Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: Repeating Crash  (Read 14405 times)

October 21, 2016, 12:10:47 PM

Offline jacknm2

• Stormtrooper Captain
  • Approval: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Repeating Crash
« on: October 21, 2016, 12:10:47 PM »
Hi all, I'm getting a crash every so often resulting in me making a save every time i take an action, The crash usually occurs upon entering combat either in space or ground but sometimes it even crashes on the save when im trying to avoid the crash.

I can run other mods with no issue such as Republic at War - Stargate Pegasus Chronicles Skrimish - Elite Conflict Mod. But this mod doesnt seem to want to play nice and for the life of me cannot figure out why...I deleted the other mods I had installed from my Mod Folder just incase there was a conflict, I also then verified the game cache through steam.

System Spec's:

CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4Ghz
Ram: 16GB 2400Mhz DDR3
GPU: G1 Gaming Xtreme 980ti 6GB
Installed on an SSD
Playing at 3840x2160 Resolution

I've tried setting both the SWEaW and FoC .exe's for compatability mode to Windows 7 and without, the SWEAW .exe will run with "Run as admin" ticked but the FoC.exe will not, it starts then closes a few seconds after so I have this disabled at the moment, I've deleted and reinstalled the mod, included any stability patches i could find on Moddb but I've yet to find a solution.

I get the same error every time: Exception occurred at 02F62093 - Unknown code pointer

Exception in thread 2058 - Main Thread
Exception code EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION
    The thread tried to read from or write to a virtual address for which it does not have the appropriate access.
    Attempt to read from address 7BCA6020

My various searches mentioned something about a Ram fix but this was included with the Steam Gold edition.

I can provide the full log if required.

The base game and base FoC work flawlessly as does the other mods i mentioned. I posted this on the Moddb main page as well, my bad on that, sorry for adding that to the front page.

Thanks for any replies.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 01:03:20 PM by jacknm2 »

October 21, 2016, 12:32:11 PMReply #1

Offline Revanchist

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +42/-5
  • I am Revan reborn. And before me you are nothing.
    • View Profile
Re: Repeating Crash
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 12:32:11 PM »
If you have the disk version of the Gold Pack you still need to RAM fix.

EDIT: but I just saw you said Steam so nevermind.
"History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

"But...it was so artistically done."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

Member of the Imperial Alignment

October 21, 2016, 12:43:47 PMReply #2

Offline jacknm2

• Stormtrooper Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 12:43:47 PM »
Yea i tried everything i could to my knowledge before registering on the forums and bugging you guys. I'm not a pro modder or anything but i do enjoy mods and use mods for various games, so i usually google and search around looking for a fix by myself or that others have tried first.

That led me to the ram fix which i tried to install any way even though the steam version comes with it.

I still have my original Disk copies i got back in...god i dont know when, before i used steam so prior to 2009. I could try installing those with the patch updates and Ram Fix and see if it works that way?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 01:06:42 PM by jacknm2 »

October 21, 2016, 02:32:11 PMReply #3

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2016, 02:32:11 PM »
You shouldn't have any issues regardless of which version you use. the only crashing errors which have been reported from 2.1 were releated to a unit overflow with era changes, which we fixed in this patch:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/thrawns-revenge/downloads/21-stability-patch-gc-fixes

If that doesn't solve your problem, I'll try to troubleshoot your particular case more with you.
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

October 21, 2016, 04:02:28 PMReply #4

Offline jacknm2

• Stormtrooper Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2016, 04:02:28 PM »
You shouldn't have any issues regardless of which version you use. the only crashing errors which have been reported from 2.1 were releated to a unit overflow with era changes, which we fixed in this patch:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/thrawns-revenge/downloads/21-stability-patch-gc-fixes

If that doesn't solve your problem, I'll try to troubleshoot your particular case more with you.

Thanks for your time, this was the first thing i did, downloading the stability patch from moddb as i thought this was why it was happening. At first i just downloaded the 2.1 Zip file then retreived this.

I've tried different Campaign modes as I was first starting with the stars align and go through one by one. After the crashing I immediately went to the Art of war so I could see if it was an era change or anything of the such but I was experiencing the crash both before and after the era change. As this and the Ram Fix was what my search results where bringing up.

