Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: Depression  (Read 3668 times)

January 25, 2017, 08:09:57 PM

Offline GreyStar

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +11/-4
  • The Rival Defender
    • View Profile
    • Steam Page
Depression
« on: January 25, 2017, 08:09:57 PM »
Well, my dad says FOX News is good and torture is a good idea.

As a devout Christian... I am literally almost suicidally depressed because my father is condoning torture. Not to mention half of my family (which is large, somewhere in the 40 number range of people) I hate with an absolute passion now so.

If I seem to be less active in taking care of the wiki and posting, it's because of this.

And, let's use this thread (if it survives) to try and help other people (not me, I have my own other online support network whose helped me through other episodes in the past) deal with their depression.

January 25, 2017, 08:44:39 PMReply #1

Offline Helix345

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +8/-3
    • View Profile
Re: Depression
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 08:44:39 PM »
So your'e depressed because somebody sees the world differently than you? From a roman catholic to a devote christian, you should keep with your beliefs as much as you can, but you should refrain from forcing your beliefs upon others. I don't watch fox news and don't know what they're political biased is towards, but keep in mind your news channel is also biased. I also doubt your father thinks torture is "good", but rather he believes that it is necessary, and I'm going to take a shot in the dark and say you guys were discussing Guantanamo bay. If you are truly depressed, then I'm sorry, but even family members have differing opinions and you need to get over it. 

And please don't commit suicide, as that is a terrible sin in both of our religions, and I would hate to lose an active forum goer who makes me feel that I can have an intelligent conversation. I'm sure that you have plenty to look forward to, no matter how old you are.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 08:54:26 PM by Helix345 »

January 25, 2017, 08:56:01 PMReply #2

Offline Mr.Puerto

• Mod Team Member
  • Admiral
  • Approval: +18/-6
  • Professional Shut in, Steam Name: Mr.puertorican
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 08:56:01 PM »
I'm not going to be as harsh as Helix here, but I do agree with him. I think the beauty of this world is different opinions and different ways of handling all sorts of issues, and part of being an adult is realizing this and look past a person's opinions and love them for who they are not for what they believe. Also its your family you should try to get along with them, even if they have different viewpoints, believe me I am dealing with different opinions from my family right now. Of course if there are other reasons to stay away from family members that's okay too. If you are depressed please seek help other than an online support network it could help. If you want I could go more in-depth into way people like the idea of torture, and way people like CNN or FOX news over non-biased sources. In the end you should look at different opinions as a wonderful thing, not something to get depressed about.
“In this world, whenever there is light, there are also shadows. As long as the concept of winners exist, there must also be losers. The selfish desire of wanting to maintain peace causes wars and hatred is born to protect love.“

January 25, 2017, 09:04:37 PMReply #3

Offline Helix345

• Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 09:04:37 PM »
I'm not going to be as harsh as Helix here,
I apologize if I came off as harsh, I didn't mean too and I honestly just talk like that. Please don't let it offend you in any way. I wasn't trying to be condescending or anything. 

January 25, 2017, 09:11:36 PMReply #4

Offline GreyStar

• Vice Admiral
  • The Rival Defender
    • View Profile
    • Steam Page
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2017, 09:11:36 PM »
Well you're right about the FOX part, but it's unthinkable to see a man who has been so pious and close to church ideology saying that torture is morally justified. It's my own father, and that's a lot to deal with.

January 25, 2017, 09:15:20 PMReply #5

Offline Helix345

• Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2017, 09:15:20 PM »
Again, I'm not trying to be condescending, but you do realize that torture has been used for thousands of years by every civilization as a way to gather information, and to punish people. This includes the catholic church, puritans, and the Anglicans. I feel that being devout does not prevent or change that, and torture can be used to gather information to save the lives of many people. I won't condone torture for no reason, as that is just sick and wrong, and people who do that need help, however if it comes down to torturing one to save hundreds, and we have no other options of gathering information, then it sounds reasonable.

I don't want to change your opinion, but I want to show that there IS reasoning behind people's support of it. 
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 09:18:55 PM by Helix345 »

January 25, 2017, 09:45:05 PMReply #6

Offline Mr.Puerto

• Mod Team Member
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2017, 09:45:05 PM »
I apologize if I came off as harsh, I didn't mean too and I honestly just talk like that. Please don't let it offend you in any way. I wasn't trying to be condescending or anything.
Oh no I didn't mean in an angered tone I also talk like that lol, but sometimes you just gotta be light in the language you deliver things, cause someone might take it the wrong way and end up getting worked up over a misunderstanding.
“In this world, whenever there is light, there are also shadows. As long as the concept of winners exist, there must also be losers. The selfish desire of wanting to maintain peace causes wars and hatred is born to protect love.“

January 25, 2017, 09:47:24 PMReply #7

Offline Mr.Puerto

• Mod Team Member
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2017, 09:47:24 PM »
Well you're right about the FOX part, but it's unthinkable to see a man who has been so pious and close to church ideology saying that torture is morally justified. It's my own father, and that's a lot to deal with.
I'm not going to bashing on religion or anything here so please don't take it that way. Sometimes the closest followers of a religion tend to not follow the beliefs of their own faith. Its strange I know but that's just how it happens in history.

January 25, 2017, 09:49:03 PMReply #8

Offline GreyStar

• Vice Admiral
  • The Rival Defender
    • View Profile
    • Steam Page
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2017, 09:49:03 PM »
You have a point about torture it's just that my father told me to value empathy above all else, and seeing his morals do a complete 180 was very, very stressful. Mind you I'm just a kid who lives with his parents so it's not like I just called him up and this happened.

January 25, 2017, 09:52:01 PMReply #9

Offline Helix345

• Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2017, 09:52:01 PM »
I'm going to let you do this Mr.Puerto, because I feel you're better suited to the task. I just don't want him to hate his family. Family is the foundation you can rely on in tough times. If you hate your family, you are left with very little. There is constant yelling and arguments in my family, but I still love them, and I know that I can rely on them whenever I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. My parents raised me with their love and care, much like I'm sure your family raised you greystar. Please don't hate them over a difference of opinion.

January 25, 2017, 09:58:12 PMReply #10

Offline GreyStar

• Vice Admiral
  • The Rival Defender
    • View Profile
    • Steam Page
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2017, 09:58:12 PM »
You're right. Me and my dad are having a dispute of ethics and government ideology. Parts of my family are so far gone I'm glad I have my dad's last name instead of my mom as it's not emberassing to be related to them, it's shameful for how they operate. My dad may be hard headed and stupid at times but his heart's in the right place. The other parts of my family. Borderline sociopaths. This was a stress based over reaction. The depression was already there but this just worsened it for a night. Thanks for helping me through it guys, really means a lot.

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!