Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: Nebula Shields  (Read 5191 times)

February 06, 2017, 10:34:08 PM

Offline the_trots

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +4/-3
    • View Profile
Nebula Shields
« on: February 06, 2017, 10:34:08 PM »
Is there any plans to adjust the Nebula in 2.2?  It's in game, apparent shield replenish rate is horrible, much slower than Mon Cals and ISD's.  Maybe it is coded differently, but this has been my observation.  Quite a shame as the model is beautiful and it packs quite a punch.

Please don't view this as a complaint.  I am very thankful for all the unpaid work done to create this great mod.   :)

February 07, 2017, 01:59:23 AMReply #1

Offline kucsidave

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +44/-4
  • Don't fear your Demons. Make them fear YOU.
    • View Profile
Re: Nebula Shields
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 01:59:23 AM »
Yes, they actually have only a third of what the mon cals have. Thanks for bringing this up, we will take a look on it.
"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster.
And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche

February 07, 2017, 09:53:06 AMReply #2

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 09:53:06 AM »
It's intentional, they're meant to be glass cannons considering they're pretty much the best at everything else.
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

February 07, 2017, 11:00:53 AMReply #3

Offline DarthRevansRevenge

• Admiral
  • Approval: +14/-3
  • Your empire is doomed. Revan has returned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 11:00:53 AM »
makes sense. can't have the NR be all-powerful when the IR losses the SSDs
do you know what really makes me mad? that the NR didn't make as many different SSDs as the empire. they would have won much faster had they done so. it's just not fair. but, if their were more NR SSDs, they would be absolute SUPER-CARRIERS.

but, i'm a member of the PA at heart, and my wish here is to join the ranks of grand admirals... sorry, the elite imperial alignment

February 26, 2017, 01:46:22 PMReply #4

Offline the_trots

• Brevet Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 01:46:22 PM »
Yes, they actually have only a third of what the mon cals have. Thanks for bringing this up, we will take a look on it.

Thank you for the polite reply.
It's intentional, they're meant to be glass cannons considering they're pretty much the best at everything else.

Well, not the answer I was hoping for, but I can understand the reason.

February 26, 2017, 02:12:33 PMReply #5

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 02:12:33 PM »
well, this makes the Tector-Lancer-Venator fleets really effective, compared to if the Nebula class had mon-cal level shields
do you know what really makes me mad? that the NR didn't make as many different SSDs as the empire. they would have won much faster had they done so. it's just not fair. but, if their were more NR SSDs, they would be absolute SUPER-CARRIERS.

but, i'm a member of the PA at heart, and my wish here is to join the ranks of grand admirals... sorry, the elite imperial alignment

February 26, 2017, 11:33:36 PMReply #6

Offline the_trots

• Brevet Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2017, 11:33:36 PM »
well, this makes the Tector-Lancer-Venator fleets really effective, compared to if the Nebula class had mon-cal level shields

Absolutely.

Perhaps the NR used the wrong lessons with the designs of the New Class.  Each one has serious flaws not present in the Alliance/Mon Cal ships they were meant to replace. 

February 28, 2017, 05:44:24 PMReply #7

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2017, 05:44:24 PM »
well, you still get the mon-cals, so no worry

March 01, 2017, 11:25:02 AMReply #8

Offline Revanchist

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +42/-5
  • I am Revan reborn. And before me you are nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2017, 11:25:02 AM »
Absolutely.

Perhaps the NR used the wrong lessons with the designs of the New Class.  Each one has serious flaws not present in the Alliance/Mon Cal ships they were meant to replace.

Well when the Rebellion was forming they didn't have the luxury of ships with roles. Their ships had to do everything, and the Mon Cal line as well as ships like the Dauntless and Assault Frigate Mk. 1 illustrate that well. They do decent damage, have a decent fighter complement, and are pretty survivable. However, they don't entirely excel at anything. No huge strengths or weaknesses. The New Class project was a shift to a more varied military structure: now ships have more discreet roles, making them excel in certain aspects but weak in others. Individually the ships may seem worse in some ways, but by the time of the New Class the New Republic wouldn't be throwing small groups of ships around, they would be hurling fleets at the problem, and as a fleet the New Class was superior.
"History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

"But...it was so artistically done."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

