Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: The effectiveness of torture (Split from Depression)  (Read 8395 times)

January 25, 2017, 10:12:22 PM

Offline Pali

• Tester
  • Admiral
  • Approval: +39/-2
    • View Profile
The effectiveness of torture (Split from Depression)
« on: January 25, 2017, 10:12:22 PM »
however if it comes down to torturing one to save hundreds, and we have no other options of gathering information, then it sounds reasonable.

It certainly sounds reasonable, but the problem is that few will check to see if the premises are valid, rather than simply the logic being sound.  They aren't.  First, these sort of ticking time bomb situations simply almost never happen in reality (I'm aware of none); they happen all the time in fiction, which leads to confusion in people's perception.  Second, while torture is fantastic at getting people to talk, it is terrible at obtaining reliable intelligence that can then be acted upon (again, something confused by fiction, where most of the time it quickly provides useful info).

With neither premise valid, as a logical argument this fails.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 04:38:11 PM by Slornie »

January 25, 2017, 10:50:57 PMReply #1

Offline Helix345

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +8/-3
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Depression
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 10:50:57 PM »
while it is true that nobody ever says "I tortured a person for information on a soon to happen terrorist attack", I have a feeling that is due to it being considered unethical by the general public. furthermore, I would assume that actions were taken to prevent the attack before it happens, thus making it so that information about said attack is never heard by the general populace, if we are going through logically.

Second, if torture were as unreliable as you said then logically, we would have stopped using it thousands of years ago. instead you will find that almost every civilization has been using it (secretly or otherwise) up to the present day. This logically means that it presents at least somewhat viable information. Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately) I don't know much about the nuances of torture (nor do I want to), but I assume that there are ways to discern true and false information.

While I'm fine with debating this, I would prefer that we do so on a different thread.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 10:52:52 PM by Helix345 »

January 25, 2017, 11:20:38 PMReply #2

Offline Mr.Puerto

• Mod Team Member
  • Admiral
  • Approval: +18/-6
  • Professional Shut in, Steam Name: Mr.puertorican
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 11:20:38 PM »
I'm going to let you do this Mr.Puerto, because I feel you're better suited to the task. I just don't want him to hate his family. Family is the foundation you can rely on in tough times. If you hate your family, you are left with very little. There is constant yelling and arguments in my family, but I still love them, and I know that I can rely on them whenever I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. My parents raised me with their love and care, much like I'm sure your family raised you greystar. Please don't hate them over a difference of opinion.
Like I said I love all inputs, we both want the same thing, we just have different ways of expressing it.
“In this world, whenever there is light, there are also shadows. As long as the concept of winners exist, there must also be losers. The selfish desire of wanting to maintain peace causes wars and hatred is born to protect love.“

January 25, 2017, 11:22:44 PMReply #3

Offline Mr.Puerto

• Mod Team Member
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 11:22:44 PM »
You're right. Me and my dad are having a dispute of ethics and government ideology. Parts of my family are so far gone I'm glad I have my dad's last name instead of my mom as it's not emberassing to be related to them, it's shameful for how they operate. My dad may be hard headed and stupid at times but his heart's in the right place. The other parts of my family. Borderline sociopaths. This was a stress based over reaction. The depression was already there but this just worsened it for a night. Thanks for helping me through it guys, really means a lot.
Are we living the same life?! haha my mom's side of the family can be well crazy putting it lightly. I feel like we could have similar situations, so if you ever need advise just send me a PM I'll be willing to help.
“In this world, whenever there is light, there are also shadows. As long as the concept of winners exist, there must also be losers. The selfish desire of wanting to maintain peace causes wars and hatred is born to protect love.“

January 25, 2017, 11:26:00 PMReply #4

Offline Mr.Puerto

• Mod Team Member
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2017, 11:26:00 PM »
If we continue the torture talk on a different page, I won't be involved since my knowledge of that subject is far from being able to debate people. Let me say this though, the CIA has stated they won't do it again, because its ineffective and a PR disaster, and the best interrogators are always the ones who talk to the person, not just screw with them to no end 

January 25, 2017, 11:34:55 PMReply #5

Offline Pali

• Tester
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2017, 11:34:55 PM »
None of our torture of Guantanamo subjects gave us actionable Intel - you can bet that having done so would've been used by the Bush administration as justification for what were already-known policies.  We've stopped a good number through normal, reliable means of intelligence gathering: wiretapping, tracking movements and activities, undercover agents, building community relations, etc.

