Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: IPV-I and CR90 Corellian Corvette  (Read 2760 times)

March 13, 2017, 04:41:24 PM

Offline HobbesHurlbut

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +5/-4
    • View Profile
IPV-I and CR90 Corellian Corvette
« on: March 13, 2017, 04:41:24 PM »
I'm wondering what's the point of those two ships especially with the laser cannon loadout they have?

For the New Republic, most of their ships carry starfighters that are of a good quality. Several of their ships have some laser cannons also. Instead of 2 dual turbolaser turrets and 4 turbolaser cannons, you have this 30/6 dual laser cannon loadout for CR90?

PA has Enforcer Picket Cruiser, though for some reason having 2/2 Quad Laser Cannon instead of 10?
IPV-1 doesn't have hyperdrive and is usually armed with 4 turbolasers and a launcher. So what's with the nutty loadout of 60/6 dual laser cannons on her? If there's need for an anti-starfighter corvette, wouldn't bringing back Tartan make better sense? She carried less laser cannons (single rather than Quad) than Lancer, has a slower hyperdrive so her cost in material would be less than that of the Lancer. She has a smaller crew too, saving on manpower concerns for the PA.

March 13, 2017, 06:02:35 PMReply #1

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
Re: IPV-I and CR90 Corellian Corvette
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 06:02:35 PM »
They have those two loadouts so they can have a point to begin with.

While other ships have some laser cannons, they don't have anything else which can be a dedicated anti-fighter ship. The CR90's oadout according to Incredible Cross-Sections was various turbolasers, but that's not consistently maintained in other source material, and that would be worse than useless in the mod. A ship that small with that little anti-ship weaponry wouldn't be worth building at all, especially since it would then be awful against fighters, too. Several different configurations are mentioned in various places, and one of those configurations includes six laser cannon turrets. We went with that one, since it's the only one that actually makes the ship useful in EaW.

The IPVs in the mod are modified in the same way, for the same reason. The Tartan specifically isn't used because it's not really mentioned anywhere other than EaW, and its inclusion in EaW was basically because they modeled a Carrack poorly and decided to rename it rather than remodel it; the code even names it as such. The PA was a late addition to 2.0 made with the resources we had available at the time; once we're able to, we're putting in various other small craft to serve as anti-fighter ships for the factions that currently use the (modified) IPV, which was one of the most common ships available for the Empire, and therefore post-Imperial groups (and modified by us for the same reason we used that specific CR90 loadout).
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 06:27:09 PM by Corey »
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

March 13, 2017, 07:27:17 PMReply #2

Offline HobbesHurlbut

• Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 07:27:17 PM »
Hrm well, if the /6 is the number of "batteries" or turrets...would it be more thematically correct to have the 30 reduced to 24 for four laser cannons per turret? Or I can start to like the idea of quintuple laser cannon batteries :laugh: .

March 13, 2017, 07:36:39 PMReply #3

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 07:36:39 PM »
The meaning of those numbers is explained in the manual:

Thrawn’s Revenge uses a representative system to assign appropriate weapons to different units and balance them according to, where possible, their canonical armament.  The basis of this system is that, for any given ship or weapon-type, a single instance of that weapon counts as one pulse from a hardpoint.  So, for example, if a ship canonically has sixty turbolasers, we could give it six hardpoints each firing ten pulses, or twelve hardpoints each firing five pulses, etc.
In this manual the armament of a ship is displayed in the form of Total Pulses/Number of Hardpoints for each type of weapon it possesses.

In 2.2, this number gets divided again by 2 (or 3, depending on how far we have to go) to accommodate the EaW selection freeze bug. With anti-fighter ships, though, the divisor is the only one which matters; the numerator is entirely decided by what's necessary to be effective.

would it be more thematically correct to have the 30 reduced to 24 for four laser cannons per turret? Or I can start to like the idea of quintuple laser cannon batteries

If it says, like the CR90 does, that it has  30/6 Dual Laser Cannons, then the 30/6 (or 5 pulses per hardpoint) is already taking into account that it's a dual laser cannon. It's 5 pulses of dual lasers, not two paired ones and one solo.
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

March 13, 2017, 07:46:52 PMReply #4

Offline HobbesHurlbut

• Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 07:46:52 PM »
The meaning of those numbers is explained in the manual:

In 2.2, this number gets divided again by 2 (or 3, depending on how far we have to go) to accommodate the EaW selection freeze bug. With anti-fighter ships, though, the divisor is the only one which matters; the numerator is entirely decided by what's necessary to be effective.

If it says, like the CR90 does, that it has  30/6 Dual Laser Cannons, then the 30/6 (or 5 pulses per hardpoint) is already taking into account that it's a dual laser cannon. It's 5 pulses of dual lasers, not two paired ones and one solo.
Ya know...I would like if someone did actually commissioned an art piece of this 'gattling' Laser gunboat variant of the CR90 XD.

So IPV-1 has 10 pulses per hardpoint? That's...how efficient is that?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 07:49:49 PM by HobbesHurlbut »

March 14, 2017, 02:42:44 PMReply #5

Offline Slornie

• Mod Team Member
  • Moff
  • Approval: +54/-13
  • Every Silver Lining has a Cloud
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 02:42:44 PM »
Everything not fighter/anti-fighter got decent representations of their canon armaments within reason and available knowledge.  Fighters/anti-fighter armament largely operate in their own little world which doesn't necessarily correlate with anything else.  We'll probably take another look at things before release though.
Quote from: RonMaverick291 (Gametrailers)
why do u hate america? if it were not for us u guys would be lost. i mean we invented the tv, we invented the internet, cars and we even went to the planet moon. we won all the wars and we always help the little countries who cant fight and we give food to poor people.

March 14, 2017, 03:19:53 PMReply #6

Offline HobbesHurlbut

• Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 03:19:53 PM »
Well I mean, is having 10 pulses from one hardpoint mean a better chance of having any of them hitting something than 5 pulses from one hardpoint? It's a lot of laser flack in airspace!  :laugh:

March 15, 2017, 12:51:29 AMReply #7

Offline Octavian Krieger

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2017, 12:51:29 AM »
I like the extra laser, looks pretty
"The New Order cannot fall, it will not fall."

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!