Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: Era One - Galactic Conquest Breakdown  (Read 20818 times)

September 24, 2016, 05:17:25 PM

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
Era One - Galactic Conquest Breakdown
« on: September 24, 2016, 05:17:25 PM »
2.2 is bringing a lot of overhauled content to the table, and Galactic Conquest scenarios are no exception. The GC selection and era system of previous versions did a decent job of capturing the overall themes, but there were some things we really wanted to change. Some GCs ended up trying to cover too much, and some GCs ended up being a little redundant. For 2.2 we sat down and basically re-planned all of our scenarios from the ground up (get it?). We'll be posting 7 updates of this type to outline the changes; one per era, one for progressive GCs, and one for GCs which don't fit into those categories (though eras 3 and 4 may be combined for the breakdown, we'll see when we get there). There will probably be some changes between what you read in these updates and the final release, but nothing too major.

With all of the GCs in the mod, once of the things we wanted to do was to inject a little bit more of the story and lore where possible, so in 2.2 you'll see a few more events thrown into the GC for different rewards or to cover different plot points. Some of these will be mentioned in the update, but not exhaustively. The era system does a decent job of covering the broad strokes of the post-Endor story, but there's still some gaps it leaves and we essentially want to make that a little more fluid and try to have some story progression in GCs which don't cover multiple eras. Era 4, for example, is pretty compact; there's only one major conflict in the time period (Daala trying to reunite the Empire while fighting the NR), but with others there's a lot to represent and having "the era 5 GC" just didn't do it justice.

Now, for the first set. Era 1 has always had Isard on the Lusankya as the sole leader of the Empire, which got the job done but condensed things a bit too much considering Lusankya spent most of this period under a city and Sate Pestage was more or less in charge before Isard (there was another guy between them, but he didn't really do much). Having just Fractured Empire and The Stars Align, which were altogether too similar in content also left out a lot of the bigger campaigns in what was actually a pretty hectic period, and that's what we're trying to cover here with these changes. So, we've refocused The Stars Align to be more localized to the Pentastar Alignment, and split Fractured Empire into the 2 GCs; Endor Aftermath and The Bacta War.

The Stars Align
"The New Order has never fallen. Only the Emperor. … The Emperor may be dead, but the Empire lives on!"
―Grand Moff Ardus Kaine

Time Covered: Pentastar Talks (4ABY)

This GC essentially gives the option of a small campaign within Era One for Pentastar players, focusing on the formation of the Pentastar Alignment and the Pentastar Talks between Grand Moff Kaine and the various groupss that form the Alignment. In 2.1, The Stars Align was meant to focus on this but ultimately ended up containing the majority of Fractured Empire as well, so these changes (initially planned by new team member, Kucsidave) should refocus the scenario and with its focus on the Alignment, give it a bit more of a reason to exist on its own.

Factions:
New Republic - Hast
Imperial Remnant - Orinda
Pentastar Alignment - Entralla

Endor Aftermath
"It's just that, after every major victory, I hope the fighting is over. But it'll never be over…Even after we defeat the Imperials, there will be someone…another threat to peace…"
―Wedge Antilles

Time Covered: Delvardus Campaign (4ABY) - Liberation of Coruscant (6ABY)

This GC covers the initial expansion of the New Republic and the rise of Imperial Warlords. The battle of Endor has left the Empire in shambles, caused infighting within its political and military branches and allowing the New Republic to make several key gains. The Pentastar Alignment, Zsinj, Eriadu Authority and Greater Maldrood all hope to establish themselves as the legitimate successors to the Empire, and have the benefit of starting with their territory already consolidated. Within this GC, the Remnant starts out with Sate Pestage as its head. However, if Coruscant is taken, Pestage flees and Isard takes over with the Lusankya (or if Pestage is killed before then), essentially splitting the GC into two mini eras. Imperial players can also opt to support Isard earlier if they put in the resources to extricate Lusankya from Coruscant themselves.

