Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: Feedback  (Read 5430 times)

February 09, 2017, 09:58:28 AM

Offline avnas

• Stormtrooper
  • Approval: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Feedback
« on: February 09, 2017, 09:58:28 AM »
Hi there, i've been trying out the latest version of the alpha of this mod. i have developed some observations on the mod so far about things which could be improved.

i have currently only played the imperial remnant faction, so my feedback is based on that.

1) allegiance class is too dark. i don't know if it's meant to be black, but it'll be nicer with imperial class star destroyers in the same colour scheme.

2) unit icons are far too large. i understand that you want to display a lot of information but they are far too blocky.

3) the planet icons should be reverted to standard sins. while i understand you guys want to make it your own

4) putting colour into icons will improve usability, having grey-scaled icons makes them harder to discern

4) the bridge for the superlaser dreadnought looks unfinished, while the mod is WIP i understand this, but it'd be nice to see it replaced with a standard imperial bridge rather than like a horn-looking thing. i'd also suggest modifying the model's front to make it less blocky. it'd be nice to also have the multiple-beamed laser like on the death star, though i suppose this is impossible in-engine. i also don't remember hearing the superlaser sound, so that's another thing to consider.

5) gas giants could be colonisable using a starbase, and upgraded by adding stabases. since bespin is a gas giant it only makes sense that you should be able to colonise them, and use them to collect extra tibanna gas - since this is what bespin produces. each starbase adds one of every type of upgrade to the planet, since it's adding one "cloud city"

_____

on other factions:

empire of the hand seems to need something juicy. while they can't use superweapons or titans, i'd suggest a "bismarck" style super-battleship which is the middle point between disney's kylo star destroyer and an imperial star destroyer 1 - the idea being that a small ship has the weapons to deal with any foe, fitting with the glass cannon idea. ironically the only thing wrong with this probably IS canon.

pentastar is a fun idea with older equpiment, i love the inclusion of the lacrechulk. i'm not really familiar with pentastar's equipment in legends canon, but the variety of equipment in this faction makes it more fun than if it was either CIS or imperial alone.

____

on capital ships: other mods really fail on getting the imperial fleet to look right. the inclusion of victory cruisers as cruisers and imperial star destroyers in slightly better numbers makes the fleets look  more real.

_______

i probably had more suggestions for you, but that's probably the most glaring things i think need attention that i've seen.

February 09, 2017, 10:12:25 AMReply #1

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
Re: Feedback
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 10:12:25 AM »
1) allegiance class is too dark. i don't know if it's meant to be black, but it'll be nicer with imperial class star destroyers in the same colour scheme.

The tangent maps were having issues, so shadows rendered backwards. It's been fixed, and we've also shown the updated model.

2) unit icons are far too large. i understand that you want to display a lot of information but they are far too blocky.

It's not that we want to show a lot of information, it's that stuff in Star Wars tends to be similar shapes within a faction, so we have to add extra pips to at least have some differentaiation between triangle number 1 and triangle number 37.

3) the planet icons should be reverted to standard sins. while i understand you guys want to make it your own
We have redone them ourselves since the version you're playing. You can see the new ones here.

4) the bridge for the superlaser dreadnought looks unfinished, while the mod is WIP i understand this, but it'd be nice to see it replaced with a standard imperial bridge rather than like a horn-looking thing. i'd also suggest modifying the model's front to make it less blocky. it'd be nice to also have the multiple-beamed laser like on the death star, though i suppose this is impossible in-engine. i also don't remember hearing the superlaser sound, so that's another thing to consider.

We didn't make that design ourselves; it doesn't have a standard Imperial bridge, and the superlaser it has doesn't have the same dish that the Executor had, so it doesn't have the multi-beam. As far as it being blocky, we have to work within certain memory constraints with the game, meaning we only have so many polies we can reasonably work with.

5) gas giants could be colonisable using a starbase, and upgraded by adding stabases. since bespin is a gas giant it only makes sense that you should be able to colonise them, and use them to collect extra tibanna gas - since this is what bespin produces. each starbase adds one of every type of upgrade to the planet, since it's adding one "cloud city"

Gas giants can already have starbases built on them, and they can/do have resource extractors on them. Making them colonizeable just makes them less distinct from other planets and gives them a tax base, which isn't really what they're there for.

empire of the hand seems to need something juicy. while they can't use superweapons or titans, i'd suggest a "bismarck" style super-battleship which is the middle point between disney's kylo star destroyer and an imperial star destroyer 1 - the idea being that a small ship has the weapons to deal with any foe, fitting with the glass cannon idea. ironically the only thing wrong with this probably IS canon.

The Intego already fills that space as a tank, and at 2200 metersish (the Phalanx is 1800-1900ish), it does fit into that size class as well. Resurgent (Kylo's SD) is 3000 meters, an ISD is 1600.
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

February 09, 2017, 11:00:39 AMReply #2

Offline avnas

• Stormtrooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 11:00:39 AM »

We didn't make that design ourselves; it doesn't have a standard Imperial bridge, and the superlaser it has doesn't have the same dish that the Executor had, so it doesn't have the multi-beam. As far as it being blocky, we have to work within certain memory constraints with the game, meaning we only have so many polies we can reasonably work with.

i'm not a modeller, but i believe i've seen that model before. if i could splice the models together and give it a more detailed bridge would you guys want/use that?

