actually prefer the fancy stuff but to each their own. I personally didn't see anything wrong with Maul surviving TPM either. People often forget alot of the EU was easily more ridiculous than Maul surviving Naboo.
Yeah I do find EU to have ridiculous things and just not good don't get me wrong, I'm just saying Maul coming back was a bit stupid. Excuse my blasphemy but him, Boba Fett, and Starkiller from TFU are all over rated characters. Maul was only made to be a "cool villain" because of the theme dual of fates. Boba Fett literally did little to nothing and was thrown into a monster's pit due to a blind man randomly waving things. Starkiller was just a poorly written character created to make a quick buck.
“In this world, whenever there is light, there are also shadows. As long as the concept of winners exist, there must also be losers. The selfish desire of wanting to maintain peace causes wars and hatred is born to protect love.“

March 18, 2017, 11:09:53 PMReply #5

Offline Mr.Puerto

• Mod Team Member
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 11:09:53 PM »
I don't know. One the one hand, I feel there should have been more. On the other hand, it harkened to a fight along the lines of the samurai battles in Kurosawa films. I liked that Maul tried the same trick he pulled on Qui-Gon, only Kenobi was completely prepared (similar to how on Mustafar Anakin tried to use the same trick Kenobi did against Maul only to get shut down).
Yeah and also people are forgetting that Obi-Wan had become super powerful due to his training during his exile. Of course he's going to kill Maul in one blow.

March 19, 2017, 02:04:16 AMReply #6

Offline Revanchist

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2017, 02:04:16 AM »
Boba Fett literally did little to nothing and was thrown into a monster's pit due to a blind man randomly waving things.

Well he didn't do nothing. He was the only hunter who made it to Bespin tracking Han, and he had the guts to speak to Vader as an equal. He was quite the fearsome character in Ep V. That was ruined in Ep VI mind you, but Ep VI ruined a lot of stuff.
"History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

Grand Admiral Thrawn

March 19, 2017, 06:52:28 AMReply #7

Offline Grand Admiral Rufaan Tigellinus

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +8/-0
  • One of the 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2017, 06:52:28 AM »
I would say, that although being maybe slightly anticlimactic, the fight was actually much more nuanced than most people have noticed. It was all in the stances preceding the actual "fight". I don't know if anyone noticed that Obi-Wan actually lured Maul into making the mistake he made, by switching his trademark Soresu stance to Qui-Gon's Ataru, leading Maul to the idea that he could defeat him the same way he defeated Qui-Gon, by reverse kicking Kenobi's lightsaber hilt above his chest and then stabbing Kenobi through it. It would've worked with Ataru, but not with the much more defensive Soresu. That was Kenobi's plan all along, and he switched back to Soresu immediately after Maul began his attack. You can actually even see the surprise in Maul's eyes as Kenobi switches to Ataru at first, which then also leads Maul to change his stance, preparing for a reverse kick, hence the shot of his legs. All the camera angles and staring before the actual confrontation was not pointless, there was a whole lot of stuff going on. I had to watch the fight 4 or 5 times before I picked up on all that. And also, as it has been said before, the fight itself, in its swiftness, was reminiscent of old Samurai films. Revanchist was right comparing it to Kurosawa's work. I can't help but think about scenes from Yojimbo, with very similar, lightning fast sword fights. In a way, this fight between Kenobi and Maul is actually much more realistic than most Star Wars lightsaber duels. I generally thoroughly dislike the way Disney are treating Star Wars, but this time I have to admit to myself that they got it spot on.
"To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Maybe those nihilist philosophers are right; maybe this is all we can expect of the universe, a relentless crushing of life and spirit, because the equilibrium state of the cosmos is death" - Arthur C. Clarke

"We even ignited the first atomic bomb on the day commemorating the transfiguration of Christ, thus unconsciously signaling that we intended likewise to transform the world, not only after the light but after darkness - with a blast that burned several times hotter than the surface of the sun." - Stanislav Grof, "Human Survival and Consciousness Evolution"

March 19, 2017, 06:53:34 AMReply #8

• Rear Admiral
  • One of the 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2017, 06:53:34 AM »
Sorry for the long read, lol
"To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Maybe those nihilist philosophers are right; maybe this is all we can expect of the universe, a relentless crushing of life and spirit, because the equilibrium state of the cosmos is death" - Arthur C. Clarke

"We even ignited the first atomic bomb on the day commemorating the transfiguration of Christ, thus unconsciously signaling that we intended likewise to transform the world, not only after the light but after darkness - with a blast that burned several times hotter than the surface of the sun." - Stanislav Grof, "Human Survival and Consciousness Evolution"

March 19, 2017, 07:32:33 AMReply #9

• Rear Admiral
  • One of the 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2017, 07:32:33 AM »
Excuse my blasphemy but him, Boba Fett, and Starkiller from TFU are all over rated characters.

Why all the Boba Fett hate? Calling him overrated is way too harsh, man, come on... You're right about Starkiller though. And Maul, well, he fulfilled his purpose perfectly in TPM, he was always just muscle for Sidious, and that's it. He was never an intellectual and a strong political figure like Dooku, or a promising young "Chosen One" like Vader. Disney have decided to give him a little more personality, by adding more aspects into his game, and IMO have ruined the character somewhat. He was always perfect as a silent cold-blooded assassin, he didn't really need much else. And it was always more interesting to me personally, how he became Sidious's apprentice in the first place. An EU novel Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter, which serves as a prequel to TPM encompasses Maul's personality and role in the SW Universe better than anything Disney have done. And he is much more menacing and dangerous in the EU as well. Maul didn't have to get involved in politics and have ambitions of his own, that just wasn't him. And he should've died in TPM (he is considered dead since TPM in the EU/Legends lore, as far as I know). I'm not even starting on the fact that they took Kenobi's well-earned frag away from him by making Maul survive all that. Justice is served now, I suppose, but still. I would say that Maul wasn't overrated for what he was. But Disney hape overblown his premise and made him into something he was never meant to be. So I'm 50/50 with you on that one.