Factions:
New Republic - Endor
Imperial Remnant - Coruscant
Pentastar Alignment - Entralla
Eriadu Authority - Eriadu
Warlord Zsinj - Serenno
Greater Maldrood - Centares

Bacta War
"Rebel forces are indeed now in control of Imperial Center. What they have discovered, though they know not the depth of the problem, is that Imperial Center is a poisoned world, a sick world. It is a black hole from which they cannot escape."
-Ysanne Isard

Time Covered: Mission Above Imperial City (7ABY) - Battle of Thyferra (7 ABY)

After the fall of Coruscant, elements within the New Republic differed on what should be their course of action. As she left the planet, Isard on the Lusankya unleashed the Krytos Virus, a bioweapon developed by Evir Derricote which targeted non-humans. Isard then took Thyferra, allowing her to control the galaxy's supply of healing bacta. Wedge Antilles and Rogue Squadron wanted to raid Thyferra for the Bacta and focus on removing Isard, but the New Republic instead chose to target Warlord Zsinj, believing him to be the greater threat. Despite this, Antilles and Rogue Squadron still undertook the mission to cure the virus. This GC primarily sees the Imperial Remnant and New Republic fighting over the core worlds, with Zsinj waiting at the edges of the galaxy to strike. It also includes a series of events for the New Republic involving finding a cure for the Krytos Virus, which will place penalties on New Republic worlds from the start of the campaign until it is cured.

Factions:
New Republic - Coruscant
Imperial Remnant - Thyferra
Warlord Zsinj - Serenno

That's it for now. Hopefully this gives you a decent idea of where we're going with these changes. These updates will be interspersed with faction profiles and "We Could Be Heroes" editions until we've completed them all, so stay tuned. Also, I (Corey) have been doing some very early preview playthroughs of 2.2 content on my personal youtube channel, so if you want to check that out it can be found here.

If you have any suggestions, critiques or anything else you want to discuss for the mod, head over to our forums at www.thrawnsrevenge.com/forums.
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

September 24, 2016, 05:43:22 PMReply #1

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
  • Approval: +56/-9
  • Don't turn around you moron, ATTACK!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Era One - Galactic Conquest Breakdown
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2016, 05:43:22 PM »
This sounds like REALLY awesome changes.

So Endor Aftermath is a multi-era (within a single era) scenario?
People should not be afraid of their government...governments should be afraid of their people.

September 24, 2016, 05:44:10 PMReply #2

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2016, 05:44:10 PM »
Just to add, these changes are definitely an area where we'd like feedback on whether we're going in the right direction or not, considering a good portion of our dedicated playerbase is probably more familiar with not just the source material but also the GCs from previous versions than we are.
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

September 24, 2016, 05:49:58 PMReply #3

Offline Darth Red

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2016, 05:49:58 PM »
Corey & the team, you are teasing hard!  :D

September 24, 2016, 07:17:26 PMReply #4

Offline Mat8876

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +14/-12
  • Disney stop closing the website down, I mean it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2016, 07:17:26 PM »
With the Bacta war gc you spoke about the virus having penalties on NR planets what sort of penalties are you thinking about?
A Member of the Imperial Alignment(Allies With The Shadow Post Empire).

\\\"Challenge and diversity make us strong. Too much protection can prevent us from learning, from reaching our potential. We can learn from others, but we must also learn from our own experiences. . . and our own mistakes.\\\" Luke Skywalker

\\\"An elegant weapon for a more civilized time, eh? Well, guess what? Times have changed!\\\" RC-01/138

September 24, 2016, 07:52:06 PMReply #5

Offline Illidan Stormrage

• Admiral
  • Approval: +17/-10
  • Killing a Emperor doesnt end a Empire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2016, 07:52:06 PM »
Just to add, these changes are definitely an area where we'd like feedback on whether we're going in the right direction or not, considering a good portion of our dedicated playerbase is probably more familiar with not just the source material but also the GCs from previous versions than we are.
I think stars align should be a little bigger like 35 planets. Planets like Telos and Etti, and maybe add Eradiu Authority to Bacta war and stars align (the are kind of Rivals Eradiu and PA)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 07:58:48 PM by AdmrialThrawn2 »
"The Empire did nothing wrong obviously" :)
"Your Memes will make a fine addition to my collection"
"YOU ARE NOT PREPARED!"