Much of the reason societies stopped using it was that they started realizing how unreliable it was; Stephen Pinker's book The Better Angels of Our Nature recounts a European noble (the name escapes me) who, to test torture's reliability, committed a crime himself and then tortured one of his servants into a confession - this convinced him it was unreliable and he outlawed torture in his territory afterwards.  The problem isn't that the torture victim won't tell the truth, because eventually they will - the problem is separating that from everything else they are telling you in their desperation to make it stop.

What you are doing is making a type of argument ad populum - lots of people did it for a long time, so there must be something to it.  This is a logical fallacy, as how many people believe something has nothing to do with its truth value.  People have spent thousands of years praying for rain, but that doesn't make it work.

You are welcome to not take my word for it and actually research the topic: you will find broad agreement among experts.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 11:38:28 PM by Pali »

January 26, 2017, 09:30:13 AMReply #6

Offline Helix345

• Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2017, 09:30:13 AM »
Now, I never said I condone torture. I also never said that american torture works. However, I will say that the gestapo's torture worked. If you want to hear more read this. https://www.quora.com/Does-torture-work-2

January 26, 2017, 03:50:30 PMReply #7

Offline Pali

• Tester
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2017, 03:50:30 PM »
A single un-cited post on an internet forum isn't much evidence of something working - he doesn't cite any examples of information gleaned through torture, he just says it worked (again: it works in getting people to talk, it doesn't work in terms of providing reliable information - plenty of people ended up being falsely believed to be part of the French resistance and were picked up because their names were given by torture victims).  The second answer in your link actually provides citations for its claims that torture is unreliable.

January 26, 2017, 03:55:54 PMReply #8

Offline Helix345

• Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
The effectiveness of torture for the purpose of obtaining information
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2017, 03:55:54 PM »
Continuing my discussion with Pali, after searching the internet for a little bit before realizing that I hadn't done my accounting homework, that was all I could find in terms of non american torture methods. So either other countries leave torture undocumented, or I didn't dig deep enough.

"In other words, there is no way a terrorist can lie to get the techniques to stop. The only way to stop the techniques is to tell the truth. And once terrorists began telling the truth, the techniques stopped and traditional debriefing techniques were employed — leading to an intelligence bonanza from which the Obama administration continues to benefit today." (Marc Thiessen)

This is from the Washington post, which could be considered a reliable source by some standards. This isn't exactly in support of torture, however it does point out something that I didn't think about.
here's a link
 https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-partisan/post/on-waterboarding-lets-stick-to-the-facts/2011/11/15/gIQAHHiiON_blog.html?utm_term=.6b1642b7e7ea

Here's something from an actual historian.
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2009/05/13/how-torture-helped-win-wwii.html
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 04:19:53 PM by Helix345 »

January 26, 2017, 04:36:01 PMReply #9

Offline Slornie

• Mod Team Member
  • Moff
  • Approval: +54/-13
  • Every Silver Lining has a Cloud
    • View Profile
"In other words, there is no way a terrorist can lie to get the techniques to stop. The only way to stop the techniques is to tell the truth. And once terrorists began telling the truth, the techniques stopped and traditional debriefing techniques were employed — leading to an intelligence bonanza from which the Obama administration continues to benefit today." (Marc Thiessen)
There's no guarantee that telling the truth will stop the torture either because that also relies on the person doing the torturing believing that what they have been told is the truth.  And if that truth doesn't line up with that the torturer thinks or wants the truth to be then they'll just keep on going until the victim resorts to lies that does satisfy the torturer.
Quote from: RonMaverick291 (Gametrailers)
why do u hate america? if it were not for us u guys would be lost. i mean we invented the tv, we invented the internet, cars and we even went to the planet moon. we won all the wars and we always help the little countries who cant fight and we give food to poor people.