After the stability patch didnt work I went through it methodically, deleting the mod folder and infact deleting local content from steam for the game and redownloaded/reinstalled, i redownloaded the Mod and the stability patch, placed the mod files in the new Mod folder and went through each folder in the stability patch and copied over the files directly to the corresponding one in the directory just in case anything went awry there as well. I kept the ICW.Bat file in the directory as well just incase though if i remember correctly the .bat file is for the disk version of the game?

I started a new GC The Art of War as the New Republic and attempted to at least get to the next era to see if this was an issue after reading these forums and googling the error, however in order to expediate this i used Cheat engine to increase the cash available so i could quickly attack/assassinate. I dont know if this is a factor when attempting to rush the process through trouble shooting. Went i get time tomorrow I'll repeat the above steps but remove the cheat engine part and see if i can play through normally. I'm UK GMT TZ so i'll get back on this as soon as I can tomorrow.

Thanks for your time.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 04:05:30 PM by jacknm2 »

October 22, 2016, 10:37:37 AMReply #5

Offline jacknm2

• Stormtrooper Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2016, 10:37:37 AM »
Ok so i completed removed everything, deleted local content for SWEAW+FOC and deleted the folder manually as well to remove any remenants. I redownloaded the game along with the mod + the 2.1 Stability patch and installed everything again methodically. Entered the Launch option to play the game. Made sure my resolution was set right and didnt alter the settings except for this time disabling V-sync.

I started a GC the Stars Align and managed to play for about 2 hours with no incident, no crash, no problems. So in order to rule it out I decided to start another GC, The Art of war and started with the Empire of the hand, I started constructing and moving fleets about and went for my first target Pestine, As soon as my fleet arrived I had a crash and got the error message to check the log file and except file. I didnt use cheat engine to speed things up this time i just played as i normally would and this still occured, i didnt even have a single battle before this happened.

Exception in thread 12DC - LoadThread
    The thread tried to read from or write to a virtual address for which it does not have the appropriate access.
    Attempt to write to address 01A9FFFF

Exception occurred at 00571F7E - Unknown code pointer

Stack walk:
  0056E3AC : Unknown

I havent altered anything about the .exe's, the only box they have checked on the compatability tab is "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings". I can set the SWEaW.exe to run as administrator but due to the unique way steam launchs the FoC expansion if i set this checked on the compatability tab the expansion will fail to launch and force closes itself.

Honestly dont know what else to try here as well I'm good with hardware, not so good with software :P

Edit: As of today 23/10 I was managing to play, some what frustratingly as i did before by saving after every "critical" move and some no critical ones to progress, had about 7 crashes during this time but no big deal for me I always had a save or autosave I could go back too. I was enjoying it until it crashed on the start of a land battle defence and It corrupted not only my save but the autosave before the start of the battle. Resulting in all my progress being wiped, about 2 hours of gameplay. So for now, until I can resolve this I think im done for a short while.

Seems to be the GC the Art of War where I can progress, I hadnt gone up an Era or anything was just building up to it. Thats where I want to play though, thats where all the ships are available and thats the fun part lol and to be honest I dont want to start a different GC and have the resultt end up the same. If you need me to provide anything else let me know as I am really enjoying the mod.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 10:19:05 AM by jacknm2 »

October 23, 2016, 10:44:19 PMReply #6

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2016, 10:44:19 PM »
If you go into corruption/Data/XML or corruption/Data/Scripts, is there anything there?
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

October 24, 2016, 08:25:46 AMReply #7

Offline jacknm2

• Stormtrooper Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2016, 08:25:46 AM »
If you go into corruption/Data/XML or corruption/Data/Scripts, is there anything there?

I'm not too sure what I'm looking for but in curruption/data/scripts there are 5 folders AI - FreeStore - GameObject - Library - Story, most of these containing numberous .bak files and .lua files most of them being in the GameObject and AI folders.

In the XML Folder there is an AI Folder and 5 XML Documents: Expansions_Factions.xml - FactionsFiles.xml - Factions - GameConstants.xml - GraphicDetails.xml. Inside the AI Folder is more folders in which more XML's are stored.

