Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: New to EAW - Looking for tips/answers on IR "Final Push"  (Read 3232 times)

October 10, 2016, 11:34:50 PM

Offline Mandalore93

• Recruit
  • Approval: +0/-0
    • View Profile
New to EAW - Looking for tips/answers on IR "Final Push"
« on: October 10, 2016, 11:34:50 PM »
Hey there guys! I've had EAW since it came out but it never really struck my fancy. I've recently seen some videos of this mod on Youtube and reinstalled the game and mod. I chose the Remnant during Era 5 because Rebels are scum and I didn't want to start out with super powerful ships. I currently play on normal and I've done a few restarts. The first time or two was due to losing heroes because I was grouping them up with my cap ships and they were getting focused.

Right now my initial strategy is pushing into the Empire of the Hand and trying to secure that stretch of territory so that I can have more planets far away from the front lines to tax and to close down one of my fronts permanently. However I find that by the time I push through three to four planets that they have built up some of those really powerful stations and I was wondering if the IR has any anti-platform ships that can hammer them from long range or if I just have to duke it out with ISD IIs leading the way and try to rotate them so their shields don't go down.

Do the IR heroes in Era 5 have any special abilities? I know Pellaeon has the focus fire ability but I didn't really see anything for Daala and haven't seen anything like Leia where costs are cut from whatever system she's in. Daala in particular seems very bad because her ship is one of the clone wars era ships and she gets melted if she gets anywhere near the front line.

How should I go about killing the viscounts before I have my own SSDs? I think the Rebels start with one and it always appears over that planet by Wayland sometime before week 10. I have seen that video of the TIE/D squadrons murdering it and that looks promising but if I had to is it possible to micro a few capitals behind it using the turn/stop keys and have them hammer it from behind?

Ground forces: I've seen a few threads on here regarding how good the XR-85 is and I haven't gotten a chance to take it out to test personally. Should I even bother building AT-AT factories in era 5 with them being so good? Since stacking buildings gives a training time multiplier should I just have a planet for each type of unit factory? Also, what is the best strategy against the turbolasers that the AI likes to build? Is it necessary to constantly use artillery in every attack stack or do the turbolasers even outrange those?

I also figure that in Era 5 that my ships are probably just not going to be good enough to go 1v1 with their NR counterparts in particular the Bothan cruiser and the Viscount. I haven't tried the Tector out yet, is it comparable to whatever size ship it should be put up against? I'm also not sure what the "mid level" cruiser is supposed to be for the IR at this era. I've just been assuming that the ISD II and VSD II are pretty good ships for their respective weight classes and been trying to modernize my fleets where money allows

October 13, 2016, 07:34:36 AMReply #1

Offline JMDurron

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +1/-0
    • View Profile
Re: New to EAW - Looking for tips/answers on IR "Final Push"
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2016, 07:34:36 AM »
I can only help to answer one of your many questions, unfortunately.  Yes, you DO want to have a planet for each type of unit factory. 

October 13, 2016, 02:37:29 PMReply #2

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2016, 02:37:29 PM »
Right now my initial strategy is pushing into the Empire of the Hand and trying to secure that stretch of territory so that I can have more planets far away from the front lines to tax and to close down one of my fronts permanently. However I find that by the time I push through three to four planets that they have built up some of those really powerful stations and I was wondering if the IR has any anti-platform ships that can hammer them from long range or if I just have to duke it out with ISD IIs leading the way and try to rotate them so their shields don't go down.

There's nothing specifically anti-platform.

Do the IR heroes in Era 5 have any special abilities? I know Pellaeon has the focus fire ability but I didn't really see anything for Daala and haven't seen anything like Leia where costs are cut from whatever system she's in. Daala in particular seems very bad because her ship is one of the clone wars era ships and she gets melted if she gets anywhere near the front line.

Most heroes like that are useful less for their personal combat power, and more for their combat bonuses. The strengths of them weren't documented in the game in 2.1, however any hero that has the little circles emanating from their icon at the top is providing a significant combat bonus to your regular ships.

How should I go about killing the viscounts before I have my own SSDs? I think the Rebels start with one and it always appears over that planet by Wayland sometime before week 10. I have seen that video of the TIE/D squadrons murdering it and that looks promising but if I had to is it possible to micro a few capitals behind it using the turn/stop keys and have them hammer it from behind?

The most efficient way to take out any SSDs for any faction is always going to involve bombers to some extent, but the most efficient way, especially if there's other support ships, is usually a mix of destroyers and carriers.

Ground forces: I've seen a few threads on here regarding how good the XR-85 is and I haven't gotten a chance to take it out to test personally. Should I even bother building AT-AT factories in era 5 with them being so good? Since stacking buildings gives a training time multiplier should I just have a planet for each type of unit factory? Also, what is the best strategy against the turbolasers that the AI likes to build? Is it necessary to constantly use artillery in every attack stack or do the turbolasers even outrange those?

