Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: AI spams super destroyers and points them wrong direction  (Read 1920 times)

October 14, 2016, 12:56:13 AM

Offline Ordinarygamer96

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +0/-0
    • View Profile
AI spams super destroyers and points them wrong direction
« on: October 14, 2016, 12:56:13 AM »
Didn't think to screenshot it at the time but I just had a funny battle where I was attacking an imperial world which I knew had a sovereign class SSD and an executor along with support ships and a praetor. I jump in with my 3 praetors and venator squadron because I'm pentastar and as my praetors begin engaging the enemy SSDs turn around and retreat which eventually led to my fighter swarm and praetors chasing them all the way back to their golans with the enemy barely fighting back. I kill both SSDs about this time and then probably like 4 enemy praetors jump in to attack me. Then the moment I kill a praetor or two an executor jumps in and promptly turns away from my weakened praetors. I eventually at the cost of about 5 venators a few ISD2 and a praetor killed 2 executors, a sovereign, several victory class destroyers, 2 Golan 2s, and 4 praetors all because the AI was having an off day and pointing its SSDs away from me haha. Anyone else encounter the AI making such fatal mistakes with SSDs? The empire in my game is losing against the NR to the south so why they had 7 high powered ships just sitting on my border instead of sending them somewhere i dont understand.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 12:58:43 AM by Ordinarygamer96 »

October 14, 2016, 02:15:40 AMReply #1

Offline StarBornMichaelh165

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +4/-6
  • Long Live the United Species Republic.
    • View Profile
    • www.YouTube.com
Re: AI spams super destroyers and points them wrong direction
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 02:15:40 AM »
Because the Ai in Empire at War is DUMB sometimes And no one fix the Ai so that's why.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 03:44:56 AM by StarBornMichaelh165 »
Greetings my people and welcome to the United Species Republic. Come and join the Republic that is not Like any Republic you never know before come join today. Oh and check out my YouTube and my Fan Fiction Profile OK Everyone.
 [img] file:///C:/Users/Michael/Pictures/my%20photos/Conqueror_superlaser.jpg [img]

October 14, 2016, 02:26:16 AMReply #2

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 02:26:16 AM »
As far as the pointing the wrong way thing goes, the pathfinding (which is separate from the AI) can't handle ships larger than ISDs very well. Human players can correct for this a little be saying to go to a slightly different area or stop, but the AI just says "I want you here" and doesn't account for pathfinding not being optimal.
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

October 14, 2016, 10:01:43 AMReply #3

Offline Ordinarygamer96

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 10:01:43 AM »
As far as the pointing the wrong way thing goes, the pathfinding (which is separate from the AI) can't handle ships larger than ISDs very well. Human players can correct for this a little be saying to go to a slightly different area or stop, but the AI just says "I want you here" and doesn't account for pathfinding not being optimal.
I assumed it was the game pathfinding because I've seen it things like this before to lesser degrees. Overall it was just a really funny moment and probably is the turning point in my campaign because until now I've been on the defensive fighting executor spam against my credit territories

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!