Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: Rogue One thoughts! (No spoilers) (now with spoilers)  (Read 11019 times)

December 16, 2016, 01:18:03 AM

Offline Mr.Puerto

• Mod Team Member
  • Admiral
  • Approval: +18/-6
  • Professional Shut in, Steam Name: Mr.puertorican
    • View Profile
Rogue One thoughts! (No spoilers) (now with spoilers)
« on: December 16, 2016, 01:18:03 AM »
I have just seen Rogue One, easily the best Star Wars film to date, script was amazing, actors were very good, the special effects were out of this world. The only thing that I would have to say that needed improvement was the slow beginning other than that 10/10 film.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 12:13:03 PM by Slornie »
“In this world, whenever there is light, there are also shadows. As long as the concept of winners exist, there must also be losers. The selfish desire of wanting to maintain peace causes wars and hatred is born to protect love.“

December 16, 2016, 07:38:19 AMReply #1

Offline Illidan Stormrage

• Admiral
  • Approval: +17/-10
  • Killing a Emperor doesnt end a Empire
    • View Profile
Re: Rouge One thoughts! (No spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 07:38:19 AM »
I have just seen Rouge One, easily the best Star Wars film to date, script was amazing, actors were very good, the special effects were out of this world. The only thing that I would have to say that needed improvement was the slow beginning other than that 10/10 film.
Disaster to me , I mean come on.
Good: the Imperials, Act 3 battle sequence, New Storm troopers, The idea that the rebels due terrible things. Director Orson Krenic
Bad: Everything else
"The Empire did nothing wrong obviously" :)
"Your Memes will make a fine addition to my collection"
"YOU ARE NOT PREPARED!"

December 16, 2016, 11:15:23 AMReply #2

Offline Mr.Puerto

• Mod Team Member
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2016, 11:15:23 AM »
Good: the Imperials, Act 3 battle sequence, New Storm troopers, The idea that the rebels due terrible things. Director Orson Krenic
Disaster to you? I think you're part of that group that tears everything apart that Disney does with stars wars because they purchased the rights from George Lucas. In my opinion George lucas couldn't of created such a well done master piece in his life time.
“In this world, whenever there is light, there are also shadows. As long as the concept of winners exist, there must also be losers. The selfish desire of wanting to maintain peace causes wars and hatred is born to protect love.“

December 16, 2016, 11:24:19 AMReply #3

Offline Mr.Puerto

• Mod Team Member
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2016, 11:24:19 AM »
Let me ask you a better question. What did you want to see?

December 16, 2016, 04:12:54 PMReply #4

Offline Revanchist

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +42/-5
  • I am Revan reborn. And before me you are nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2016, 04:12:54 PM »
"History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

"But...it was so artistically done."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

Member of the Imperial Alignment

December 16, 2016, 05:15:09 PMReply #5

Offline Mr.Puerto

• Mod Team Member
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2016, 05:15:09 PM »

LOL, I'm dying! I guess that's what happens after traveling all day without sleep! I'll fix it now, thanks for pointing it out though, saves me from future embrassment.

December 19, 2016, 12:56:18 AMReply #6

Offline Mist

• Recruit
  • Approval: +1/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Rogue One thoughts! (No spoilers)
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2016, 12:56:18 AM »
It was great I'd say. Not the best by a longshot but still up there. It does a fantastic job as a side story and I loved seeing the good ole empire and rebels going at it. But HOLY FUCK those poor rebel bastards at the end got fucked. Had shivers at that scene.

December 19, 2016, 04:25:28 PMReply #7

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
  • Approval: +134/-14
  • Nothing shall withstand my ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2016, 04:25:28 PM »
Meh, I'd say 3 out of 5. Was better than the force awakens by a long shot. It had some interesting characters and some relatively decent special effects but ultimately suffers from it's execution and story.
The Director is utterly pointless as a character, many actions of characters in the film make little to no sense and while they toe the line of the Rebels doing some morally ambiguous things they don't explore it or develop it.
Good things were the amazing job they did on the facial reconstructions of Tarkin and Leia and the overall feel of the Empire dominated galaxy.
"I do not intend to be the Emperor's servant forever..."-High Inquisitor Jerec

"The New Order has never fallen. Only the Emperor."-Grand Moff Ardus Kaine

December 21, 2016, 01:58:07 AMReply #8

Offline Pali

• Tester
  • Admiral
  • Approval: +39/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2016, 01:58:07 AM »
I'm with Mr. Puerto - I loved it.  I definitely think Empire is still the best Star Wars film, but I'd put Rogue One at least on par with RotJ, possibly with ANH.  It was a bit slow to start off, but once it kicked into gear... damn.  9/10 from me.  Empire remains the only 10/10 of the series.