January 26, 2017, 04:58:08 PMReply #10

Offline Helix345

• Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: The effectiveness of torture (Split from Depression)
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2017, 04:58:08 PM »
It's true that would happen if misinformation was used, but if we assume that the information used in conjunction is reliable, then the torturing tactic is also reliable. In hindsight, if we have misinformation, that means other types of data collection have failed.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 05:03:58 PM by Helix345 »

January 26, 2017, 05:21:06 PMReply #11

Offline Pali

• Tester
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
The Post article you cite isn't a news article but an opinion piece, written by Bush's former speechwriter - this is not an unbiased source (nor are Panetta and Hayden, who Thiessen cites).  Even if it were, it does not claim that such techniques were used to gain intelligence, but compliance.  I've never argued that a torture victim won't usually end up doing what the torturer wanted them to do, but this is hardly the ticking time-bomb style case that you viewed as possibly justified.  This is systematic torture across the board in hopes that it will one day provide something useful, not a specific case where time was essential. (Edit: he also specifically cites information gained by torture as useful in killing bin Laden, but as the following article in the NYTimes documents, the Senate Select Committee found that the info was gained from a man named Ghul before he was tortured: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/12/08/world/does-torture-work-the-cias-claims-and-what-the-committee-found.html - essentially, as this article shows, the CIA under Bush spent years lying about the usefulness of its torture programs).

Roberts claims in the Daily Beast article that the 19 double agents employed by Britain were tortured into doing so.  I've not found a single other source to corroborate this claim (notably, he claims no evidence, just that one would be naive to think that they were talked into it).  On the contrary, the stories I've found thus far regarding three of them - Juan Pujol Garcia, Roman Czerniawski and Dusko Popov (Google their names, you'll get Wikipedia articles on them) - are all stories of people who quite voluntarily became British spies against the Nazis.

Here is a book written by the Intelligence Science Board on interrogation techniques and their efficacy: https://fas.org/irp/dni/educing.pdf

As it notes, part of what makes coming to an absolute conclusion here tricky is that we don't have a lot of good science on the subject, since we don't torture people in lab experiments anymore.  Still, there remain ways to test techniques somewhat indirectly, such as the following example from the book above:

"Under conditions that simulate an intelligence interrogation, indirect strategies for eliciting information (i.e., acquiring information through interaction by means other than asking for it directly) may be more effective than direct, high- pressure techniques. In one of the few open-source studies on the effectiveness of military “resistance training,” 58 cadets at the Royal Norwegian Naval Academy were subjected to a simulated prisoner-of-war exercise. Some had received a pre-training experiential exercise in resisting interrogation, others were given only a pre-training lecture. Perhaps of greatest interest is that the use of indirect interrogation techniques significantly reduced the amount of “prisoner” communication confined to name, rank, military number, and date of birth (from 24% to 0% in the lecture group and from 61% to 5% in the experiential pre- training group). More importantly, the indirect strategy (as opposed to a direct one) also increased the percentage of compromising statements revealed by the "prisoners” from 22% to 37% in the lecture group and from 0% to 15% in the experiential pre-training group (Laberg, Eid, Johnsen, Eriksen, and Zachariassen, 2000)."

In short, indirect, non-coercive methods were more effective at getting accurate information.

Edit: it is also worth noting that there are significant downsides to using torture, not the least of which is diminishing our national image around the world.  The way we treated detainees at Gitmo has been used as a recruitment tool by anti-American groups in the Middle East, adding to our number of enemies.  To use torture is to abandon the moral high ground in a conflict.

Edit 2: if other types of data collection have failed, torture is not going to provide the useful bit of missing Intel.  Everything gained through torture is going to need corroboration from more reliable means of Intel gathering, and if those means are already available to be used in a situation, then the torture becomes redundant rather than necessary.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 05:50:58 PM by Pali »

January 26, 2017, 06:35:32 PMReply #12

Offline DarthRevansRevenge

• Admiral
  • Approval: +14/-3
  • Your empire is doomed. Revan has returned
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2017, 06:35:32 PM »
my goodness..... a whole debate on the effectiveness of torture? may i ask why? i just avoid using torture period
do you know what really makes me mad? that the NR didn't make as many different SSDs as the empire. they would have won much faster had they done so. it's just not fair. but, if their were more NR SSDs, they would be absolute SUPER-CARRIERS.

but, i'm a member of the PA at heart, and my wish here is to join the ranks of grand admirals... sorry, the elite imperial alignment

January 26, 2017, 06:38:30 PMReply #13

Offline Helix345

• Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2017, 06:38:30 PM »
Edit: it is also worth noting that there are significant downsides to using torture, not the least of which is diminishing our national image around the world.  The way we treated detainees at Gitmo has been used as a recruitment tool by anti-American groups in the Middle East, adding to our number of enemies.  To use torture is to abandon the moral high ground in a conflict.