March 19, 2017, 04:50:49 PMReply #10

Offline Mr.Puerto

• Mod Team Member
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2017, 04:50:49 PM »
Why all the Boba Fett hate? Calling him overrated is way too harsh, man, come on... You're right about Starkiller though. And Maul, well, he fulfilled his purpose perfectly in TPM, he was always just muscle for Sidious, and that's it. He was never an intellectual and a strong political figure like Dooku, or a promising young "Chosen One" like Vader. Disney have decided to give him a little more personality, by adding more aspects into his game, and IMO have ruined the character somewhat. He was always perfect as a silent cold-blooded assassin, he didn't really need much else. And it was always more interesting to me personally, how he became Sidious's apprentice in the first place. An EU novel Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter, which serves as a prequel to TPM encompasses Maul's personality and role in the SW Universe better than anything Disney have done. And he is much more menacing and dangerous in the EU as well. Maul didn't have to get involved in politics and have ambitions of his own, that just wasn't him. And he should've died in TPM (he is considered dead since TPM in the EU/Legends lore, as far as I know). I'm not even starting on the fact that they took Kenobi's well-earned frag away from him by making Maul survive all that. Justice is served now, I suppose, but still. I would say that Maul wasn't overrated for what he was. But Disney hape overblown his premise and made him into something he was never meant to be. So I'm 50/50 with you on that one.
I mean I'm not giving Boba Fett any hate, he's actually one of my favorite characters... If you include all the stuff that's been written about him. If you're just talking about the movies then he's overrated, EP V hypes him up, but EP VI just ruined him lol. But if you include all the comics and books (maybe I think there are books about him haven't read any) Then he's a good character.

March 19, 2017, 04:51:40 PMReply #11

Offline Mr.Puerto

• Mod Team Member
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2017, 04:51:40 PM »
Well he didn't do nothing. He was the only hunter who made it to Bespin tracking Han, and he had the guts to speak to Vader as an equal. He was quite the fearsome character in Ep V. That was ruined in Ep VI mind you, but Ep VI ruined a lot of stuff.
Yeah EP V started his hype train, but then EP VI just crashed it.

March 19, 2017, 05:51:34 PMReply #12

Offline Revanchist

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2017, 05:51:34 PM »
The Bounty Hunter Trilogy is pretty well all about Fett, and really boosts his status.
Grand Admiral Thrawn

Grand Admiral Thrawn

March 19, 2017, 05:58:16 PMReply #13

Offline DarthRevansRevenge

• Admiral
  • Approval: +14/-3
  • Your empire is doomed. Revan has returned
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2017, 05:58:16 PM »
good. i personally liked Boba Fett, but in Star Wars, Legacy of the Force: Bloodline, i find it amusing that he and Han have to work together
do you know what really makes me mad? that the NR didn't make as many different SSDs as the empire. they would have won much faster had they done so. it's just not fair. but, if their were more NR SSDs, they would be absolute SUPER-CARRIERS.

but, i'm a member of the PA at heart, and my wish here is to join the ranks of grand admirals... sorry, the elite imperial alignment

March 20, 2017, 01:14:17 AMReply #14

Offline Ordinarygamer96

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2017, 01:14:17 AM »
The fight was perfect I thought. At this point Maul was sort of looking to die after losing everything he'd ever had. When he realized that Kenobi had held onto a purpose after everything that happened Maul realized the state of his life. I don't believe Maul ever intended to walk away from that fight and if he did I don't think he would have known what to do next. The name twin suns has a lot of symbolism. In a way Maul and Kenobi were brothers as well as enemies. They'd both lost everything because of the sith. Notice when Maul said "he will avenge US". Maul at that point let his personal hatred of Kenobi go. He was hoping Kenobi would succeed with Luke. I thought the symbolism of the episode and the intricacies of their final discussion was amazing. We didn't need a big fight. Kenobi at that point was so in tune with the force just a few years later he could become a force ghost. He was much more powerful than Maul ever was. He gave maul a quick death and answered his final question out of respect for what he knew Maul had gone through in his life. I truly though it was an amazing end for Maul. His final words showed simultaneously that he had made peace in a way with Kenobi but had not been fully redeemed because of his wish to be avenged. I know this episode wasn't as exciting as it was hyped up to be but as art and a piece of star wars lore it was amazing

March 21, 2017, 05:39:38 PMReply #15

Offline DarthRevansRevenge

• Admiral
  • Approval: +14/-3
  • Your empire is doomed. Revan has returned
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2017, 05:39:38 PM »
i do like that there was no long climactic battle at the end, it's maul Goading Kenobi, both ignite all the lightsabers, and three strikes and it's done. i feel that with Maul, it was over for him, and at the end, there was no hate between the two, and Maul passed peacefully.
do you know what really makes me mad? that the NR didn't make as many different SSDs as the empire. they would have won much faster had they done so. it's just not fair. but, if their were more NR SSDs, they would be absolute SUPER-CARRIERS.

but, i'm a member of the PA at heart, and my wish here is to join the ranks of grand admirals... sorry, the elite imperial alignment

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!