December 21, 2016, 11:35:39 PMReply #9

Offline Mr.Puerto

• Mod Team Member
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2016, 11:35:39 PM »
Meh, I'd say 3 out of 5. Was better than the force awakens by a long shot. It had some interesting characters and some relatively decent special effects but ultimately suffers from it's execution and story.
The Director is utterly pointless as a character, many actions of characters in the film make little to no sense and while they toe the line of the Rebels doing some morally ambiguous things they don't explore it or develop it.
Good things were the amazing job they did on the facial reconstructions of Tarkin and Leia and the overall feel of the Empire dominated galaxy.
That's fair and respectable, at least you're not hating on it because its "Disney" (even though it really isn't entirely them)

December 21, 2016, 11:36:56 PMReply #10

Offline Mr.Puerto

• Mod Team Member
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2016, 11:36:56 PM »
I'm with Mr. Puerto - I loved it.  I definitely think Empire is still the best Star Wars film, but I'd put Rogue One at least on par with RotJ, possibly with ANH.  It was a bit slow to start off, but once it kicked into gear... damn.  9/10 from me.  Empire remains the only 10/10 of the series.
I do agree with the fact that the start was slow, now that I have given it time, I do think the start should've been tested around a little bit more.

December 21, 2016, 11:37:48 PMReply #11

Offline Mr.Puerto

• Mod Team Member
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2016, 11:37:48 PM »
It was great I'd say. Not the best by a longshot but still up there. It does a fantastic job as a side story and I loved seeing the good ole empire and rebels going at it. But HOLY FUCK those poor rebel bastards at the end got fucked. Had shivers at that scene.
Minor Spoilers, but YEAH THAT WAS THE BEST MOVIE SCENE THIS YEAR BY FAR

December 22, 2016, 01:29:47 PMReply #12

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2016, 01:29:47 PM »
That's fair and respectable, at least you're not hating on it because its "Disney" (even though it really isn't entirely them)

I try and review a film based on it's strengths and weaknesses. If a film is good, even if I hate who made it's policy decisions, I give props to the actors, story visuals etc. However if one is bad, I'm just as surgical with it's flaws.
As a certain Rightful king once said, "A good act does not wash out the bad, nor a bad the good." Both deserve acknowledgment and their own reward and condemnation.

December 22, 2016, 04:53:50 PMReply #13

Offline Slornie

• Mod Team Member
  • Moff
  • Approval: +54/-13
  • Every Silver Lining has a Cloud
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2016, 04:53:50 PM »
Saw it last night at the cinema and boy was that a lot of fun.  Although things started off slowly I felt that worked quite well for setting the scene, and I think the "need moar backstory" thing is part and parcel of the new single canon crafted by the Story Group e.g. all of the additional filler will come in accompanying media like the Rogue One: Catalyst novel.

The good:
- Digital reanimation (if you know what I mean).  Those moments really showed how far technology has come and for me it was right on the cusp of looking exactly right.
- New locations, vehicles and vessels.  Everything fits the universe really well and honestly I wouldn't have a problem mixing and matching content from the new canon with Legends where they don't contradict one another (e.g. U-Wing, shield gate etc).

The bad:
- Forgettable characters.  Apart from Jyn, Galen and Krennic I don't remember the names of any of the other new characters and that makes me sad.
- OP non-Forcery.  Seriously wtf was that?
- The tie-in to ANH at the end seemed overly rushed to me.
Quote from: RonMaverick291 (Gametrailers)
why do u hate america? if it were not for us u guys would be lost. i mean we invented the tv, we invented the internet, cars and we even went to the planet moon. we won all the wars and we always help the little countries who cant fight and we give food to poor people.

December 22, 2016, 06:17:55 PMReply #14

Offline Pali

• Tester
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2016, 06:17:55 PM »
SPOILERS: If you mean the blind guy being badass in a fight, I thought they did a good job of showing he was essentially pulling an Eli (from The Book of Eli) - before he jumps into action, there were a few quick shots showing him hearing small movements by the stormtroopers, and he relied on his hearing to know where they were and his faith in the Force (like Eli's in God) let him fully entrust himself to the moment, believing that whatever happens is what should happen.

