Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Poll

Who do we point the finger at?

You may only select up to 2 options.

Author Topic: "Ramblings of a couple of Admirals, lords, guests on star wars cannon"  (Read 13732 times)

October 18, 2016, 08:06:55 PMReply #20

Offline Ordinarygamer96

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: "Ramblings of a couple of Admirals, lords, guests on star wars cannon"
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2016, 08:06:55 PM »
I feel like the new canon has potential in its exploration of the rise of the empire era as well as the time between 6 and 7. My theory is that while we have seen this sudden shift in the balance of power play out with the empire crumbling rapidly and the first order coming out of nowhere I don't believe we have seen every major player in the galaxy. The First Order almost seems like Snoke's puppets (hes not even at their main base during the moment of their planned final victory) and not the primary card hes playing. The first order I suspect is not the only active remnant of the empire/sith forces and is instead acting as more of a distraction while Snoke does whatever he is doing behind the scenes. I understand this might sound weird but to me it sounds like Snoke has fashioned the first order into more of a super powerful terror group than an army meant to reshape the Galaxy. I assume in the aftermath final novel we will learn more about the founding of the First Order and the status of other Imperial remnants. I'm still sort of hoping Thrawn is somewhere with his own new canon Empire of the Hand. Anyway I suspect that Snoke is playing a way more sinister game than simply reforging an empire that already broke once and I wouldn't be surprised actually if he somehow was involved in making the old empire fall apart after Endor

October 18, 2016, 08:43:17 PMReply #21

Offline Illidan Stormrage

• Admiral
  • Approval: +17/-10
  • Killing a Emperor doesnt end a Empire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2016, 08:43:17 PM »
I feel like the new canon has potential in its exploration of the rise of the empire era as well as the time between 6 and 7. My theory is that while we have seen this sudden shift in the balance of power play out with the empire crumbling rapidly and the first order coming out of nowhere I don't believe we have seen every major player in the galaxy. The First Order almost seems like Snoke's puppets (hes not even at their main base during the moment of their planned final victory) and not the primary card hes playing. The first order I suspect is not the only active remnant of the empire/sith forces and is instead acting as more of a distraction while Snoke does whatever he is doing behind the scenes. I understand this might sound weird but to me it sounds like Snoke has fashioned the first order into more of a super powerful terror group than an army meant to reshape the Galaxy. I assume in the aftermath final novel we will learn more about the founding of the First Order and the status of other Imperial remnants. I'm still sort of hoping Thrawn is somewhere with his own new canon Empire of the Hand. Anyway I suspect that Snoke is playing a way more sinister game than simply reforging an empire that already broke once and I wouldn't be surprised actually if he somehow was involved in making the old empire fall apart after Endor
See their are more problems
1: Why would Snoke waste his time getting thses forces together?
2: Snoke cannot of been unknown to the force users unless... He wasn't in the galaxy at the time.
3: We will not know about the Imperial Remnant because aftermath only covers a short window after Endor(AKA a year)
4:  We hear from Kylo Ren that the first order has recover archives from the Empire which means they Know who Thrawn is.
5: WHY IS THEIR A FULLY DETAIL MAP OF THE GALAXY?????
6: Who is this imperial Warlord that the First Order looks up too.
7: Since when did the First order get a weapon that powerful. The empire made only two death stars barely bigger than a moon with and is Powered by kyber crystals and able to only blow up 1 planet. The First Order which lacks planets builds a weapon cable able of destroying entire star systems.
"The Empire did nothing wrong obviously" :)
"Your Memes will make a fine addition to my collection"
"YOU ARE NOT PREPARED!"

October 18, 2016, 10:22:56 PMReply #22

Offline Ordinarygamer96

• Brevet Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2016, 10:22:56 PM »
See their are more problems
1: Why would Snoke waste his time getting thses forces together?
2: Snoke cannot of been unknown to the force users unless... He wasn't in the galaxy at the time.
3: We will not know about the Imperial Remnant because aftermath only covers a short window after Endor(AKA a year)
4:  We hear from Kylo Ren that the first order has recover archives from the Empire which means they Know who Thrawn is.
5: WHY IS THEIR A FULLY DETAIL MAP OF THE GALAXY?????
6: Who is this imperial Warlord that the First Order looks up too.
7: Since when did the First order get a weapon that powerful. The empire made only two death stars barely bigger than a moon with and is Powered by kyber crystals and able to only blow up 1 planet. The First Order which lacks planets builds a weapon cable able of destroying entire star systems.