Member of the Imperial Alignment

March 06, 2017, 01:21:42 AMReply #9

Offline the_trots

• Brevet Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2017, 01:21:42 AM »
Well when the Rebellion was forming they didn't have the luxury of ships with roles. Their ships had to do everything, and the Mon Cal line as well as ships like the Dauntless and Assault Frigate Mk. 1 illustrate that well. They do decent damage, have a decent fighter complement, and are pretty survivable. However, they don't entirely excel at anything. No huge strengths or weaknesses. The New Class project was a shift to a more varied military structure: now ships have more discreet roles, making them excel in certain aspects but weak in others. Individually the ships may seem worse in some ways, but by the time of the New Class the New Republic wouldn't be throwing small groups of ships around, they would be hurling fleets at the problem, and as a fleet the New Class was superior.

well, you still get the mon-cals, so no worry

Individually, the New Class ships fare poor in combat compared to their predecessors, at least in my games.

The Sacheen is not good at anything.  Even in groups it cannot survive an encounter with most frigates, and it's armament is very ineffective against fighters.  The DP20 has the same problem, but the CR90 is the best anti-fighter ship in the game, absolutely fantastic at it's job.

The Corona is not much better.  Barely fires its weapons.  There is no room in my fleet for a ship that won't fight back.  The only thing it excels at is causing enemy missiles to endlessly circle it.  The Nebulons it replaced, although somewhat weak in the armament department, will at least shoot back.

The Nebula is a badass ship, but a line of Nebulas will start to drop like flies in a prolonged fight.  The MC90, although not as heavily armed, is still equipped with enough punch to take the fight to the Imperials, and can take a beating like a capital ship should.

The Endurance has the same poor shield refresh as the Nebula, and should release more fighters for its 7 population value.  Not that the Quasar Fire was a brick shithouse, but it was not 7 pop either.

I do not know if the Bothan Assault Cruiser is considered a New Class ship, but if it is, it is the only one without a huge flaw.  Fast, durable for a frigate, and heavily armed. 

March 06, 2017, 11:02:56 AMReply #10

Offline Helix345

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +8/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2017, 11:02:56 AM »
the corona carries really good fighters, The sacheen is useless, and the endurance provides an endless supply of fighters.

March 10, 2017, 06:29:07 PMReply #11

Offline HobbesHurlbut

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +5/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2017, 06:29:07 PM »
Absolutely.

Not sure about that, according to the fluff the Nebula is designed to defeat any Star Destroyer and has defenses strong enough to resist the smaller SSDs. Republic is said to be more efficient compared to the Imperial I Class SD and has 20% more firepower than that Class. Nebula is said to outclass the Republic (and most other ships in the galaxy) in shield system and hull armor. That give you a rough idea of what strength her shield and hull have.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 06:32:34 PM by HobbesHurlbut »

March 10, 2017, 07:57:34 PMReply #12

Offline Ordo

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2017, 07:57:34 PM »
Not sure about that, according to the fluff the Nebula is designed to defeat any Star Destroyer and has defenses strong enough to resist the smaller SSDs. Republic is said to be more efficient compared to the Imperial I Class SD and has 20% more firepower than that Class. Nebula is said to outclass the Republic (and most other ships in the galaxy) in shield system and hull armor. That give you a rough idea of what strength her shield and hull have.
Problem with that is that NR is already very strong in the  last 2 eras. You can't just have Nebula be so powerful (eventhough accurately) without severely hampering the balance.

March 10, 2017, 09:29:27 PMReply #13

Offline the_trots

• Brevet Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2017, 09:29:27 PM »
Problem with that is that NR is already very strong in the  last 2 eras. You can't just have Nebula be so powerful (eventhough accurately) without severely hampering the balance.

I personally wouldn't mind a more accurate Nebula.  It would be a challenge for other factions and help offset the dumb AI.  Maybe a counter to the OP Praetor?

But this game is made for a wide range of players and a desire for balance is understandable.

March 10, 2017, 09:32:41 PMReply #14

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2017, 09:32:41 PM »
not quite so much with Megador/Dominion + Knight Hammer, Reaper, and potentially Guardian + better fighter to spice things up in that era.

also, leftover Praetors are ALWAYS a pain

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!