I can't say I remembered many names either, but then, I couldn't have given you most of the names in Saving Private Ryan after just one viewing either.  The faces and what each of the main group did to contribute I definitely remember.

December 22, 2016, 07:16:08 PMReply #15

Offline Illidan Stormrage

• Admiral
  • Approval: +17/-10
  • Killing a Emperor doesnt end a Empire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2016, 07:16:08 PM »
SPOILERS: If you mean the blind guy being badass in a fight, I thought they did a good job of showing he was essentially pulling an Eli (from The Book of Eli) - before he jumps into action, there were a few quick shots showing him hearing small movements by the stormtroopers, and he relied on his hearing to know where they were and his faith in the Force (like Eli's in God) let him fully entrust himself to the moment, believing that whatever happens is what should happen.

I can't say I remembered many names either, but then, I couldn't have given you most of the names in Saving Private Ryan after just one viewing either.  The faces and what each of the main group did to contribute I definitely remember.

SPOLIERS TURN AWAY NOW!
I disagree with you and agree with slornie more. He is really a charater like... Hey we cant have no jedi so lets have non-jedi force user. It's bullshit plain and simple. IF he was Jedi like Kota I understand but he is not. Like this guy should've been the first dead during the battle gunned down by all the blaster fire since he can dodge all just with the force since he will be under pressure.

Btw Dave Floini says they will do HERA'S perspective on the battle. Which gives me a Question
Why the fuck weren't Kannan and Ezra sent in the U-Wing to back them up more on the ground?
Either
A: they are both Dead
B: Disney failed to realize the cannonity problems in this film.
They would've help make it awesome.

another problem is that it was rebel spies who stole the plans not a huge fucking strike force. that breaks even more cannonity since the opening crawl and Darth Vader say the plans were stolen by rebel spies not a strike force.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 07:17:40 PM by AdmrialThrawn2 »
"The Empire did nothing wrong obviously" :)
"Your Memes will make a fine addition to my collection"
"YOU ARE NOT PREPARED!"

December 22, 2016, 08:57:37 PMReply #16

Offline Mr.Puerto

• Mod Team Member
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2016, 08:57:37 PM »
SPOLIERS TURN AWAY NOW!
I disagree with you and agree with slornie more. He is really a charater like... Hey we cant have no jedi so lets have non-jedi force user. It's bullshit plain and simple. IF he was Jedi like Kota I understand but he is not. Like this guy should've been the first dead during the battle gunned down by all the blaster fire since he can dodge all just with the force since he will be under pressure.

Btw Dave Floini says they will do HERA'S perspective on the battle. Which gives me a Question
Why the fuck weren't Kannan and Ezra sent in the U-Wing to back them up more on the ground?
Either
A: they are both Dead
B: Disney failed to realize the cannonity problems in this film.
They would've help make it awesome.

another problem is that it was rebel spies who stole the plans not a huge fucking strike force. that breaks even more cannonity since the opening crawl and Darth Vader say the plans were stolen by rebel spies not a strike force.
In the next coming days I'm going to make a topic addressing Disney. Anyway your A and B are completely stupid, they don't have to be two extremes and it can be easily explained anyway. Plus this was a non-jedi movie it would be a terrible choice to add them in. In addition He's character is great and gives depth inside other aspects of the Force and its worship.  Plus you are only looking at one of the lines of the opening crawl
"It is a period of civil war.
Rebel spaceships, striking
from a hidden base, have won
their first victory against
the evil Galactic Empire.
During the battle, Rebel
spies managed to steal secret
plans to the Empire's
ultimate weapon, the DEATH
STAR"
It clearly states that there was a battle before the plans were obtained, so before you start hating with fact-less claims do your research.

