Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: Lusankya hard to beat....obviously...but...  (Read 2409 times)

October 12, 2016, 09:54:00 PM

Rob McMillan

Lusankya hard to beat....obviously...but...
« on: October 12, 2016, 09:54:00 PM »
Hi!

I took the Lusankya into battle earlier today, and it seems like no matter how many ships, fighters, frigates, etc. hit it with firepower (including X-wings with proton torpedoes) it doesn't see any of the hardpoints damaged until AFTER the shields go down. Is there an issue that is different from Forces of Corruption of Empire at War where the shields prevent missiles/torpedoes from doing hardpoint damage through shields? Or is it only on the Executor ships? Or am I missing something?

October 12, 2016, 09:56:19 PMReply #1

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
Re: Lusankya hard to beat....obviously...but...
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 09:56:19 PM »
Proton torpedoes do not penetrate shields. This is both truer to canon, and also prevents bomber spam from being as effective as in the base game (while still being pretty damn effective).
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

October 13, 2016, 12:03:10 AMReply #2

Rob McMillan

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2016, 12:03:10 AM »
That makes sense! I always thought proton torpedoes penetrated shields (that's what happens in EAW and FOC), but they probably shouldn't. Thanks for the clarification!

October 13, 2016, 01:42:44 AMReply #3

Offline kucsidave

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +44/-4
  • Don't fear your Demons. Make them fear YOU.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2016, 01:42:44 AM »
That makes sense! I always thought proton torpedoes penetrated shields (that's what happens in EAW and FOC), but they probably shouldn't. Thanks for the clarification!
In fact, there were no other source where this happened anywhere else than EaW.
Just to make a few example. The X-wing game series, Battlefront II, Rogue Squadron (I don't know which one had the Battle of Endor. It was a long time ago I played those games.)
Also, everyone used bombers to simply destroy the Shield Generator on every ship and the station and then brought in the bulk of the fleet
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 01:45:02 AM by kucsidave »
"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster.
And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche

October 13, 2016, 07:55:44 PMReply #4

Rob McMillan

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2016, 07:55:44 PM »
Do concussion missiles penetrate shields?

November 27, 2016, 11:04:45 AMReply #5

Offline ErikModi

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2016, 11:04:45 AM »
Do concussion missiles penetrate shields?

Short answer:  Nope.

Long answer:  Star Wars actually has two kinds of shields, ray shields and particle shields.  Ray shields protect from energy, particle shields from matter.  All ships have at least low-grade particle shields (since a speck of dust hitting your hull at a substantial fraction of the speed of light will ruin your day), and almost all ships have heavier particle shields and ray shields.  "Shields up" is shorthand for reinforcing the particle shields to withstand matter weapon attacks, and activating ray shields to protect from energy weapon attacks.  Most games (and in-universe fiction) abstract this to just "shields" that do both, and multiple references to single shield generators indicate that the two systems can be combined into one unit.

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!