Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: Stealth Star Destroyers  (Read 4447 times)

January 17, 2017, 01:12:07 PM

Offline GreyStar

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +11/-4
  • The Rival Defender
    • View Profile
    • Steam Page
Stealth Star Destroyers
« on: January 17, 2017, 01:12:07 PM »
I was reading through the Dev Dairies and updates for Imperial Civil War, and noticed that the idea for Peallon in Era 5 would be a focus on preybirds and other such TIE like but upgraded Starfighters, alongside every ship of his using stealth devices, including Star Destroyers. Did he actually use such?

January 17, 2017, 01:20:08 PMReply #1

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
Re: Stealth Star Destroyers
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 01:20:08 PM »
A good portion of the Hand of Thrawn duology talks about cloaking and the Empire's use of it in that timeframe. I think the opening scene of Specter of the Past may even be a test of some tech related to it (a computer system to help fix some of the communication issues related to it) but it's been so long since I've read those books I may not be remembering the order correctly.
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

January 17, 2017, 01:33:50 PMReply #2

Offline GreyStar

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +11/-4
  • The Rival Defender
    • View Profile
    • Steam Page
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 01:33:50 PM »
Right, the sytingiam crystals had long run out and the Empire's new supply of them when they blew up a planet full of them were destroyed when the Executor carrying all the TIE Phantoms was destroyed. Before the Phantoms they had developed a cheaper more easily mass produced stealth field generator but it suffered from double blindness.

January 17, 2017, 03:45:32 PMReply #3

Offline Pali

• Tester
  • Admiral
  • Approval: +39/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 03:45:32 PM »
A good portion of the Hand of Thrawn duology talks about cloaking and the Empire's use of it in that timeframe. I think the opening scene of Specter of the Past may even be a test of some tech related to it (a computer system to help fix some of the communication issues related to it) but it's been so long since I've read those books I may not be remembering the order correctly.

Specifically, it was a test of a computer targeting system that was intended to predict the movements of other ships well enough to allow a Star Destroyer to cloak and still fire with a degree of accuracy.  At the time it was written, all Star Wars cloaking devices caused double-blindness, largely because Zahn invented the rules for them in the original Thrawn trilogy (which were later retconned because other authors wanted non-blinding cloaks like Star Trek's).

January 17, 2017, 04:31:22 PMReply #4

Offline DarthRevansRevenge

• Admiral
  • Approval: +14/-3
  • Your empire is doomed. Revan has returned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 04:31:22 PM »
yay, but again, the old crystal tech that made the ship go invisible or the kind that made the double blind bubble field, different tech, different results
do you know what really makes me mad? that the NR didn't make as many different SSDs as the empire. they would have won much faster had they done so. it's just not fair. but, if their were more NR SSDs, they would be absolute SUPER-CARRIERS.

but, i'm a member of the PA at heart, and my wish here is to join the ranks of grand admirals... sorry, the elite imperial alignment

January 17, 2017, 04:33:27 PMReply #5

Offline Revanchist

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +42/-5
  • I am Revan reborn. And before me you are nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 04:33:27 PM »
yay, but again, the old crystal tech that made the ship go invisible or the kind that made the double blind bubble field, different tech, different results

I'm pretty sure the only reason we have 2 different cloak types is because of writer inconsistency. Though I must say it was one of the better retcons that they've done.
"History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

"But...it was so artistically done."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

Member of the Imperial Alignment

January 19, 2017, 05:28:16 PMReply #6

Offline Pali

• Tester
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 05:28:16 PM »
I actually preferred Star Wars sticking to double-blind cloaks as it made them distinct from Star Trek's.  Edit: It also made sense - you are bending incoming light around your ship, so how would it ever actually reach your ship's sensors?  Star Trek gets around this by using subspace sensors, but Star Wars sensors are never described as such.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 05:36:11 PM by Pali »

January 19, 2017, 06:45:31 PMReply #7

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
  • Approval: +56/-9
  • Don't turn around you moron, ATTACK!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2017, 06:45:31 PM »
I actually preferred Star Wars sticking to double-blind cloaks as it made them distinct from Star Trek's.  Edit: It also made sense - you are bending incoming light around your ship, so how would it ever actually reach your ship's sensors?  Star Trek gets around this by using subspace sensors, but Star Wars sensors are never described as such.

Although Trek also once had double blind.  In TOS, when they introduced the Romulans for the first time, the cloaks were double blind.
People should not be afraid of their government...governments should be afraid of their people.

January 19, 2017, 10:01:01 PMReply #8

Offline Pali

• Tester
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2017, 10:01:01 PM »
Although Trek also once had double blind.  In TOS, when they introduced the Romulans for the first time, the cloaks were double blind.

They weren't truly double-blind; the Romulans could detect the Enterprise and navigate around stellar phenomena (a comet in particular).  It definitely seemed to limit the Romulan sensors significantly, so that both ships were reading each other imprecisely through "motion sensors", but it wasn't the absolute blindness a Star Wars cloak created.

And as you say, this was the episode they were introduced; just about every appearance of the cloak later has this weakness negated significantly, though "primary sensors" (likely an active mode rather than passive) aren't used while cloaked as they'd reveal the ship.

January 20, 2017, 03:43:51 AMReply #9

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2017, 03:43:51 AM »
You can't really blame the Romulans for starting with double-blinded ones though. The fact that they got a cardboard ship into space in the first place is impressive on its own.
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

January 20, 2017, 04:22:26 AMReply #10

Offline Pali

• Tester
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2017, 04:22:26 AM »
An invisible cardboard ship. ;)

January 20, 2017, 10:19:35 AMReply #11

Offline Revanchist

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +42/-5
  • I am Revan reborn. And before me you are nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2017, 10:19:35 AM »
An invisible cardboard ship. ;)

Who knows, there could be invisible cardboard ships all around us right now.
"History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

"But...it was so artistically done."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

Member of the Imperial Alignment

January 20, 2017, 11:00:10 AMReply #12

Offline DarthRevansRevenge

• Admiral
  • Approval: +14/-3
  • Your empire is doomed. Revan has returned
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2017, 11:00:10 AM »
this is not a drill!!! fire at the flying cardboards before Washington falls!!!!!! :):):):):):):):):):):)
do you know what really makes me mad? that the NR didn't make as many different SSDs as the empire. they would have won much faster had they done so. it's just not fair. but, if their were more NR SSDs, they would be absolute SUPER-CARRIERS.

but, i'm a member of the PA at heart, and my wish here is to join the ranks of grand admirals... sorry, the elite imperial alignment

January 20, 2017, 04:36:49 PMReply #13

Offline Pali

• Tester
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2017, 04:36:49 PM »
Who knows, there could be invisible cardboard ships all around us right now.

And teapots floating around the sun. ;)

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!