The Intego already fills that space as a tank, and at 2200 metersish (the Phalanx is 1800-1900ish), it does fit into that size class as well. Resurgent (Kylo's SD) is 3000 meters, an ISD is 1600.

have you guys considered actually adding in a new order faction? since canon is shot at this point anyway it'd just be a different flavour of empire. they'd probably be the high-tech "bleeding edge" empire, with lower ship counts but bigger superweapons and ships, and more khyber weapons - but since it's bleeding edge tech it all costs a lot more than the other factions, leading to a very slow start. - basically the opposite of pentastar
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 11:05:24 AM by avnas »

February 09, 2017, 11:04:02 AMReply #3

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
  • Approval: +56/-9
  • Don't turn around you moron, ATTACK!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 11:04:02 AM »
The mod team wants to stay in the EU, and avoid disney-verse canon.
People should not be afraid of their government...governments should be afraid of their people.

February 09, 2017, 11:06:32 AMReply #4

Offline avnas

• Stormtrooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2017, 11:06:32 AM »
yes, but why can't you include the faction as a 'nod' like thrawn is in disney's star wars: rebels? thrawn is still legends, but he's also in disney canon to some extent, like bane is .

SW7 actually still makes some sense in legends canon if you ignore jaina never existing amongst other things. pentastar can pretty much even sue for peace in this mod, as well - which is what parts of the empire did in disney canon. even luke's jedi order went to shit at the end of jedi search, which is where kylo's character came from. the new order is just another warlord faction previously unmentioned. the truth is that disney and JJ more specifically are too inept to take into account developed canon. hence kelvin and jar jar timeline

my point is that you can fit disney into the EU without too much retconning, especially for the purpose of a mod. and if you didn't want to include it you could disable the faction.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 11:12:21 AM by avnas »

February 09, 2017, 11:13:29 AMReply #5

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
  • Approval: +56/-9
  • Don't turn around you moron, ATTACK!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2017, 11:13:29 AM »
Not that they can't, but why would they?  1/2 the available factions are already IR or splinter factions, the Warlords are represented in random events.  There's no point in having even MORE IR splinter stuff in the game.  It's already well represented, and to put more in would just be pointless, IMO.  I want space dinosaurs, not more Imperial splinters!!
People should not be afraid of their government...governments should be afraid of their people.

February 09, 2017, 11:18:13 AMReply #6

Offline avnas

• Stormtrooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2017, 11:18:13 AM »
fair enough. on a different note, republic would be nice in this mod, even if it makes basicly no sense - since the venator is constantly referred to as a cruiser.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 11:20:52 AM by avnas »

February 09, 2017, 11:38:11 AMReply #7

Offline GreyStar

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +11/-4
  • The Rival Defender
    • View Profile
    • Steam Page
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2017, 11:38:11 AM »
The Pennastar Alignment is the closest to the Republic. Weakened compared to the Clone Wars, but still with a focus on hangars and slamming quality but not extremely good fighters. Since 6-squads = Imperial / Republic wing. 3-squads = New Republic wing.

February 09, 2017, 12:40:45 PMReply #8

Offline DarthRevansRevenge

• Admiral
  • Approval: +14/-3
  • Your empire is doomed. Revan has returned
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2017, 12:40:45 PM »
agreed
do you know what really makes me mad? that the NR didn't make as many different SSDs as the empire. they would have won much faster had they done so. it's just not fair. but, if their were more NR SSDs, they would be absolute SUPER-CARRIERS.

but, i'm a member of the PA at heart, and my wish here is to join the ranks of grand admirals... sorry, the elite imperial alignment

February 09, 2017, 03:18:34 PMReply #9

Offline Revanchist

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +42/-5
  • I am Revan reborn. And before me you are nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2017, 03:18:34 PM »
I want space dinosaurs!!

This cannot be emphasized enough.
"History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

"But...it was so artistically done."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

Member of the Imperial Alignment

February 09, 2017, 03:34:38 PMReply #10

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2017, 03:34:38 PM »
i'm not a modeller, but i believe i've seen that model before. if i could splice the models together and give it a more detailed bridge would you guys want/use that?

That's not what I meant; we made our Sovereign model, but we didn't design the ship. If we wanted the Sovereign to have that kind of bridge, we could do it ourselves, but the Sovereign didn't have that bridge style. Adding more detail on the bridge means more polies, which is a bad idea on this game engine.

Gonna address the lore stuff first:
have you guys considered actually adding in a new order faction? since canon is shot at this point anyway it'd just be a different flavour of empire.
 yes, but why can't you include the faction as a 'nod' like thrawn is in disney's star wars: rebels? thrawn is still legends, but he's also in disney canon to some extent, like bane is .