Before I begin, I'm going to remind you, I never said I agreed with torture or that we should do it.

Second, I never said "ticking time bomb", I said "torture 1 to save hundreds". The attack we are trying to stop could be in early preparation years from now, which then means that conditioning the subject is a viable option.

https://fas.org/irp/dni/educing.pdf
I really like this source and may use it for future school projects.

my goodness..... a whole debate on the effectiveness of torture? may i ask why? i just avoid using torture period

I would be very worried if you tortured people revan.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 06:45:32 PM by Helix345 »

January 26, 2017, 07:05:40 PMReply #14

Offline Pali

• Tester
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2017, 07:05:40 PM »
Second, I never said "ticking time bomb", I said "torture 1 to save hundreds". The attack we are trying to stop could be in early preparation years from now, which then means that conditioning the subject is a viable option.

Fair point, yet for conditioning over time torture remains less effective than indirect means of inducing cooperation.  In the end, the Intel needs to be useful whether you are getting it for ten minutes or ten years from now, and anything gained from a subject that is telling you what it thinks you want to hear is going to be unreliable.  Open, honest cooperation is far more valuable.

I really like this source and may use it for future school projects.

Happy to be of service. :) For the record, I recognized from the start that you were arguing Devil's Advocate-style, so at no point have I thought you were personally advocating torture.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 07:08:57 PM by Pali »

January 26, 2017, 07:10:40 PMReply #15

Offline Helix345

• Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2017, 07:10:40 PM »
Fair point, yet for conditioning over time torture remains less effective than indirect means of inducing cooperation.  In the end, the Intel needs to be useful whether you are getting it for ten minutes or ten years from now, and anything gained from a subject that is telling you what it thinks you want to hear is going to be unreliable.  Open, honest cooperation is far more valuable.
I feel that "open, honest cooperation" can be extremely difficult, if not impossible to come across for some subjects. I could be wrong of course, as I didn't fully read the pdf which could have some viable contradictions to this.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 07:14:47 PM by Helix345 »

January 26, 2017, 07:23:37 PMReply #16

Offline Pali

• Tester
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2017, 07:23:37 PM »
I feel that "open, honest cooperation" can be extremely difficult, if not impossible to come across for some subjects. I could be wrong of course, as I didn't fully read the pdf which could have some viable contradictions to this.

Oh, it certainly can be.  Sometimes a subject is simply going to largely be a dead-end as far as extracting useful information goes.  This doesn't make torture into a reliable alternative method of inducing cooperation, however.  Sometimes we are just stuck not having good information to work with and have to accept that.

January 26, 2017, 07:28:06 PMReply #17

Offline Helix345

• Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2017, 07:28:06 PM »
the process of getting a dead-end subject to talk through torture sounds far more reasonable than being nice to him.

January 26, 2017, 07:44:16 PMReply #18

Offline Pali

• Tester
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2017, 07:44:16 PM »
the process of getting a dead-end subject to talk through torture sounds far more reasonable than being nice to him.

It sounds so, which is why people do it, but it isn't actually the case.  Torture, in the end, is likely to produce one of two results: either you break the subject's resistance to the point where they will tell you whatever they think you want to hear, or it strengthens their resistance and they dig in, accepting the pain until it kills them.  The latter is clearly useless, and while you are likely to get the truth somewhere in the former, it is going to be mixed in with tons of useless or incorrect information, all of which you'll then have to spend time and effort attempting to verify through other means - means which themselves are sufficient, making the torture unnecessary at best and a waste of time and resources as you chase false leads at worst.

It is worth keeping in mind that most terrorists don't think of themselves as evil - they think of us as evil, which is why their acts against us are justified.  When you capture one and torture him, you are reinforcing that viewpoint.  When you instead treat him well, spend time talking with him about yourself and types of experiences you and he share, you instead are showing him that you are human too, that maybe you aren't as evil as he'd been taught, and that maybe what he was doing wasn't as justified as he thought it was.

Consider Hitler's miscalculation in the Battle of Britain - he thought that bombing English cities would devastate the citizenry's willingness to fight.  Instead, it made them even more dedicated to the war.  Hurting someone is not a reliable way to gain their cooperation.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 07:53:03 PM by Pali »

January 26, 2017, 07:56:42 PMReply #19

Offline Helix345

• Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2017, 07:56:42 PM »
I concede

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!