September 24, 2016, 08:39:14 PMReply #6

Offline Avarice1987

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2016, 08:39:14 PM »
Good work, im happy to Play this Fantastic Scenarios in the Future.

Is the AI from Maldrood, Eriadu and Zsinj more aggressiv? I hope the AI can be danger for the Player

September 25, 2016, 12:07:45 AMReply #7

Offline hellblazer

• Stormtrooper Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2016, 12:07:45 AM »
This looks really cool. I really like it. You ARE in the right direction  ;). And I guessed right with the Bacta War. Well, sort of haha.
To answer you AdmiralThrawn2, adding the EA to Bacta War wouldn't make sense as for that time, they only controlled one planet, Kampe.
Ans in Stars Align, they said that they want to make it a PA campaign, so adding lots of planets would essentially make it look like Endor Aftermath. And the EA is too far away to be involved.
Also, what kind of hero would Pestage be? A spy? Or one that grants bonuses? Or both haha?

September 25, 2016, 01:45:37 AMReply #8

Offline derp

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +4/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2016, 01:45:37 AM »
I'm looking forward to this over new games coming out.
"I am not the Lord Darth Vader--I do not spend my men recklessly. Nor do I take their deaths lightly."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

September 25, 2016, 01:59:37 AMReply #9

Offline Pali

• Tester
  • Admiral
  • Approval: +39/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2016, 01:59:37 AM »
Really like the direction you're going in, especially the inclusion of Krytos effects and the IR having the Isard/Pestage changeover.  Letting the same campaign have multiple ways to be played is always a plus.

September 25, 2016, 02:06:04 AMReply #10

Offline kucsidave

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +44/-4
  • Don't fear your Demons. Make them fear YOU.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2016, 02:06:04 AM »
I think stars align should be a little bigger like 35 planets. Planets like Telos and Etti, and maybe add Eradiu Authority to Bacta war and stars align (the are kind of Rivals Eradiu and PA)
from one side, hellblazer answered the question, but there is more to it.
To answer you AdmiralThrawn2, adding the EA to Bacta War wouldn't make sense as for that time, they only controlled one planet, Kampe.
Ans in Stars Align, they said that they want to make it a PA campaign, so adding lots of planets would essentially make it look like Endor Aftermath. And the EA is too far away to be involved.
And on the other hand, we didn't wanted to make it too big. Since the warlords will be involved has the consequence that some small GC will be bigger than they were. I wanted to counter it with one or two becoming smaller, so people who just want a taste but not a full blown war lasting a hundred week can have fun too. Bigger is not always better.
Also since this GC still has all the PA planets, therefore ended up somewhere around 25 planets, which is already larger than what I originally intended.
"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster.
And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche

September 25, 2016, 02:23:16 AMReply #11

Offline Labria

• Brevet Admiral
  • I have good feeling about this
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2016, 02:23:16 AM »
New scenarios looks great! Good work. I'm looking forward to more news.  8=)
I have a few questions:
Why Zsinj doesn't have access to CSA planets in Bacta war? So no Lucrehulk and others CSA units in this scenario. ???
What about add Delvardus campaign as small scenario focus on Eriadu Authority and his fight against New republic?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 02:26:10 AM by Labria »

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”
Yoda

September 25, 2016, 03:16:13 AMReply #12

Offline c-sa

• Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2016, 03:16:13 AM »
These changes look amazing, I love the attention to detail and the more story-focused nature of the GCs.

September 25, 2016, 09:33:18 AMReply #13

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2016, 09:33:18 AM »
New scenarios looks great! Good work. I'm looking forward to more news.  8=)
I have a few questions:
Why Zsinj doesn't have access to CSA planets in Bacta war? So no Lucrehulk and others CSA units in this scenario. ???
What about add Delvardus campaign as small scenario focus on Eriadu Authority and his fight against New republic?
I agree very much with that statement that Zsinj needs Cooperate Sector planets.
"YOU ARE NOT PREPARED!"

