Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: New Player Questions  (Read 2366 times)

January 01, 2017, 10:41:21 PM

Offline ScottishViking

• Recruit
  • Approval: +0/-0
    • View Profile
New Player Questions
« on: January 01, 2017, 10:41:21 PM »
Hey guys,

Longtime STA3 player here who has been directed here by that group. Congratulations on the ModDB nom! Awesome news.

Looking for a reco on faction that would fit my playstyle. I tend to play long, drawn-out, defensive games on huge maps. I tend to seize chokepoints and erect impenetrable defenses and push out from there. So my preference has always been to use Sins factions that have the toughest/strongest starbases and defensive structures.

Based on this info, which faction would you recommend? My secondary preference is for cap-heavy fleets with minimal subcap micromanagement, if that helps.

Thanks, and looking forward to the mod!

January 02, 2017, 02:39:18 AMReply #1

Offline Papa Palps

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +2/-0
    • View Profile
Re: New Player Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 02:39:18 AM »
Hey guys,

Longtime STA3 player here who has been directed here by that group. Congratulations on the ModDB nom! Awesome news.

Looking for a reco on faction that would fit my playstyle. I tend to play long, drawn-out, defensive games on huge maps. I tend to seize chokepoints and erect impenetrable defenses and push out from there. So my preference has always been to use Sins factions that have the toughest/strongest starbases and defensive structures.

Based on this info, which faction would you recommend? My secondary preference is for cap-heavy fleets with minimal subcap micromanagement, if that helps.

Thanks, and looking forward to the mod!

Based on what you have said, the New Republic is definitely the way to go.  Two of their researches, Improved Generators and Shielding, increase the maximum shield points by 30% and increase the shield restore rate by 30%.  This helps defense platforms and starbases out a lot.  Another two of their abilities, Democracy's Messengers and Inspire, add up to increase damage by 45% in friendly culture.  This is obviously a huge boost when defending friendly planets as long as culture is maintained.  The New Republic space station (star base) also has an ability which restores fighter supply and hull points to nearby ships and structures, which is very helpful when defending as well.  One tip with planetary defense: you get far more power building Golan Is over Golan IIIs in terms of DPS/health versus tactical capacity.  This is when resources aren't factored in.  When they are, the benefit is less, but still very noticeable.  Of course, it will take longer to build 41 Golan Is versus building 8 Golan IIIs and the leftover Golan II and I (about 4 minutes versus 2 minutes).  I hope this helps!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 12:36:45 PM by JoshuaTedder »

January 02, 2017, 11:39:53 AMReply #2

Offline ScottishViking

• Recruit
  • Approval: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 11:39:53 AM »
Thank you very much, this is very helpful.

January 02, 2017, 12:04:08 PMReply #3

Offline Papa Palps

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 12:04:08 PM »
Thank you very much, this is very helpful.

You're welcome!

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!