I can provide more info or upload some screenshots to imgur if you need to have a look at whats there but it all looks like basic game files.

EDIT: I've done some more testing with another Mod, Rise of the Mandolarians and I've found that this crash happens there as well, So i think I can rule out this being down to your mod and is down to something on my end but I cant figure out what. I'll do some more testing by reinstalling the RaW mod and see if this crash happens here too. Sorry for wasting your time.

EDIT 2: I even went so far as to delete the contents again and I reinstalled the game in a Fresh Folder on my other SSD a newer 1TB Samsung 850 EVO and I get the same results there as well. Perhaps this is a windows 10 problem?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 10:24:18 AM by jacknm2 »

October 24, 2016, 02:48:44 PMReply #8

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2016, 02:48:44 PM »
It wouldn't be a Windows 10 problem, plenty of people play it with no issues on Windows 10. So, with the install you're running off of, if you go back into those folders (corruption/Data/XML or Scripts), there's nothing there now and it's still crashing?

October 24, 2016, 05:34:11 PMReply #9

Offline jacknm2

• Stormtrooper Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2016, 05:34:11 PM »
It wouldn't be a Windows 10 problem, plenty of people play it with no issues on Windows 10. So, with the install you're running off of, if you go back into those folders (corruption/Data/XML or Scripts), there's nothing there now and it's still crashing?

Yea i figured it wasnt a win10 problem when i checked your youtube tutorial incase i missed anything but the mod installation is straight forward to me and ive been installing them since 2008 lol but you never know so i double checked.

I havent touched those folders after installing. The crash occurs with those intact but there has been nothing Ive added and ive installed 4 times now and validated the cache god knows how many times lol

Those folders your referring to I havent touched, I havent added anything or removed. As far as Im aware they are the standard files for FoC that come with the steam installation. Should I delete this and try launching off the Mod Data Folder alone?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 05:38:18 PM by jacknm2 »

October 24, 2016, 05:49:44 PMReply #10

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2016, 05:49:44 PM »
Well the files you mentioned in your post after I asked the first time shouldn't have been there to begin with. Some mods (ie RaW) install those files there, which interferes with other mods (explaining why both TR and RotM are crashing) so I'm just trying to figure out of any of those are still there.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 05:52:05 PM by Corey »

October 24, 2016, 06:10:27 PMReply #11

Offline jacknm2

• Stormtrooper Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2016, 06:10:27 PM »
There shouldnt be anything in those folders?

But i did a clean install with a comoletely new Directory (H drive instead of my F drive) and only then went to corruption and created a mods folder then added the ICW extracted folder to it. Then launched the game via launch command.

So I assumed those XML files and Scripts where part of the base FoC game. I'm just going to work now...dam night shift so ill have to get on it tomorrow. I'll delete those folders I guess and see if it works.

Before I do that tomorrow however Ill take some screenshots of what it was like before I did so and upload them to imgur so you can see if theres anything that shouldnt be there.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 06:12:13 PM by jacknm2 »

October 25, 2016, 08:40:06 AMReply #12

Offline jacknm2

• Stormtrooper Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2016, 08:40:06 AM »
Ok I checked after my new installation and in H:\Steam\steamapps\common\Star Wars Empire at War\corruption\Data - There was no Scripts Folder and in the XML Folder was just a GAMECONSTANTS xml file, which I deleted because if I wanted to play FoC i could always verify again.

I Attempted to play again and same result but not always in the same place, its random.

Exception in thread 8C0 - Main Thread
    Attempt to write to address 02240000

Exception occurred at 00571F77 - Unknown code pointer

Stack walk:
  0056DBBB : Unknown

Register dump:
  Eip:00571F77   Esp:0019F864   Ebp:00000008
  Eax:00000008   Ebx:0019FA38   Ecx:00000002
  Edx:00000052   Esi:61942E40   Edi:02240000
  EFlags:00010202
  CS:0023  SS:002b  DS:002b  ES:002b  FS:0053  GS:002b

Bytes at CS:EIP (00571F77): F3 A5 8B C8 83 E1 03 F3 A4 01 6B 44 8B 43 44 8B 4B 48 3B C8 5F 5E 7E 02 8B C1 89 43 48 8B C5 5D 5B C2 08 00 CC CC CC CC CC 81 EC 04 02 00 00 8B 84 24 08 02 00 00 53 55 56 57 33 FF 89 3D 20 88

More or less same error code.

