Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: Advice for Pentastar Alignment players?  (Read 4354 times)

November 10, 2016, 08:57:36 PM

Offline Bucman55

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +4/-0
  • Come on, boss, when have I ever let you down?
    • View Profile
Advice for Pentastar Alignment players?
« on: November 10, 2016, 08:57:36 PM »
I've played Ascendancy a few times now but I'm still fairly clueless on things like which frigates are the most useful or which things I should research first. Basically what I'm looking for is a good, long term strategy as the Pentastar Alignment. Can anybody here help with that?

November 10, 2016, 11:20:32 PMReply #1

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
  • Approval: +56/-9
  • Don't turn around you moron, ATTACK!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Advice for Pentastar Alignment players?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2016, 11:20:32 PM »
Lots of Gladiators carrying skiprays, lots of Venators with 2 bombers + 1 Interceptor, lots of vic-i's and for capital ships, concentrate on some Lucrehulk's and Secutors (although don't neglect any).  In other words, bomber spam of the gods, and make sure to have sufficient arctiens to protect your ships form enemy bombers since you should concentrate most of your fighter supply to bombers & blastboats.
People should not be afraid of their government...governments should be afraid of their people.

November 11, 2016, 01:24:53 AMReply #2

Offline Bucman55

• Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 01:24:53 AM »
Lots of Gladiators carrying skiprays, lots of Venators with 2 bombers + 1 Interceptor, lots of vic-i's and for capital ships, concentrate on some Lucrehulk's and Secutors (although don't neglect any).  In other words, bomber spam of the gods, and make sure to have sufficient arctiens to protect your ships form enemy bombers since you should concentrate most of your fighter supply to bombers & blastboats.
So would you say Acclamators should be skipped?

November 11, 2016, 09:07:47 AMReply #3

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2016, 09:07:47 AM »
So would you say Acclamators should be skipped?

Currently, yes.  They don't get blastboats, and aren't effective enough in combat (even if they're the most effective carrier) to bother building.  A Gladiator + Blastboat is a much more effective use of your resources, as the survivability of the Gladiator is significantly better than the Acclamator, and while the Blastboat isn't double the effectiveness of the bomber, it is more effective, so the overall effect is a superior combination for a long campaign (IMO).
People should not be afraid of their government...governments should be afraid of their people.

November 14, 2016, 12:26:48 AMReply #4

Offline Bucman55

• Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2016, 12:26:48 AM »
Thanks for the Starship advice. What about research? Is it better to start with military or economic?

November 14, 2016, 08:21:02 AMReply #5

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2016, 08:21:02 AM »
Thanks for the Starship advice. What about research? Is it better to start with military or economic?

Up to you.  Either way can be successful.

November 14, 2016, 12:30:36 PMReply #6

Offline Revanchist

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +42/-5
  • I am Revan reborn. And before me you are nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2016, 12:30:36 PM »
Up to you.  Either way can be successful.

One thing I will say is since the Alignment gets trade ports pretty early on it makes the early game economy pretty reasonable. I generally rush to Blastboats and Vindicators, then get trade ports, then see how the map is playing out as to whether I run more economic or military.
"History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

"But...it was so artistically done."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

Member of the Imperial Alignment

November 14, 2016, 02:42:33 PMReply #7

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2016, 02:42:33 PM »
One thing I will say is since the Alignment gets trade ports pretty early on it makes the early game economy pretty reasonable. I generally rush to Blastboats and Vindicators, then get trade ports, then see how the map is playing out as to whether I run more economic or military.

Yeah, that's pretty much identical to me.

November 16, 2016, 07:53:46 PMReply #8

Offline Revanchist

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +42/-5
  • I am Revan reborn. And before me you are nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2016, 07:53:46 PM »
One thing I wish is that there was a reason to build Enforcers. As it stands they don't do anything that can't be done better by something else, and a game like Sins is rather harsh on "generalist" ships. Considering how important they were to the Alignment I feel kinda bad not building any.
"History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

"But...it was so artistically done."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

Member of the Imperial Alignment

November 16, 2016, 09:49:33 PMReply #9

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2016, 09:49:33 PM »
One thing I wish is that there was a reason to build Enforcers. As it stands they don't do anything that can't be done better by something else, and a game like Sins is rather harsh on "generalist" ships. Considering how important they were to the Alignment I feel kinda bad not building any.

I find they're actually not bad.  Mostly because the Procursator is useless for it's cost in fleet, but still.

November 17, 2016, 12:48:08 AMReply #10

Offline Bucman55

• Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2016, 12:48:08 AM »
I think they're pretty good. One time I was playing and an Enforcer 1v1 killed either a Dreadnaught or a Strike Cruiser. I don't remember which.

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!