September 25, 2016, 10:37:28 AMReply #14

Offline Tortique

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +1/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2016, 10:37:28 AM »
Looks cool, especialy Endor Aftermath and The Stars Align, but the last could have a bit more planets and the question is how many SSDs will be present, if there is Lusankya and Reaper I predict NR being smashed very fast and the winner will be the player who will destroy enemy SSD. Direction you are going is right with no doubt from every perspective.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 10:49:41 AM by Tortique »

September 25, 2016, 01:34:32 PMReply #15

Offline Jorritkarwehr

• Mod Team Member
  • Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2016, 01:34:32 PM »
Excellent work! Maldrood and Eriadu start with a bit more territory than I expected, but that's not necessarily a problem.

September 25, 2016, 04:56:19 PMReply #16

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
  • Approval: +134/-14
  • Nothing shall withstand my ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2016, 04:56:19 PM »
I confess myself both impressed and intrigued
"I do not intend to be the Emperor's servant forever..."-High Inquisitor Jerec

"The New Order has never fallen. Only the Emperor."-Grand Moff Ardus Kaine

September 25, 2016, 06:55:22 PMReply #17

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2016, 06:55:22 PM »
With the Bacta war gc you spoke about the virus having penalties on NR planets what sort of penalties are you thinking about?

We'll break that down a bit later.

Why Zsinj doesn't have access to CSA planets in Bacta war? So no Lucrehulk and others CSA units in this scenario.

Hellblazer and Dave pretty much covered this. The point of The Stars Align is to have a smaller, more localized GC since those are few and far between in the mod. It's the entire reason TSA exists in the first place since otherwise, Endor Aftermath pretty much covers its subject matter.  Adding Telos, Etti (which would be part of Zsinj's Empire and the Eriadu Authority to The Stars Align means the only difference between Endor Aftermath and The Stars Align is Maldrood not being in it, and we end up with the exact same problem I said used to exist with The Stars Align in 2.1, where it was just a very slight difference from Fractured Empire.

For Eriadu in Bacta War, as Hellblazer pointed out as well, the Eriadu Authority had already been pushed entirely to the Deep Core 2 years before the Bacta War started. As for Zsinj's reduced presence (not having his CSA territory), Zsinj is not the focus of that GC so his territory will not be as large nor as important in Bacta War. He's already fully represented in Endor Aftermath, and has his own GC in era 2 as well. He doesn't need to be everywhere, and he was still in the process of capturing the Corporate Sector when it started technically. We don't want to dilute the GCs too much, that's why we're making these changes in the first place.

Also, what kind of hero would Pestage be? A spy? Or one that grants bonuses? Or both haha?

He'll be in the same vein as Mothma, Raquoran or base-game Tarkin.

For now the Delvardus Campaign is solely going to be present as part of Endor Aftermath. A Western Reaches/Trailing Sector localized campaign similar to Stars Align is on our shortlist for future GC options, but we've already given ourselves a ton to do in the meantime (as you'll see with the upcoming posts), so for now we're leaving it as-is.

Looks cool, especialy Endor Aftermath and The Stars Align, but the last could have a bit more planets and the question is how many SSDs will be present, if there is Lusankya and Reaper I predict NR being smashed very fast and the winner will be the player who will destroy enemy SSD. Direction you are going is right with no doubt from every perspective.

Lusankya will not be, since it was still buried at this point. Because of the size, we may end up making it so you have to build Reaper or something.

September 25, 2016, 07:29:01 PMReply #18

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2016, 07:29:01 PM »
Is Zsinj now considered a era 2 Gc?
"YOU ARE NOT PREPARED!"

September 25, 2016, 08:20:48 PMReply #19

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
  • Approval: +134/-14
  • Nothing shall withstand my ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2016, 08:20:48 PM »
Lusankya will not be, since it was still buried at this point. Because of the size, we may end up making it so you have to build Reaper or something.

Reaper was already long commissioned by that point and had been in service under Kaine for about 4 years. Wouldn't make sense to have her buildable.
"I do not intend to be the Emperor's servant forever..."-High Inquisitor Jerec

"The New Order has never fallen. Only the Emperor."-Grand Moff Ardus Kaine

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!