October 31, 2016, 11:48:24 AMReply #13

Offline jacknm2

• Stormtrooper Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2016, 11:48:24 AM »
Well I can play skrimish mode OK but any GC apart from the first one "Stars Align" im outta luck. Perhaps I should just try the SoSE Rebellion Mod xD

November 07, 2016, 09:20:22 PMReply #14

Offline Earthling

• Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2016, 09:20:22 PM »
I am very grateful to Jacknm2 for going so extensively to fix this problem with crashes. I cannot imagine how frustrating and time-consuming this must've been.

I myself have tried almost every solution under the sun to make Thrawn's Revenge not crash in Empire at War after a while with the sudden EXCEPTION CANNOT FIND logfile blah blah error. It usually happens when I try and save a game or load a space or ground battle after a while of play which can range from 1-4 hours. Must be something to do with the longer or more intense i play, the more the computer just wears out.

However the RAM fix should be in play since I have Gold Pack in Steam plus my system should be more than capable with an i7 860, R9 390, 8GB Corsair + 4GB G-Skills Ripjaws and a 750W Power supply. PLZ HELP

November 12, 2016, 09:32:21 PMReply #15

Offline Tornado1001

• Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2016, 09:32:21 PM »
I also am having these exact issues with my Thrawn's Revenge and have followed the same steps as Jacknm2 and Earthling. I EXTREMELY love the mod and I've been hooked for quite sometime, but I can hardly get progress. . . .

January 30, 2017, 03:31:51 PMReply #16

Offline jacknm2

• Stormtrooper Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2017, 03:31:51 PM »
I am very grateful to Jacknm2 for going so extensively to fix this problem with crashes. I cannot imagine how frustrating and time-consuming this must've been.

I myself have tried almost every solution under the sun to make Thrawn's Revenge not crash in Empire at War after a while with the sudden EXCEPTION CANNOT FIND logfile blah blah error. It usually happens when I try and save a game or load a space or ground battle after a while of play which can range from 1-4 hours. Must be something to do with the longer or more intense i play, the more the computer just wears out.

However the RAM fix should be in play since I have Gold Pack in Steam plus my system should be more than capable with an i7 860, R9 390, 8GB Corsair + 4GB G-Skills Ripjaws and a 750W Power supply. PLZ HELP

I wish I had goods news regarding this, but I've found this isnt limited to Thrawns Revenge, I am also having this issue on Republic at War and Stargate Pegasus Chronicles Mod's.

It is very frustrating and ive spent many hours trying to fix this issue but i think it comes down to the steam version. Many Many people are telling me to get the GoG version of the game as the GoG team made the game compatible witht all OS versions and included fixes. But I'm reluctant....and unable to spend another £15.99 on a 3rd copy of the game (having the Disc versions none gold pack and Steam gold Pack).

I'd be very greatful if any of Thrawns Revenge Mod Dev's or moderators could perhaps shed some light on this after all this time, but I DO understand you guys are doing this in your freetime and your busy moving onto other games to mod. But still any help or info on this would be awesome, as my software skills have been exhausted at this point.

January 30, 2017, 06:45:47 PMReply #17

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2017, 06:45:47 PM »
If it's an issue that only occurs sometimes, and after playing a bit, it could be because the game doesn't have proper permissions with the savegame folder.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 06:48:55 PM by Corey »

January 31, 2017, 02:30:36 PMReply #18

Offline jacknm2

• Stormtrooper Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2017, 02:30:36 PM »
If it's an issue that only occurs sometimes, and after playing a bit, it could be because the game doesn't have proper permissions with the savegame folder.

How would i solve this? The game is installed on my Steam Library 1TB SSD H:\ drive, the save game folder for petroglyph is on the C:\ drive, the game is ran as admin and im the only / admin user. So i would assume the permissions are a given?

April 05, 2017, 10:07:09 PMReply #19

Combustion

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2017, 10:07:09 PM »
I'm also getting the same problem :(

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!