Like I said my theory is he is using the first order like pawns to distract everyone from his real plans. Snoke could be someone who was known but not directly involved in events or he could be like some have theorized and be an ancient reawakened sith. The aftermath books are still not done and are showing off events that led to the current status quo so presumably snoke will make an appearance and might have already if he is actully Sloane. They would know who Thrawn is but not everything he did or is doing at the time of force awakens if still alive. I dont understand what you even mean by asking why is there a map. Sloane and snoke might be same person. The first order has planets in the unknown regions

October 18, 2016, 11:01:04 PMReply #23

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2016, 11:01:04 PM »
Like I said my theory is he is using the first order like pawns to distract everyone from his real plans. Snoke could be someone who was known but not directly involved in events or he could be like some have theorized and be an ancient reawakened sith. The aftermath books are still not done and are showing off events that led to the current status quo so presumably snoke will make an appearance and might have already if he is actully Sloane. They would know who Thrawn is but not everything he did or is doing at the time of force awakens if still alive. I dont understand what you even mean by asking why is there a map. Sloane and snoke might be same person. The first order has planets in the unknown regions
That's the problem though I don't want a version of Dark Empire made by Disney(Basically I don't want him to be Palps). Snoke cant Sloane for she was bron during the rise of the empire and Snoke longer ago then that. Also Disney themselves said that the sith order died at Endor with the death star. And BTW that is exactly what Vader and Paplatine did with the empire they use it to control the galaxy. If Snoke is using the first order like pawns then why give them the Knights of Ren and Kylo Ren? Now we know that the NR is fragmented(Ironic) With CSA and the Hutts attempting to seize power. The First Order and the resistance took hits from this battle, but if Snoke has a sith army planed to invade he do it now.
"YOU ARE NOT PREPARED!"

October 18, 2016, 11:16:46 PMReply #24

Offline Ordinarygamer96

• Brevet Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2016, 11:16:46 PM »
That's the problem though I don't want a version of Dark Empire made by Disney(Basically I don't want him to be Palps). Snoke cant Sloane for she was bron during the rise of the empire and Snoke longer ago then that. Also Disney themselves said that the sith order died at Endor with the death star. And BTW that is exactly what Vader and Paplatine did with the empire they use it to control the galaxy. If Snoke is using the first order like pawns then why give them the Knights of Ren and Kylo Ren? Now we know that the NR is fragmented(Ironic) With CSA and the Hutts attempting to seize power. The First Order and the resistance took hits from this battle, but if Snoke has a sith army planed to invade he do it now.
Disney could be using wordplay when they say the Sith Order died. The sith order of the rule of 2 died at Endor with Palps but the sith themselves in their ancient pre rule of 2 form could still exist. He didn't give them the Knights of Ren. Just Kylo. The rest are presumably off doing other things for Snoke instead of helping the order.

October 19, 2016, 09:05:23 AMReply #25

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
  • Approval: +134/-14
  • Nothing shall withstand my ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2016, 09:05:23 AM »
So basis rehash. Bloody pointless. This is why sometimes it's best to leave things be with an ending.
Everything that COULD be done HAS already been done
"I do not intend to be the Emperor's servant forever..."-High Inquisitor Jerec

"The New Order has never fallen. Only the Emperor."-Grand Moff Ardus Kaine

November 03, 2016, 07:26:34 AMReply #26

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2016, 07:26:34 AM »
You know what would be kind of cool a film I call Rouge Squadron
simple: Rebel Pilots who defect from the rebel alliance after Endor.
They have Black x-wings and fight at jakku
"YOU ARE NOT PREPARED!"

December 15, 2016, 02:29:26 PMReply #27

Offline Singularity

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +8/-0
  • Never trust a bartender with bad grammar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2016, 02:29:26 PM »
Who else wants to make a bet that Episode VIII starts with the First Order having inexplicably taken over most of the Galaxy and the New Republic/Republic/Resistance/Rebels/good guys on the run and hiding on a distant planet? I'll take all offers!

December 15, 2016, 02:47:38 PMReply #28

Offline Revanchist

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +42/-5
  • I am Revan reborn. And before me you are nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2016, 02:47:38 PM »
I think this question is really more than one part. The first is very easy: who is to blame for rebooting the canon? The answer would be Disney and the Story Group; they are the ones who decided to flip the switch and start again. Now I am not saying that is a terrible, evil thing. It's what happened, and while I may not like it I could understand why. The previous iteration of what is now the Story Group gave reconciling everything to canon a valiant effort, but there were plenty of inconsistencies. There were also an equal number of garbage works to gems in the EU. As much as I would like to, I cannot fault them for wanting to start again.