December 22, 2016, 09:11:20 PMReply #17

Offline Pali

• Tester
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2016, 09:11:20 PM »
Also, Jyn, K2 and Casion did infiltrate the base undercover, and they were the ones that actually stole and transmitted the plans.  Whether you call them spies or not is probably going to depend on your point of view. ;)

I never viewed Chirrut as a Force-user, just someone who believed in it.  Keep in mind that everyone has midichlorians, not just Force-users, and there is no reason to think that someone who is willing to fully trust their instincts and give themselves over to them without hesitation or doubt couldn't receive some degree of guidance from the Force.  It didn't bother me in Book of Eli that Eli could take a dozen at once hand to hand or in a gunfight (instead it made him AWESOME), so it'd be a bit of a double-standard for it to bother me here. ;)

December 22, 2016, 10:26:35 PMReply #18

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2016, 10:26:35 PM »
In the next coming days I'm going to make a topic addressing Disney. Anyway your A and B are completely stupid, they don't have to be two extremes and it can be easily explained anyway. Plus this was a non-jedi movie it would be a terrible choice to add them in. In addition He's character is great and gives depth inside other aspects of the Force and its worship.  Plus you are only looking at one of the lines of the opening crawl

It clearly states that there was a battle before the plans were obtained, so before you start hating with fact-less claims do your research.

Well he does make some valid points though extreme in his view, I'll allow that he might have some sort of super developed Zen hearing which allowed him to fight, but the character does more Jedi things than most JEDI. The scene on the beach was just absolutely ridiculous(I mean I KNOW stromies can't hit shit but I was utterly flabbergasted)
I liked the Monk's character but felt it raised a LOT of problems in movie. For instance, he is a Force worshiping, Jedi loving, Jet Li fighting ability Monk...yet the Empire just lets him and his buddy do their own thing after apparently taking over their temple for crystals(and NOT destroying the Jedi statues or any memorabilia)...even letting said buddy keep a HEAVY repeating blaster. I'm in the US and even with all our gun friendly policies it's illegal to own the equivalent of a portable minigun without HEAVY oversight, the Empire is a thousand times more oppressive and yet they seem to be lenient on giving malcontents who worship an OUTLAWED Jedi religion heavy weapons. The monk further seems to be able to sense the Force, yet it is claimed he is not force sensitive. It became so unbelievable that it began to affect my enjoyment of the character.

And there are worse problems with the characters, Sarr garrera(or however you say that name) is supposed to watch jyn, but dumps her on her own to 'protect' her even though she has the Empire looking for her allegedly, the director needs hostages to make the scientist work for him, instead he shoots one and stops looking for the other then lets the scientist work with zero supervision on a project he has stated MANY times to be hostile toward. later he gets the scientist to admit he sent stuff to the rebels, then shoots the innocent DESIGN TEAM, the scientist claims he does everything for his daughter's sake and keeps building a 'flaw' into the weapon...even though an exhaust port from a reactor is not a flaw...it's kind of needed, The rebel cpt is an admitted alliance assassin...yet for apparently NO reason decides last minute NOT to kill Jyn's father and offers no explanation, Jyn is totally fine with the Rebel Alliance lying to her face, using her and killing her dad in front of her and then wants to help them immediately! Vader wants to stop the plans from getting out, so rater than DESTROY the crippled rebel flagsip he BOARDS it...even when it is defenseless and he is right by it in a STAR DESTROYER. The film had a MYRIAD of problems.(thus earning my 3/5 rating. Average but not into the realm of great.)

December 22, 2016, 11:13:59 PMReply #19

Offline Pali

• Tester
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2016, 11:13:59 PM »
Who says they let him keep the blaster?  Black market weapons have never seemed hard to get in the Star Wars universe - hell, the Falcon is armed with the equivalent of two quad 50 cal turrets, with military grade armor, shields, sensors... Clearly advanced weapons aren't that hard to get ahold of.

An exhaust port of some sort is necessary.  An exhaust port that is vulnerable enough that a single (or pair) of torpedos shot into it will cause complete annihilation is a massive design flaw.  For a station that size, it is going to have LOTS of exhaust ports if they're all that small - radiating heat in space is a serious challenge, much more difficult in many ways than it is in an atmosphere.  That a single one is vulnerable is actually a pretty subtle bit of sabotage, if you ask me.

I took Cassian not shooting her father as him having his mind changed by Jyn's insistence that Galen was one of the good guys.  He clearly decided that he trusted her enough to defy the council and go on the mission with her.

Why did Vader board the Tantive IV instead of just destroying it in ANH?  My guess in both cases would be that he wanted to be certain that the plans hadn't somehow escaped, and couldn't be so without actually having them back in his hands.

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!