For the XR-85s, in 2.1 they do tend to outshine the AT-AT when available. As for turbolasers, they don't outrange artillery, but usually a heavy vehicle can still take a few hits from them and beat it. The absolute best way to deal with them is to get some IDTs and search out the power generator to deactivate them, and microing infantry into their base (they can't shoot directly down) tends to take care of them pretty well, too.

I also figure that in Era 5 that my ships are probably just not going to be good enough to go 1v1 with their NR counterparts in particular the Bothan cruiser and the Viscount. I haven't tried the Tector out yet, is it comparable to whatever size ship it should be put up against? I'm also not sure what the "mid level" cruiser is supposed to be for the IR at this era. I've just been assuming that the ISD II and VSD II are pretty good ships for their respective weight classes and been trying to modernize my fleets where money allows

In general, yeah, the NR's got you beat one-to-one. The Tector does a pretty good job fighting the newer capital ships, but keep in mind you're not getting fighters with it. If you want versatility, so good fighter complements and still decent ship-to-ship combat, then ISDII and VSDIIs are still very useful.
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

October 15, 2016, 09:37:59 PMReply #3

Offline Mith

• Stormtrooper Captain
  • Approval: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2016, 09:37:59 PM »
Corey did a nice job answering your questions, but I thought I would add a few more tips.
1. The Venator isn't meant to be a front line warship, it's your carrier, and it should be used as such, keep it away from the NR warships if you can, since its main weapon is its fighters and it's rather fragile.

2. I would personally recommend VSD1s instead of VSD2s, because they are much better at handling starfighters, and the NR loves starfighters, additionally, if I remember correctly the VSD1 has better burst damage, especially against hulls.

3. Be ready to kill lots of Viscounts, from what I remember the AI gets a ton of income, and holds more than a few capital shipyards, I recommend a combination of carriers and cruisers/frigates (think VSDs, dreadnaughts, etc.). Make sure you don't deploy your whole fleet at once, upon making contact drop your cruisers and frigates into it's blindspot and use micro to keep them and your bombers there, hopefully the supporting fleet will be manageable, and you can mop up after dealing with the Viscount. Might also want to use an Interdictor to prevent it from fleeing. Otherwise, the best counter is another SSD and it's supporting fleet, using similar tactics.

Hopefully some of this might help you.

October 16, 2016, 11:18:44 AMReply #4

Offline Revanchist

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +42/-5
  • I am Revan reborn. And before me you are nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2016, 11:18:44 AM »
Final Imperial Push is one of the GCs I enjoy the most. To add a few suggestions to the list:

1) Early game, space is less important than ground. You can't beat the NR Space forces 1 on 1, and the EotH is never the easiest of battles, but on the ground you have a chance. If you're outmatched in a space fight, retreat, but don't lose an inch of ground. XR-85s are tremendously useful for this, providing anti-heavy support. AT-STs are good for anti-infantry duties; and as the AI loves its V-wings, it's handy to have something that can help with that as well. Turbolaser towers are good as well once you have the credit flow to support their construction.

2) Know your ground maps. Is there an abandoned Turbolaser on the map? Grab it. Is there a Sensor Array? Definitely grab it. Are there abandoned factories? Free scout units are never bad, and swamp speeders are actually pretty good anti-infantry. Prepare in advance for bombing runs by building AA-turrets around your base.

3) Specialize your planets. If it has a high base income, fill it with Tax Bureaus. If it has a lot of build slots, make it a vehicle production facility. If it's a border world lock it down.

4) Viscount hunting. Before you build your first Executor it will be messy. Viscount spam is a real threat. Early game I never suggest fighting one on their ground. Fight over your planets and you can control the battle. Dual HVG on border worlds is handy. Make good use of the super ship blindspots. Tectors and ISD 2s, backed by a couple carriers and Vics (while Vic 1s are excellent ships with more burst damage and anti-fighter capabilities; Vic 2s, with their Ion Cannons and Concentrate Firepower are good at dropping shields and letting the Vic 1s concussion missiles do their thing).
"History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

"But...it was so artistically done."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

Member of the Imperial Alignment

October 16, 2016, 11:49:33 AMReply #5

Offline kucsidave

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +44/-4
  • Don't fear your Demons. Make them fear YOU.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2016, 11:49:33 AM »
1)AT-STs are good for anti-infantry duties; and as the AI loves its V-wings, it's handy to have something that can help with that as well.
Just a small correction on Revanchist's excelent ideas. Use AT-PTs if you are willing to micromanage. If you personally target the NR's air units the AT-PTs are far better than AT-STs since they are AI and AA units at the same time.
"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster.
And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche

October 16, 2016, 03:20:54 PMReply #6

Offline Revanchist

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +42/-5
  • I am Revan reborn. And before me you are nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2016, 03:20:54 PM »
Just a small correction on Revanchist's excelent ideas. Use AT-PTs if you are willing to micromanage. If you personally target the NR's air units the AT-PTs are far better than AT-STs since they are AI and AA units at the same time.

Very true. Though they are squishier, their AA capabilities are decent.
"History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

"But...it was so artistically done."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

Member of the Imperial Alignment

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!