However, we have to ask ourselves when the plan to reboot canon really began. I propose that it had begun when The Clone Wars was released. Let's just take a quick overview of the things TCW did:

Completely rewrote Mandalore and the Mandalorians
Completely rewrote Dathomir and the population thereof
Completely rewrote how lightsaber crystals work
Attempted to bring Durge in, only he was going to be human, not Gen'Dai
Killed Even Piell

Those are just the ones I can think of offhand. It's clear that even then there were plans to completely rewrite canon, most likely even leading to a reboot anyways.

The more in depth question lies in who is to blame for the distressing turn this new canon is taking. Let's examine each of the valid entries on the poll and see if we can identify the source.

George Lucas: the man takes enough flak for stuff as it is, and while he can be credited for some ridiculous things in the new canon (requesting they bring Maul back to life for one), he isn't in control anymore, so he is most definitely not to blame. Him selling Star Wars to Disney was a way to keep Star Wars alive and thriving, and there is nothing wrong with his intent.

Dave Filoni: the guy's done more harm than good for Star Wars. He succeeded in wrecking a lot of canon before the reboot was announced. However, he doesn't have a hold on all the aspects of the IP, nor is he in complete control of what happens, so he can't be the problem.

Us: yes, I will admit our rose-colored glasses of nostalgia is most likely blinding us to some of the good in the new canon. However, I have spoken to many of my friends who have had absolutely zero exposure to the EU and they are also dissatisfied with the direction Star Wars is headed.

Story Group: they are working on the new content, so it must be their fault, right? Not exactly. They were actually formed about two years before the canon wipe. The decision to wipe and start again, though executed by them, did not originate from them. In addition, their job isn't to write Star Wars, it is only to determine canon and ensure no parts of the new canon clash in the way the old canon did.

Disney: the Big Bad, the Evil of all Evils, the one we dare not speak of. Surely, as we have reached the end of the list they must be the ones to blame! Well, yes and no. It is true that the executives and the like are the ones who end up approving what happens, in the end they are looking at what will net the most money, and while this is definitely sad, they have a bottom line they are trying to hit.

No, the real problem is modern society. Today's culture wants shallow. They want action without substance. They want effects over form. No story, and predictable. That's why reboots are the in thing, because people already know what's going to happen. That's why movies like the Avengers are such a big hit: a 2 1/2 hour fight scene without a plot doesn't require any brain power to comprehend. You even see this trend in video games, with the fall of strategy-based games and the rise of the modern FPS. Any entertainment that dares to go against this has a tough battle ahead of them. It is just more profitable to make what people want to see. Thus if ever a change is to happen, it has to be with the audience first. When the companies see the audience wants something more than cheap, lifeless rehash they'll give it to them.
"History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

"But...it was so artistically done."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

Member of the Imperial Alignment

December 15, 2016, 05:03:01 PMReply #29

Offline DarthRevansRevenge

• Admiral
  • Approval: +14/-3
  • Your empire is doomed. Revan has returned
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2016, 05:03:01 PM »
I think this question is really more than one part. The first is very easy: who is to blame for rebooting the canon? The answer would be Disney and the Story Group; they are the ones who decided to flip the switch and start again. Now I am not saying that is a terrible, evil thing. It's what happened, and while I may not like it I could understand why. The previous iteration of what is now the Story Group gave reconciling everything to canon a valiant effort, but there were plenty of inconsistencies. There were also an equal number of garbage works to gems in the EU. As much as I would like to, I cannot fault them for wanting to start again.

However, we have to ask ourselves when the plan to reboot canon really began. I propose that it had begun when The Clone Wars was released. Let's just take a quick overview of the things TCW did:

Completely rewrote Mandalore and the Mandalorians
Completely rewrote Dathomir and the population thereof
Completely rewrote how lightsaber crystals work
Attempted to bring Durge in, only he was going to be human, not Gen'Dai
Killed Even Piell

Those are just the ones I can think of offhand. It's clear that even then there were plans to completely rewrite canon, most likely even leading to a reboot anyways.

The more in depth question lies in who is to blame for the distressing turn this new canon is taking. Let's examine each of the valid entries on the poll and see if we can identify the source.

George Lucas: the man takes enough flak for stuff as it is, and while he can be credited for some ridiculous things in the new canon (requesting they bring Maul back to life for one), he isn't in control anymore, so he is most definitely not to blame. Him selling Star Wars to Disney was a way to keep Star Wars alive and thriving, and there is nothing wrong with his intent.

Dave Filoni: the guy's done more harm than good for Star Wars. He succeeded in wrecking a lot of canon before the reboot was announced. However, he doesn't have a hold on all the aspects of the IP, nor is he in complete control of what happens, so he can't be the problem.