SW7 actually still makes some sense in legends canon if you ignore jaina never existing amongst other things. pentastar can pretty much even sue for peace in this mod, as well - which is what parts of the empire did in disney canon. even luke's jedi order went to shit at the end of jedi search, which is where kylo's character came from. the new order is just another warlord faction previously unmentioned. the truth is that disney and JJ more specifically are too inept to take into account developed canon. hence kelvin and jar jar timeline

If by canon being shot you mean the Expanded Universe, it's not shot, it's just finished. Plenty of series never get the same level of development as the EU got, and them not expanding it more doesn't mean what was there isn't there anymore. The fact that the Stargate universe hasn't received any new content for a long time and any attempts to expand it have been shelved doesn't make what's there any less valid.

Fitting the new Disney canon into the EU would require huge retconning. None of it matches at all. Even just taking Ep 7 and ignoring the new books, Rebels, etc, you're completely ignoring the EU character arcs of Luke, Han, Leia, Jacen, Jaina, Ben, Mara and Chewie. Chewie's busy being dead at that point in the EU, Han's definitely not being dead, Leia's not approaching being dead like she probably is for episode IX, Luke hadn't spent the entire end of the Galactic Civil War and Vong War in exile. Not to mention every other character. Jedi Order setup is completely different, New Republic and Empire's development are completely different.

Now, for the First Order as just a gameplay thing:

have you guys considered actually adding in a new order faction? since canon is shot at this point anyway it'd just be a different flavour of empire. they'd probably be the high-tech "bleeding edge" empire, with lower ship counts but bigger superweapons and ships, and more khyber weapons - but since it's bleeding edge tech it all costs a lot more than the other factions, leading to a very slow start. - basically the opposite of pentastar

I've bolded thekey part here; the First Order doesn't bring anything new to the table other than some people might see "First Order" and think "ermagerd kewl" for no other reason than it's the First Order, and that's not a sufficient reason for us to make it. There's plenty of stuff we could expand on within Legends canon that gives us more options for different gameplay styles and units than a third Imperial faction does. The only new stuff we could do with the First Order is the Resurgent class, a new shuttle, and a TIE Fighter. The new canon simply isn't developed enough, and their playstyle would be basically just the Empire. Why go for that when there's things like the Vong, Ssi-Ruuvi, or Hapans that we have the opportunity to explore further?

republic would be nice in this mod, even if it makes basicly no sense - since the venator is constantly referred to as a cruiser.

The Republic and CIS wouldn't fit in with the other factions. Their best ships are the cruisers of other factions (or their weakest capital ships as far as combat goes, in the case of the Lucrehulk). They'd be at such a disadvantage the only way to balance them would be allowing them to just build tonnes more ships, which would cause hoprrible lag. If the CIS and Republic were to be in the mod, they'd be far better off standalone as a separate Clone Wars mod, for both balance and resource purposes, but we have no plans of taking on another huge project like that at this point.

I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

February 09, 2017, 08:32:31 PMReply #11

Offline DarthRevansRevenge

• Admiral
  • Approval: +14/-3
  • Your empire is doomed. Revan has returned
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2017, 08:32:31 PM »
yes, all this i can agree with.
Why go for that when there's things like the Vong, Ssi-Ruuvi, or Hapans that we have the opportunity to explore further?

is this a hint for faction 6?
do you know what really makes me mad? that the NR didn't make as many different SSDs as the empire. they would have won much faster had they done so. it's just not fair. but, if their were more NR SSDs, they would be absolute SUPER-CARRIERS.

but, i'm a member of the PA at heart, and my wish here is to join the ranks of grand admirals... sorry, the elite imperial alignment

February 19, 2017, 01:13:25 PMReply #12

Offline Papa Palps

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2017, 01:13:25 PM »
The tangent maps were having issues, so shadows rendered backwards. It's been fixed, and we've also shown the updated model.

It's not that we want to show a lot of information, it's that stuff in Star Wars tends to be similar shapes within a faction, so we have to add extra pips to at least have some differentaiation between triangle number 1 and triangle number 37.
We have redone them ourselves since the version you're playing. You can see the new ones here.

Please, please, please keep the old U.I., not this.  Or give us an option to choose from when downloading.  It was so well done, I just loved it.

yes, all this i can agree with.
is this a hint for faction 6?

Datamine! :D
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 01:16:20 PM by Emperor Palpatine »

February 19, 2017, 01:56:04 PMReply #13

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2017, 01:56:04 PM »
We have no intention or desire to maintain two separate UIs. We strongly prefer this one, and it's not simply a matter of letting people pick one of the two. Having that option means that any time we add or change a unit, a tech, a planet type, and especially a faction, we're making all of those changes in two places.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 04:32:25 PM by Corey »

February 22, 2017, 07:33:02 PMReply #14

Offline Papa Palps

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2017, 07:33:02 PM »
We have no intention or desire to maintain two separate UIs. We strongly prefer this one, and it's not simply a matter of letting people pick one of the two. Having that option means that any time we add or change a unit, a tech, a planet type, and especially a faction, we're making all of those changes in two places.

Understood, makes sense.

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!