Us: yes, I will admit our rose-colored glasses of nostalgia is most likely blinding us to some of the good in the new canon. However, I have spoken to many of my friends who have had absolutely zero exposure to the EU and they are also dissatisfied with the direction Star Wars is headed.

Story Group: they are working on the new content, so it must be their fault, right? Not exactly. They were actually formed about two years before the canon wipe. The decision to wipe and start again, though executed by them, did not originate from them. In addition, their job isn't to write Star Wars, it is only to determine canon and ensure no parts of the new canon clash in the way the old canon did.

Disney: the Big Bad, the Evil of all Evils, the one we dare not speak of. Surely, as we have reached the end of the list they must be the ones to blame! Well, yes and no. It is true that the executives and the like are the ones who end up approving what happens, in the end they are looking at what will net the most money, and while this is definitely sad, they have a bottom line they are trying to hit.

No, the real problem is modern society. Today's culture wants shallow. They want action without substance. They want effects over form. No story, and predictable. That's why reboots are the in thing, because people already know what's going to happen. That's why movies like the Avengers are such a big hit: a 2 1/2 hour fight scene without a plot doesn't require any brain power to comprehend. You even see this trend in video games, with the fall of strategy-based games and the rise of the modern FPS. Any entertainment that dares to go against this has a tough battle ahead of them. It is just more profitable to make what people want to see. Thus if ever a change is to happen, it has to be with the audience first. When the companies see the audience wants something more than cheap, lifeless rehash they'll give it to them.

you sir, my alter self(just kidding) are a freakin philosopher. but I agree. there was more infasis on action with no plot, plus the additional modern language{like foul language(ugh)] so no one wants complicated plots or like double twists, original content, or plots. if this doesn't change, Disney WILL eventually lose star wars, and what will the next manic that gets ahold of it do. unless it changes, say good bye to new, logical, constructive star wars canon. by the way, are their any new legends books available?
do you know what really makes me mad? that the NR didn't make as many different SSDs as the empire. they would have won much faster had they done so. it's just not fair. but, if their were more NR SSDs, they would be absolute SUPER-CARRIERS.

but, i'm a member of the PA at heart, and my wish here is to join the ranks of grand admirals... sorry, the elite imperial alignment

December 15, 2016, 05:29:10 PMReply #30

Offline Revanchist

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +42/-5
  • I am Revan reborn. And before me you are nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2016, 05:29:10 PM »
you sir, my alter self(just kidding) are a freakin philosopher. but I agree. there was more infasis on action with no plot, plus the additional modern language[like foul language(ugh)] so no one wants complicated plots or like double twists, original content, or plots. if this doesn't change, Disney WILL eventually lose star wars, and what will the next manic that gets ahold of it do. unless it changes, say good bye to new, logical, constructive star wars canon. by the way, are their any new legends books available?

Heh, more like a procrastinator. I had this sitting halfway completed on my phone for quite some time and just didn't get around to finishing it. I think by the time Disney loses Star Wars they will have milked every last drop out of the franchise so basically no one will be willing to touch it for some time. The only ones that will would more than likely be those brave enough to try something different as well, so who knows. That's a long ways off though.

To answer your question, no there aren't any new Legends novels nor will there be. That's probably what irks me the most about the separation of Disney-canon and EU. The Mouse House's other big franchise (Marvel) has proven that two universes can coexist and both do rather well (Cinematic and Comic Universes). But they didn't do that with Star Wars. They just halted all EU works. I mean, at least they could have finished off the main novel and comic storylines. It didn't have to be so abrupt
"History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

"But...it was so artistically done."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

Member of the Imperial Alignment

December 15, 2016, 06:29:25 PMReply #31

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2016, 06:29:25 PM »
Heh, more like a procrastinator. I had this sitting halfway completed on my phone for quite some time and just didn't get around to finishing it. I think by the time Disney loses Star Wars they will have milked every last drop out of the franchise so basically no one will be willing to touch it for some time. The only ones that will would more than likely be those brave enough to try something different as well, so who knows. That's a long ways off though.

To answer your question, no there aren't any new Legends novels nor will there be. That's probably what irks me the most about the separation of Disney-canon and EU. The Mouse House's other big franchise (Marvel) has proven that two universes can coexist and both do rather well (Cinematic and Comic Universes). But they didn't do that with Star Wars. They just halted all EU works. I mean, at least they could have finished off the main novel and comic storylines. It didn't have to be so abrupt
like rumors surface 1-2 years back about a series of books and comic books about the warlords and giving more detail to them, but sadly it was gassed like the rest of the EU(You get the joke)
"YOU ARE NOT PREPARED!"

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!